blackberry to droid conversion?

cshulman

Reaction score
I'm a heavy email user. I have a blackberry tour. i'm considering switching to a droid - but am somewhat aprehensive about losing the real keyboard. Is it a hard transition to a virtual keyboard? Will it slow me down a lot? Is the Motorola Droid keyboard easy to use?

DroidNinja

Reaction score
Good question. I've been a BB user forever it seems and im thinking of switching over to the Droid X... I plan to keep my BB, cant fathom not having one but am curious as well about the virtual keyboard. Any one have any thoughts?

kristoff125

Reaction score
The touch keyboards slow you down at first, but with the predictive typing they actually can be extremely quick.
Swype is nice if it's your thing, excessively fast.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am faster my touchscreen than I am with the physical let of the time. I've heard that the X'shuge screen makes typing even easier. Can't wait to get mine.

onmyway

Reaction score
One of those places where we have a lot of sweet t
Current Phone Model
G N 4
The major difference is width. I cannot go into duel thumb mode on the droid. One of the attractions for me was the triple keypad choices. Landscape, portrait, side out. I tested the droids out extensively before bought in. I suggest you go to a retailer too. I also appreciate predictive but hate building the dictionary and admit I am shedding my patience level with my age. Therefore I warn you I wound up downlading a different keyboard, it works for me........Also, I was having an odd fingertip/ cuticle cracking, steroid creme treated issue thats now completely resolved. I think it was from pounding on the keypad on the blackberry, the dare, or hint device keyboards I previousy had and the constant oil removal from the hammering sometimes angrily on the keypad.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The touch keyboards slow you down at first, but with the predictive typing they actually can be extremely quick.
Swype is nice if it's your thing, excessively fast.

or ShapeWriter or some other app.. there are a few like it. i will say this though: i got the droid because it had the physical keyboard, i thought i couldn't live without it. BUT since using swype and/or shapewriter, i hardly ever use the physical keyboard anymore.. the big screen makes typing on a touch screen very VERY easy. but it does take a little getting used to. like kristoff said, it will slow you down to begin with. give it a week or so.

ps: email works flawlessly on the droid. try K9

mkcb

Reaction score
switching from berry to droid - think carefully

I just switched so I am a total newbie. But I find the droid email has a lot of drawbacks compared to the blackberry. See my earlier thread on this forum.

The email that comes loaded on the phone is no comparison tot he berry. You can't forward pictures or attachments from email you receive on the droid. You can't save pics (at least from non gmail email) to your phone or anywhere else. There are no settings for saving a certain number of days of email. The manual keyboard is a little awkward but the screen is pretty good. Also, it seems like it tries to load the emails instead of saving them on the phone so it can take a little while to get them on the screen. Droid doesn't check email as quickly. It does have a nice feature for advancing to the next email. The pics on droid can be imbedded in the email and they come up very quickly.

if you are trying to use a branded email account that isn't gmail - see about test driving a droid.

I am still trying to get answers about the email issues I am experiencing. I'll probably be paying to switch back to the blackberry. I must say my children love the aps on the droid - the aps blow the berry away!

kristoff125

Reaction score
I just switched so I am a total newbie. But I find the droid email has a lot of drawbacks compared to the blackberry. See my earlier thread on this forum.

The email that comes loaded on the phone is no comparison tot he berry. You can't forward pictures or attachments from email you receive on the droid. You can't save pics (at least from non gmail email) to your phone or anywhere else. There are no settings for saving a certain number of days of email. The manual keyboard is a little awkward but the screen is pretty good. Also, it seems like it tries to load the emails instead of saving them on the phone so it can take a little while to get them on the screen. Droid doesn't check email as quickly. It does have a nice feature for advancing to the next email. The pics on droid can be imbedded in the email and they come up very quickly.

if you are trying to use a branded email account that isn't gmail - see about test driving a droid.

I am still trying to get answers about the email issues I am experiencing. I'll probably be paying to switch back to the blackberry. I must say my children love the aps on the droid - the aps blow the berry away!

I'll ask once again since you didn't respond on your original post, what email app do you use?
We can't help you if you don't help us =\.