Black Screen - Unresponsive

BlackWS6LS1

Reaction score
Folks,
I know I have read a post about this last week, but I can't find it in search. It has only happened to me once before today, but today this is the 3rd time I've grabbed my phone the notification light is blinking with something but the power button does not bring it out of sleep. I try volume and nothing. The only thing I have found is pulling the battery.
Next time it happens I'm going to call myself to see if the screen wakes up.
I'm thinking that 3 times in one day is very unacceptable. Does have one else have any info on this?
Thanks
Tom

idefiler6

Reaction score
If you didn't root and remove the wrong bloat, then it sounds defective and I'd take it back.

OP
B

BlackWS6LS1

Reaction score
I figured everyone was going to say that.... What can I use to backup all the apps and settings that I have so SD and have them change that over to the phone.

Infiniti87

Reaction score
Folks,
I know I have read a post about this last week, but I can't find it in search. It has only happened to me once before today, but today this is the 3rd time I've grabbed my phone the notification light is blinking with something but the power button does not bring it out of sleep. I try volume and nothing. The only thing I have found is pulling the battery.
Next time it happens I'm going to call myself to see if the screen wakes up.
I'm thinking that 3 times in one day is very unacceptable. Does have one else have any info on this?
Thanks
Tom

Here is the link to the other thread http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...2-random-shut-downs-require-battery-pull.html

I have had this happen to me twice so far. Once on Saturday 9/10 and once Sunday 9/11 and both times that its happened I have been on the 4G network. Now im not sure if the 4G has anything to do with it but yesterday (Monday) and today i have left the phone on CDMA 3G only and I have not had it go unresponsive. Tomorrow I will run all day on 4G and see if it locks up. Im not sure how using 4G could cause it to become unresponsive or if it even could cause it but im just doing a little investigating for my own curiosity. I just find it a little odd it locked up two days in a row with 4G and ive had no problems with CDMA only.

Also from the reports ive been reading it doesn't matter if your rooted or stock they are both locking up. I wouldn't worry about exchanging your device just yet. There are threads about this issue over at the Motorola forums so they are aware and are hopefully working on a fix.

Droid_Fanatic

Reaction score
I don't think it has anything to do with 4G. I have LTE turned off since currently I am never in a 4G area and I experienced the same black screen. Since that time I haven't had the issue again, I did switch the battery mode to performance mode right after it happened but do not know if that helped keep it from happening again our not.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
B

BlackWS6LS1

Reaction score
I don't think its a 4G thing because I was in an area today that is only 3G.

Infiniti87

Reaction score
I don't think it has anything to do with 4G. I have LTE turned off since currently I am never in a 4G area and I experienced the same black screen. Since that time I haven't had the issue again, I did switch the battery mode to performance mode right after it happened but do not know if that helped keep it from happening again our not.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Lol well that solves it right there. I was just curious since I havent seen anybody specify whether it happens in 4g, 3G or both.

haimez

Reaction score
I live in a college town with no 4G. Only had the black screen issue happen to me once though. It might not be totally unrelated to data speed, but it can definitely happen in CDMA only mode.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Mine has happened twice when it was sleeping. I hit the power button, 10 minutes later I tried to "wake" it and I had to pull the battery. It's not your phone, motorola is aware but who knows when they will fix it.

shobe

Reaction score
I had this happen to me on Sunday after trying to change my wallpaper from within QuickPic. The phone rebooted then went into "safe mode" according to the VZW staff. I took it in and they set my phone back to stock. The second guy who walked up asked if I had a cover on the phone. I did so he said the same thing happened to his wife's X due to the power button and volume button being pressed by the case. He fixed it by cutting the buttons out of the case. Don't think that's what happened in my case, but just thought I'd share.

OP
B

BlackWS6LS1

Reaction score
Good to hear (except for the part they don't know when they will fix it) I don't have to spend a whole other week installing apps and settings. :)

Artimis

Reaction score
The OG droid use to have this problem as well. There was all sorts of speculation as to what caused it. It was found to not be kernel related....

One thing that was found was actually something really bizarre that one wouldn't expect. It had to do with corrupted image thumbnails in the DCIM directory. Apparently, the phone would sometimes perform a media scan and would lock up because of this. Manually clearing out the thumbnails and regenerating would fix the issue for a lot of people.

Granted this may not be the same thing since there could be a number of root causes manifesting this same symptom.....but it couldn't hurt to try :)

OP
B

BlackWS6LS1

Reaction score
How do you go about, deleting and re-creating the thumbs nails.

doctordoctor

Reaction score
hasn't happened to me since i rooted the 2nd time. but i know it is only a matter of time before i need to tear apart my otter box and then using my car keys RIP out the battery and hope i stop knicking my 4g card