black on black problem in first theme

lurch81

Reaction score
Not sure where to put this but I am making my first theme and its for Sapphire 2.0.0 and have made a lot of progress today mainly borrowing things from 2 themes i like(with permission of course) and I have one problem of black on black text on buttons and have no idea how to correct it. Anyone willing to give me a hand I would greatly appreciate it feel free to gtalk me Rustylurch thanks!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Learning to theme myself! Ok if I follow along?

DroidForums junkie!!

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Sounds like you are editting a lighter shaded button, that calls for black text, to black.....either lighten the png or you will need to isolate the xml that specifies that text color, and change it from ff000000 to ffffffff (or any other light color code)

OP
L

lurch81

Reaction score
Hmm guess I got searching to do to figure out where all these text colors go....I started with stock sapphire and added darker buttons I wonder if I started with dark theme would I have this problem?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hmm guess I got searching to do to figure out where all these text colors go....I started with stock sapphire and added darker buttons I wonder if I started with dark theme would I have this problem?

You just can't make light buttons black unless the font is a neutral color like my blues or bronzes... if the text is supposed to be black, then the button cannot be black...wouldn't matter what theme you used.... but if that theme has the buttons you want black already black, then you're set...;)

OP
L

lurch81

Reaction score
Yeah guess I need to find a theme that already has this problem fixed cause I am lost on doing xmls

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yeah guess I need to find a theme that already has this problem fixed cause I am lost on doing xmls

It's not that it is a problem being fixed, it;s just that theme had that button black and the font set to a light color...

to edit XMLs, you'd need to decompile them... APKManager is a good start for you, if you already don't have it...

OP
L

lurch81

Reaction score
What if I used the smoked glass theme as the base? It has white on black so if I put black buttons shouldn't affect anything?

OP
L

lurch81

Reaction score
Use this thread, it will tell you how to change that text color and a few others...

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...ming-guide-changing-system-text-settings.html

I do "Blacked Out" theme, let me know if you have any other text color issues....

thanks this is very helpful now i have a good guide to start tinkering with xml's
Got one problem though when i open an xml in notepad it looks nothing like your examples i get like question marks and a word here and there

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
thanks this is very helpful now i have a good guide to start tinkering with xml's
Got one problem though when i open an xml in notepad it looks nothing like your examples i get like question marks and a word here and there

You have to decompile the XMLs in order to edit them with Notepad (I suggest Notepad++) .... that's what I was talking about when referencing APKManager for you

OP
L

lurch81

Reaction score
Yeah posted before thinking lol thanks again

OP
L

lurch81

Reaction score
think i might have got this sorted out flashing now to test thanks again for your help every1