Bionic versions

kotywright

Reaction score
I currently run with version 5.5.886.XT875.Verizon.US my question is is that a good version, is there a newer version, and if so how do I aquire the newer version?? And what is a kernel and what is a root?? If not noticed im completely in the dark and new to this but willing to learn

K.Wright

wseyller

Reaction score
There has been no official OTA release yet. There are leaked versions of the system/kernel/radio. It is not for the faint of heart to flash the leaks. I would advise against it unless you really know what you are doing. At this time you cannot reverse the update to the leaked kernel/radio.

Kernel in simple explanation is what allows the software to interact with the hardware.

Rooting is a method to give you or software you allow to have elevated permissions. This is useful for various task such as backup/restore of the file system. Making changes to files that would have not been given permission. Some tether apps require root. Some apps such as to take screenshots. Freezing or removing stock apps that you normally could not uninstall.

First step in any of this is to learn more about rooting. It is not too complicated.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can look at http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html (ignore the title) for what root is. You can find out about Kernels at How To Install Kernels On Android Phones [Custom ROMS]

As for your version, there will be an update soon. It'll be Over The Air (aka OTA) so what you'll see is an announcement to install. Select "Yes" and it'll install. There are "leaked" versions now, but as there are several versions with mixed results, I suggest waiting. You'll see threads saying "I GOT THE UPDATE :icon_ banana:" when it rolls out. And it'll be COMPLETELY RANDOM when it does.