Bionic Skins?

OP
Lakilaulea

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
There is a Skinomi "How-to" which will give you the basics on how to install it here:
[video=youtube;nv7jzxN0peM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv7jzxN0peM[/video]

My install for the Bionic follows.

The Skinomi carbon fiber skins are the first ones I have ever used a hair dryer on. Unlike PhantomSkinz, Ghost Armor, Zagg, etc that are a very flexible wet install, the Skinomi is a dry install. The material is actually 3M Scotchprint carbon fiber film (the same stuff people use to do carbon fiber effects on their cars). To start off, this is how the skin comes from Skinomi:

IMG_0334.jpg

As this is a dual cast vinyl film designed for cars typically, it is much more rigid than a typical skin. However, it is not so rigid that you cannot bend it to make sure you have it properly placed before heating. Once you have the skin placed in the correct place, on areas with big bends you heat it with a hair dryer to make it more flexible so you can stretch it and work it around the bends a bit easier. Once the film cools down it will "harden" to the shape of the device (the hair dryer step is needed on the bottom piece that covers the front mic and the bottom edge of the phone and the back the most, but it helps to put the top edge on as well).

The Bionic is the third Skinomi carbon fiber skin I have done. What I typically do is install the big back piece first. It's really big and "less delicate" in my opinion and therefore a little more forgiving as you're getting used to the feel of trying to shape it. the fit for the back to the flat edges are almost perfect. It's the corners that I "stretch" a little bit to make the edges touch to get the most coverage (you can see on the corners of the picture of the back in the post above that there are very minor spots that it doesn't cover).

Next, I did those two strips for the sides. This is the part that I didn't do "perfect" for the OCD person, you can see a couple spots where it's not "perfectly straight" and a little bit of the edge shows but it fits perfectly along the side if you are meticulous and patient. I DID NOT heat this part to install it, just do it cold as it is a flat section of the phone and the rigidity of the film actually helps in keeping it straight.

Here comes the tricky parts for my install (it's not that bad, really). The top and bottom will wrap around to near the side pieces. I installed the top edge of the phone cold (the rigidity helps here again). Once the top edge is straight, bend the edges down to see approximately how much you will have to stretch it (typically only a millimeter or two) but try to not let it stick (it's okay if it does a little, it's a very forgiving film especially when it's cold and never heated yet). Now that you know how much you will need to stretch it, heat the edges up, pull a little to stretch it the amount you need, then finish the installation of the top strip. If there is a very miniscule gap left between the top piece and the side piece, you can heat the area, slide the film the last micron you need, and hold it until it cools back down and it will solidify there.

The bottom piece I started on the front microphone area first (use the microphone hole to help align it and get it as close to the top edge of that area as possible. Again do not heat it yet. Fold it over the bottom edge and eyeball it to make sure that once you heat it to curve it around the edge, it will fit right. Now do the sides again like the top piece. The bottom piece has longer "edge pieces" and heat will definitely help you shape it and as the ears are so long, it will be easier to stretch to match up with the side pieces. However, when I did this piece, I used heat to make sure that that ear bends with the phone correct first, then I used heat to stretch the last part to match up with the side pieces.

This is something I do last. it's not required I don't think but I wait 5 minutes for everything to cool before I do a final heat with the hair dryer. This I believe is to activate the adhesive in any spots that you did "cold" and to make sure that it's warm enough to mold to any curves you did cold. Skinomi just says to run over it with a hair dryer right after you finish but I like to let it cool 5 minutes so I can see that everything is aligned before the final cure.

Hope this helps.

Thanks; you're awesome!! :hail: I was going back and forth between the carbon fiber and the woodgrain, and I think I'm gonna try out the dark woodgrain.... Just to change it up, you know? I saw on their website they want 6 bucks more than what they want for it if you buy it through them on Amazon... Why the discrepancy?? At any rate, I think I'll order it through Amazon, and hopefully, I'll do a good enough job to post some pics. Wish me luck!! :happy:

Diocat

Reaction score
Thanks; you're awesome!! :hail: I was going back and forth between the carbon fiber and the woodgrain, and I think I'm gonna try out the dark woodgrain.... Just to change it up, you know? I saw on their website they want 6 bucks more than what they want for it if you buy it through them on Amazon... Why the discrepancy?? At any rate, I think I'll order it through Amazon, and hopefully, I'll do a good enough job to post some pics. Wish me luck!! :happy:

If it's made with the same 3M materials I don't think you will have an issue with it. Good luck on the install though, I hope it goes smoothly for you. Just remember to be patient. Looking forward to seeing the pics! :happy:

I really don't know what the real reasoning for companies like Skinomi and Zagg charging $25 on their sites and only $15-20 on Amazon. I have always bought them off of Amazon though. I guess they're just trying to be somewhat competitive to the people who shop on Amazon and see those $3 protectors as well as with each other. :shrug:

Diocat

Reaction score
Ok, as some people over at xda asked if the skin would fit on an extended battery cover or not (it doesn't by design), I took my extra skin that I had and worked at it for 45 minutes and got it to this point and called it a night (I have obligations in the morning and was hoping it would not take this long but you have to work at it quite a bit to make it fit). I was hoping the difference in battery covers would only be about as drastic as the Droid X2's standard vs extended when I bought the skins blind, but I was wrong.

So as I said in an earlier post, I'm not the best at these, but this is case in point if you have the patience, you can make the standard skin fit on the extended cover. Just be extremely patient as you work the skin with the hair dryer to make it soft enough to drape it over the larger areas where the battery is on the extended battery cover (sides and bottom). The top and camera section still fits the same as the standard battery cover so I would start lining things up there first if you are going to attempt this endeavor.

As I said over at xda, this is just to show that it is possible to work the skin to fit the extended cover. It's obviously your choice if you want to do it or wait for someone to make and exact fit skin for the extended battery cover (which is typically rare). However, with 4G battery life the way it is, skin companies may start making extended battery skins.

Good luck if you plan on trying.

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

GBH2

Reaction score
Diocat - Great job! Thanks for posting the pictures. I think I am going to go this route - but I can't decide if I want to do Carbon fiber on the Back and Sides (as you did) or Clear on the front and sides and Carbon Fiber on just the Battery Door. Any chance of a couple of pictures of the phone from from a couple of angles? Also any thoughts you have on what I am thinking would be appreciated.

ps. I emailed Skinomi and they are working on an extended battery Carbon Fiber option(although what you did looks perfect)

Smeech

Reaction score
I bit the bullet on phantomskinz full body matte kit for the extended battery. 30% coupon code (fall30) made it $17.46 shipped.

I'll post up when I get it.

OP
Lakilaulea

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
I bit the bullet on phantomskinz full body matte kit for the extended battery. 30% coupon code (fall30) made it $17.46 shipped.

I'll post up when I get it.

Dang, I didn't even know about phantomskinz till you posted it. I ended up getting the Skinomi in dark wood. Thought it'd give my Bionic a "grown folk" look to it. I applied it yesterday, and although I like the look and feel of it, and the fact that it provides almost total coverage, some parts of it isn't sticking right even though I did the whole blow dryer trick. That was the first time I ordered from them; I usually get my skins from Gelaskins, but they're taking their sweet time getting the Bionic template (which is BS 'cause if you go their page, they already got a page almost ready for the iPhone5). I just saw that DecalGirl has the Bionic skins available now, and I know from past experience the quality of their skins are really good, but their designs are so juvenile and campy, and they don't cover nearly as much as the Skinomi one does. So I think I'll leave the one I have on for now and wait to see if/when Gelaskins get off their behinds and come out with the Bionic template.

Smeech

Reaction score
I did some digging at androidforums and bionicforums and found a link. It should be here tomorrow or Saturday at the latest, I'll take some pics post installation.

drdlvr

Reaction score
Just got an email from optishieldz and they have the pics up for the Bionic Carbon Fiber Skins for the Extended Battery! The black one looks awesome

View attachment 40773

Smeech

Reaction score
So I installed the phantomskinz tonight. I got the matte full body kit for extended battery option. The skin feels grippy, I like the feel a lot. However, the matte screen protector is unacceptable. It dulls sensitivity too much an makes the screen look like an Eris or Dare screen. It appears that know this though....two glossy screen protector were also included. They're better but the application tool leaves light marks on it..I'll see how I feel about it in a day or two.

Viktor Vaughn

Reaction score
I am not the best at installing these but my Skinomi carbon fiber skin came in earlier today and I had to install it as I prefer skins over cases (even though in the Otterbox Commuter thread you see that I have the Otterbox Commuter as well as the Incipio Silicrylic case). My install is not perfect, and if I had a little more patience and wasn't as tired I'm sure it would have come out a little bit better but under the circumstances I think it came out pretty good (good enough for me to stop playing with it). Side note: I had a carbon fiber Skinomi skin for my X2 so I already knew it was going to fit with fairly close tolerances when you work the skin a little with a hair dryer.

I'm sorry about the bad quality pics, I do not have the best environment for pictures, but at least you can get the idea of what it looks like on the Bionic. Also, the screen protector is a Zagg Invisible Shield because I prefer the feel of those over all the others (personal preference). While the Zagg comes with a big cutout on the top that spans from the camera to the light sensor (I think), the one that comes with the Skinomi only has two cutouts. One is cut specificly for the earpiece, and the other is a circular cutout for the camera. All the other sensors and LEDs are covered by the Skinomi "Techskin" screen protector.

IMG_0320.jpg

Back

IMG_0321.jpg

Volume Rocker Side

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

USB/HDMI Port Side

IMG_0324.jpg

Front Microphone Area

IMG_0332.jpg

Front of phone

That looks kind of dope!

HorsePony

Reaction score
It's not a decorative skin but it does protect the phone. I like the way my phone looks and I don't want to scratch it all up so this the best option for me.
Droid Bionic Protection: Ghost Armor Carbon Fiber Skins, Cases, Wraps, and Screen Protectors | Ghost Armor

I checked out the link....with Bionic accessories, I'm always very wary of 3rd party vendors who advertise product for the OLD Bionic phone form rather than the new one that's out and about in reality. Makes me think the product won't be fitted for the actual phone, but for what the phone looked like initially back in January.

lewblue83

Reaction score
i just installed the skinomi carbon fiber. and honestly for like 6 bucks shipped you cant go wrong. its some seriously high quality vinyl, and the install is very forgiving.

OP
Lakilaulea

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
So I just saw Motorola Bionic - Decalrus_Ultimate skinz has Bionic skins now. They're better looking than DecalGirl, but again, they only cover the front and back of the phone. I'm starting to like my "woodgrain" Skinomi more each day, but I'm still keeping my eye open for a design that looks a little less boring. But I might just keep them because so far they're the only manufacturers that skin the sides. Everyone else just has the front and back.

Although, the website above has them for pretty cheap....