bionic running slooowwww...what can I do?

kahuna

Reaction score
I have a bionic which is in excellent condition so I don't want to replace if I don't have to. The problem is that it runs extremely slow much of the time and as an example it can sometimes take 10 - 20 seconds to tap through the security lock and unlock the phone. Launching apps is equally slow and I've taken to running system panel lite to shut down apps after which it runs more quickly for a while. the phone is not rooted and is running 4.1.2. Is there any hope reducing the latency of this phone? thx!

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I am having the same issues. Sometimes it takes 10-15 seconds to get through my pattern lock. Other things are slow. I sometimes get the redraw issues reminiscent of the last days of my OG Droid. Chrome is unusable. No help for you, just a bump and monitor

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Any new apps that you guys just got? I've had phones go nuts when they dont like a particular app. Maybe try a factory reset and then live with it for a short while without any apps as a test. It's not like the Bionic is a slow phone so something has to be awry!

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Chromecast is my only new app in 6 months, but it was having issues before that

TechNewbie

Reaction score
Slow going, no knowledge

I am having the same issue, very suddenly, with my Bionic. It's been great for 2 years, but now it barely functions. Ironically, Verizon pushed through an "update" a couple months ago and that's when all the trouble started.
I have little to no knowledge in this area. Is there anything I can do to "undo" the update and/or otherwise improve its function? I haven't downloaded new apps recently and in fact have uninstalled a bunch to try to alleviate the problem. This may sound stupid, but does clearing the cache do anything?
I've spent the past 2 hours reading other posts. Would rooting allow me to improve the performance?
Thanks for any advice you can give.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I had about the same types of issues which got a little better when I stopped using stock browser and started using Dolphin browser as my default, but then I started seeing a small area under the screen which looked like some type of gel, around the area where the slide to unlock is, and my bionic again started doing the funny stuff occasionally but still better than it did when I used stock browser. Anyways I got tired of it and contacted VZW for a replacement (I have extended warranty $1.99/ Mo) and they just sent me a CLNR Bionic and it's been running very good on 4.1.2 that it came with. Not sure if the bionics that we all have is just having these problems due to the amount of time we had them for or not, but it definitely is better now with the replacement Bionic....JFYI

Reaction score
FWIW, I've tried wiping, resets, eliminating the window and transition delays, etc. My Bionic is stock but rooted; my son's is bone stock. They're both slow as tar. I think they just can't handle Jelly Bean.

No solution that I know of, except getting a new phone. I hate to do that, because both our Bionics are in excellent condition. But, I'll sometimes wait more than a minute for apps to launch, screen presses to register, etc. Just can't tolerate it any more.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
FWIW, I've tried wiping, resets, eliminating the window and transition delays, etc. My Bionic is stock but rooted; my son's is bone stock. They're both slow as tar. I think they just can't handle Jelly Bean.

No solution that I know of, except getting a new phone. I hate to do that, because both our Bionics are in excellent condition. But, I'll sometimes wait more than a minute for apps to launch, screen presses to register, etc. Just can't tolerate it any more.

Well the good news is the newer phones are absolutely awesome! The Bionic was a good phone but if you go to a newer Moto or GS4 or LG G2 or Note, it will ease the pain!

Reaction score
Going for Nexus 5 over here. Also moving to prepaid monthly on T-Mo and giving up my unlimited data on VZW. Verizon is just too draconian with locking down its phones, etc. T-Mobile seems to want the business more, so I'll try them instead.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Going for Nexus 5 over here. Also moving to prepaid monthly on T-Mo and giving up my unlimited data on VZW. Verizon is just too draconian with locking down its phones, etc. T-Mobile seems to want the business more, so I'll try them instead.

Your unlimited account is worth about $200 on ebay. Just fyi!

chackett

Reaction score
My wife and I also both have the Bionic. For about 2 years they were awesome phones. Perfect size, fast, 4g .. good to go. Now they are almost unusable. What the heck happened to them? Mine is a little worse than the wife .. but they're both really awful.

Read the bit about selling the unlimited data plans from Verizon. We have two phones on this plan with Verizon on a month-to-month no contract scenario. I can't believe they are selling for >$550 .. guess I know how I'm funding my new phones...

But seriously .. if anyone has solved this other than with a new phone, I would be interested to hear about it.