Bionic lapdock $299.97

das2042

Reaction score
I think charging for tethering to use a data connection on a lapdock really hurts the entire "additional fee" argument for tethering.

1. People would say it is crazy to pay the tethering fee to use their HDMI out capability.
2. People would say it is crazy to pay the tethering fee to use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
3. People would say it is crazy to pay the tethering fee to use the HDMI out and a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
4. HDMI Out/Keyboard/Mouse ~ Lapdock Functionality
5. Lapdock Functionality with data ~ Tethering to a laptop (kind of a stretch, but you get the point)

But hey, I guess they have to draw the line somewhere if they want to make extra money of people who don't know any better.

What a minute, I was always under the assumption that the laptop just allowed for a bigger screen and you could still use you phones data without being charged for tethering. If that's not the case and I have to pay for tethering, why wouldn't I just use my laptop and tether with my phone. What a stupid, pointless attachment if that's the case

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What a minute, I was always under the assumption that the laptop just allowed for a bigger screen and you could still use you phones data without being charged for tethering. If that's not the case and I have to pay for tethering, why wouldn't I just use my laptop and tether with my phone. What a stupid, pointless attachment if that's the case

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

This is all based on AT&T's policy with the Atrix. Verizon may not follow suit on this one. But if they do, you can use wifi data all you want, but if you are using you data connection on the lapdock, you will be required to pay the tethering fee.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is all based on AT&T's policy with the Atrix. Verizon may not follow suit on this one. But if they do, you can use wifi data all you want, but if you are using you data connection on the lapdock, you will be required to pay the tethering fee.

If they make us pay tethering fees than they better lower the price of the lapdock by a lot!

OP
S

spider210

Reaction score
if its the same connection and if you can use extension cord to connect to the atrix one I'll be saving $100 and purchasing it on amazon

mjones73

Reaction score
All the lapdock does is give you a display, keyboard and touchpad in one device, the computing and data connection is still handled by the phone. It's a dumb terminal to allow you to use webtop, plugging the phone into a regular laptop does not give you the same effect.

From the post I read, tethering isn't required, AT&T was offering some rebate on the lapdock if you bundled tethering in with it.

If webtop looks like it's worth using, I'll just hang tight and wait to the prices drops then snag one...

Last edited:

wseyller

Reaction score
I remember seeing mention that the bionic webtop was much improved over the atrix version, whatever that means.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

GBH2

Reaction score
If I could get one for $150 - $200, I would get one. If I was forced to pay a tethering fee they would have to pay me to get one!

mjones73

Reaction score
I highly doubt you'll have to pay a tethering fee, that was some stunt AT&T pulled as part of a rebate/discount on the lapdock...

GBH2

Reaction score
I highly doubt you'll have to pay a tethering fee, that was some stunt AT&T pulled as part of a rebate/discount on the lapdock...

That would be great. Although it appears to be a stunt that ATT is continuing - I found this on the Amazon Lapdock page that Arkbird linked to:

(Note: The Motorola Lapdock requires the separately available Motorola ATRIX 4G, and an AT&T 4 GB DataPro with Tethering plan is required to use the Lapdock with your ATRIX 4G.)

mjones73

Reaction score
Hmm, now that I've looked into it even more, getting mixes stories, some say they are using it fine, other say they are paying for tethering, some are saying you only need tethering if you want to use Firefox... Guess we'll have to wait and see Verizon's stance on it.

GBH2

Reaction score
Hmm, now that I've looked into it even more, getting mixes stories, some say they are using it fine, other say they are paying for tethering, some are saying you only need tethering if you want to use Firefox... Guess we'll have to wait and see Verizon's stance on it.

I agree - we'll know soon enough.. I am hoping that Verizon will decide to not charge the tethering fee as any new customers will be paying for a tiered data plan anyway.