Bionic, Extended Battery, Otterbox, and Dremel....

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
After the first few days of using the extended battery/otterbox without the back cover for the otterbox I finally decided to make it permanent...

11%252520-%2525204.jpg

11%252520-%2525205.jpg

11%252520-%2525201.jpg

11%252520-%2525203.jpg

11%252520-%2525202.jpg

HeadBrewer

Reaction score
Hey there,

Was just thinking about doing the exact same thing. How did you like the outcome? Does it still fit in the holster? I'm thinking that perhaps something like a bit of thin rubber weatherstripping around the rough edge of the cut would be nice. It would leave just the back of the battery exposed to potential harm. But better the battery taking a shot than the actual phone.

obxsalvo

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Wha the.....? Oh well I guess you can get a new back cover cheep enough. I dont have the *guts's to do that to mine or the ability to try :D

Last edited by a moderator:

HeadBrewer

Reaction score
On second thought, the back cover is just rubber so if done neatly would be just fine leaving as is. You would never even know that you cut a bit of it out. Well done. If it still fits in the holster I will definitely be doing this.

Last edited:
OP
DF Smod

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
It fits in the holster just like it did before, I made the cut, filed the edges and used a buffing wheel to smooth it down so the extended battery back plate wouldn't get scratched up, also the front and back otterbox pieces snap together like they did before, you wouldn't even be able to tell unless I told you

BlazinBlake

Reaction score
Hey, would you be interested in making one for me. I'm willing to pay you to alter a back cover for me. Let me know if your interested.
Thanks!

OP
DF Smod

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Blake if you send it to me with a return shipping label I'd do it at no cost, it was fairly easy but I couldn't guarantee it would be as seamless as mine was

Human_Droid

Reaction score
How long did your battery last before you installed the extended battery? I have mine set to turn off data after 15 min and it lasts quite a long time.. id say on par or better than my DX

Spydaz

Reaction score
I did this same thing to my otterbox the day after release. One word of advice is to trim the rubber inside the outer cover where the speaker is to make it flush.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

darkmatter

Reaction score
I thought about the same thing for my droid. Then I realized the whole reason I use otterbox is because of how rugged it is...and now myotterbox IS my battery cover. Just left the stock battery cover off. It fits great around the camera and everything.

Looking closer at the pics, I guess the bionic and d3 are quite a bit different in battery cover design?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Woosh

Reaction score
Another OtterBox Case Mod

tp76 you are a pioneer and my inspiration for my attempt at modding my case. I took a slightly different approach but have the same results. Wasn't very comforable with the amount of plastic that your design had to take out of the Otterbox (especially around the HDMI and Micro USB flap). I took the standard battery cover and cut out a hole to fit the phone with the Extended battery installed. If I every change my mind I can buy another standard battery cover from Verizon for $5. Then took the Otterbox case and cut a tapered hole for the extended battery. Tappered so that the battery is held in place with the Otterbox case. I think it came out quite well and I'm pleased with the results. No mod of the rubber case was needed.

View attachment 40522
View attachment 40523
View attachment 40524
View attachment 40525
View attachment 40526

OP
DF Smod

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
That looks great woosh, I thought of it to but didn't want to cut any OEM part of the phone, I think between the two designs we have all the bases covered - then there's always using the extended battery/otterbox without the back cover as someone suggested, I did that for the first few days but a cut is vital for a secure otterbox feel

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

kook

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Is that the Commuter or Defender case?

OP
DF Smod

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Defender Series

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

forsaken

Reaction score
i wonder if it would be possible to plastic weld the piece that you cut out to the back at the height that is needed for the case to fit? if i remember correctly the silicone fits a little loose on the phone where it could work

tp76 you are a pioneer and my inspiration for my attempt at modding my case. I took a slightly different approach but have the same results. Wasn't very comforable with the amount of plastic that your design had to take out of the Otterbox (especially around the HDMI and Micro USB flap). I took the standard battery cover and cut out a hole to fit the phone with the Extended battery installed. If I every change my mind I can buy another standard battery cover from Verizon for $5. Then took the Otterbox case and cut a tapered hole for the extended battery. Tappered so that the battery is held in place with the Otterbox case. I think it came out quite well and I'm pleased with the results. No mod of the rubber case was needed.

View attachment 40522
View attachment 40523
View attachment 40524
View attachment 40525
View attachment 40526