Bionic and razor screens?

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
I got to play with a razor for a little bit an what I want to know is there really any difference between the quality of the HD screens? Cuz my personal opinion of the razr was the colors were to dark can anyone explain to me if one screen is better than the other?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

steeletown

Reaction score
I had the bionic until 2 days ago and thought there wasn't much of a difference myself. Then I got the razr and there is a difference and I am just not saying this because I am now a razr owner there is a difference. You have to take it home and really play with it

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Mike8016

Reaction score
I had the bionic until 2 days ago and thought there wasn't much of a difference myself. Then I got the razr and there is a difference and I am just not saying this because I am now a razr owner there is a difference. You have to take it home and really play with it

I agree I have a Bionic but i went to a VZW store and the Razr screen is much nicer.

Tillers_Rule

Reaction score
Yes there is a difference. The bionic screen you can see in the sun.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Razr is Super Amoled and the Bionic is QHD I believe. Super Amoled has more blacks and greens I believe. I think they both have same pixel density and resolution.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Razr is Super Amoled and the Bionic is QHD I believe. Super Amoled has more blacks and greens I believe. I think they both have same pixel density and resolution.

So is that why the colors seem to be darker on the razor an lighter on the bionic

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
So is that why the colors seem to be darker on the razor an lighter on the bionic

I think so, but I am not totally sure. The colors are definetly darker on my girls Razr though.

rckrz6

Reaction score
Oled screens do not have backlights and the pixels generate there own light. This is why amoled phones are so thin. Also why blacks look better and better contrast. This technology will be phasing out lcd screens in coming years

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Reaction score
"'
I got to play with a razor for a little bit an what I want to know is there really any difference between the quality of the HD screens? Cuz my personal opinion of the razr was the colors were to dark can anyone explain to me if one screen is better than the other?
First off, it isn't really HD unless it is 720p or more. At the moment there are only 3 HD phones: the Galaxy Nexus, the Rezound, and the LG Spectrum. The nexus is OLED and the other two are LCD. (The Razr is OLED too, but not HD resolution)

There are two main standards; LCD and OLED.

LCD is the conventional standard. This is like what you've seen in laptops. The pixels are all lit with a lightsource from behind. The pixels themselves block the light...so a pixel that is "off" will show completely white. All you will see is the light part if it. Because of this, you can never get true blacks. If you turn off all the lights in a room, a "black" screen will still glow. LCDs have the advantage of better color reproduction on average compared to OLEDs, just because the tech is more mature.

OLED stands for "organic LED". The display has no backlight. Each pixel contains biolunenescent bacteria which glow when activated. So when you want black, you just turn them off. Because of this, OLED displays always have deep and perfect blacks. In a dark room, a black OLED display cannot be seen at all. They also tend to be the brightest displays right now and in theory are more energy efficient than LCD. Their main weaknesses right now are ghosting (a trail left behind moving pixels) and burn in (where an image on the screen a long time leaves a shadow of itself after you move it). They also tend to have color banding in gradients and some people consider the colors over-saturated (probably just caused from the contrast with the deep blacks).

Overall there is no "best" between the standards. Both have merits. When OLED technology fully matures, it will probably surpass LCD, and all the weaknesses listed above will not be there anymore. But it hasnt reached that point yet.

Last edited:

glockit

Reaction score
"'First off, it isn't really HD unless it is 720p or more. At the moment there are only 3 HD phones: the Galaxy Nexus, the Rezound, and the LG Spectrum. The nexus is OLED and the other two are LCD. (The Razr is OLED too, but not HD resolution)

There are two main standards; LCD and OLED.

LCD is the conventional standard. This is like what you've seen in laptops. The pixels are all lit with a lightsource from behind. The pixels themselves block the light...so a pixel that is "off" will show completely white. All you will see is the light part if it. Because of this, you can never get true blacks. If you turn off all the lights in a room, a "black" screen will still glow. LCDs have the advantage of better color reproduction on average compared to OLEDs, just because the tech is more mature.

OLED stands for "organic LED". The display has no backlight. Each pixel contains biolunenescent bacteria which glow when activated. So when you want black, you just turn them off. Because of this, OLED displays always have deep and perfect blacks. In a dark room, a black OLED display cannot be seen at all. They also tend to be the brightest displays right now and in theory are more energy efficient than LCD. Their main weaknesses right now are ghosting (a trail left behind moving pixels) and burn in (where an image on the screen a long time leaves a shadow of itself after you move it). They also tend to have color banding in gradients and some people consider the colors over-saturated (probably just caused from the contrast with the deep blacks).

Overall there is no "best" between the standards. Both have merits. When OLED technology fully matures, it will probably surpass LCD, and all the weaknesses listed above will not be there anymore. But it hasnt reached that point yet.

thank you, that was the best explanation yet

B

bens42608

That was essentially the same comparison between plasma and lcd tvs except you are trying to basically convince people that plasma is better. Everyone knows lcd tv's are better. Same goes between bionic and razr display. Deeper blacks, thinner design, etc does not make them better than lcd

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
"'Each pixel contains biolunenescent bacteria which glow when activated.

This is not exactly true. There are no bacteria or other organisms either dead or alive in OLED screens, and OLED screens do not operate via bioluminescence. The "Organic" in "Organic Light Emitting Diode" simply means that the small part that lights up is comprised of a compound which contains carbon. An example of an organic molecule is methane (which is not used to illuminate OLED screens), but again, any molecule which contains carbon is described as organic.

Most OLEDs use organic compounds with virtually unpronounceable names, Google "OLED"!

Artreas

Reaction score
Plasma is better than LCD in many respects. For starters, when was the last time you saw motion blur on a plasma display? Its been a very long time for me if ever. Whereas its evident on every LCD i've ever owned or seen.

jdroid80

Reaction score
Plasmas definitely look better than LCD. Every time I have to watch an LCD it's hard to adjust. lol

But the Bionic and Razr screens both have their pros/cons.

I actually preferred the Bionic at first, because I was used to the brighter whites.

But now that I've had the Razr for a few months I appreciate the true blacks and more colorful colors.

Both are the same resolution, and I never had any real complaints about the Bionic's screen for the 1 week I had it. The only complaint I had was adjusting to the smaller text caused by the higher resolution (coming from a Droid X).