Bionic + 4G + Slingbox ??

rjsurfer

Reaction score
The Slingbox App works great on my D1 and I'm considering the upgrade to the Bionic since my contract is up and I do have 4G in my area. My concern is will the Slingbox App work OK on the Bionic via 4g?

One more question, will I have to purchase another Slingbox App @ $29 ? or can I transfer it to my new Bionic?

Thanks

Ron W.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
I dont have experience with Slingbox but if you bought it via the Android market it should be associated with your account, not the phone. And I see no reason whatsoever you wouldnt be happy with the performance on the Bionic.

GatorDroid

Reaction score
The Slingbox App works great on my D1 and I'm considering the upgrade to the Bionic since my contract is up and I do have 4G in my area. My concern is will the Slingbox App work OK on the Bionic via 4g?

One more question, will I have to purchase another Slingbox App @ $29 ? or can I transfer it to my new Bionic?

Thanks

Ron W.

I went from a D1, to a D2, to a DX to a DX2 and after that one took a swim, got the Bionic 4 days ago, even though I planned on waiting for some other 4g phones...best decision in my Droid purchases x10. The phone blows the DX2 out of the water (literally). Not only does slingbox stream on 4g with ease, but is perfect with 3g as well. In Fact, I can stream HD off my cable box component in HQ Quality on Slingbox with Bionic...this was never possible with DX2...kept breaking up, so the difference between apps on 3g between the DX2 and Bionic are night and day...tested 4 different streaming apps and got the same result on all 4. Even started using the ZumoCast which is factory installed and it streams movies with no buffer issues from my Mac Mini at my home over 3g.
As I stated, I've had 5 Droids and this is the ONLY one which operates at the speed one would want with absolutely NO force closes on any apps in 4 days.
I simply re=downloaded the app from market on Bionic and worked fine...initially, I transferred the apk from DX to DX2 during the time slingbox wasn't available on market and that worked as well, and that apk was emailed to me from a friend...no I'm not rooted on any of the phones.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I went from a D1, to a D2, to a DX to a DX2 and after that one took a swim, got the Bionic 4 days ago, even though I planned on waiting for some other 4g phones...best decision in my Droid purchases x10. The phone blows the DX2 out of the water (literally). Not only does slingbox stream on 4g with ease, but is perfect with 3g as well. In Fact, I can stream HD off my cable box component in HQ Quality on Slingbox with Bionic...this was never possible with DX2...kept breaking up, so the difference between apps on 3g between the DX2 and Bionic are night and day...tested 4 different streaming apps and got the same result on all 4. Even started using the ZumoCast which is factory installed and it streams movies with no buffer issues from my Mac Mini at my home over 3g.
As I stated, I've had 5 Droids and this is the ONLY one which operates at the speed one would want with absolutely NO force closes on any apps in 4 days.
I simply re=downloaded the app from market on Bionic and worked fine...initially, I transferred the apk from DX to DX2 during the time slingbox wasn't available on market and that worked as well, and that apk was emailed to me from a friend...no I'm not rooted on any of the phones.

Ditto!!!!

OP
R

rjsurfer

Reaction score
OP here...

Thanks for the great news, the Slingbox app not working on the Bionic I would have questioned my decision to go with the Bionic.

Good to know the app is on the Market now, I think when I first got it, it wasn't.

Ron W.

blickley

Reaction score
Streamed about 5 hours straight last weekend over a very week 4G signal from my Slingbox with not even a hickup.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
I've had my slingbox hd and catcher for over a year now. Guess its finally time to open it up and set it in motion, lol!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Bionic

Reaction score
+1. Works great on the Bionic. As for downloading the app, as long as you sign in to the Market using the same google account you used to buy the SP app, you will not be charged again. I have it on three different Droids at the moment. Not sure if that violates the licensing terms, but since you can only stream to one device at a time anyway, I don't see an issue with it.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Ok was just curious if there is that much difference in quality over the pro and solo. Thanks!

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
Ok was just curious if there is that much difference in quality over the pro and solo. Thanks!

Oh I doubt there's any difference at all.

You should have a "HQ" mode in your slingplayer mobile app if you press the settings button. It makes the picture noticeably better.. and with 4G LTE, there's way more than enough bandwidth to handle it.

holjes

Reaction score
Ok, question, i was always wondering and can't tell the difference. The Sq/Hq button, is it IN Hq mode when the button says Hq or when it says Sq, not really sure which is currently being displayed by sling and which is listing on the button to be switched to. Sorry if that was confusing. Hopefully someone understands what i mean haha