Beware of Verizon... not waiting to start new retail sales

R

RETG

or a firearm that's misfiring and causing injuries? The ATF would be livid. How about airbags that are going off unintentionally? The Department of Transportation would shut them down in a heartbeat. Those involved would be hung up by their fingernails if they disobeyed the recall. Since this isn't an industry overseen by the FDA, ATF or DOT but instead by the FCC it's being handled much more loosely. The problem is, it's a very real risk of danger to life and limb and personal property. The FCC isn't typically involved with things that have bodily harm involved.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Just a correction. Actually, having been with the ATF a long time ago (before transferring to the DEA); they would not be livid, in fact, they would probably not care. Just look at the Taurus international class action suit going on right now; there is no ATF involvement only the courts.
Under the firearms division, they basically will only enforce federal statutes issue firearms licenses and inspect licensees for compliance. Basically, at this time (that I know of since I have been retired for a few years) there is NO government agency with the authority to oversea firearm design and safety. Only what types are legal for sale in the USA to the consumer or FFL licensees with different levels.
(In fact my sign on name, RETG, stands for RETired G(man):D

As for Verizon, they are skunks, but from my experiences living out here in the west, you don't have much choice, the other ones are skunkier (is that a word?) So you have to go with the company that offeres the best coverage, service and prices.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Just a correction. Actually, having been with the ATF a long time ago (before transferring to the DEA); they would not be livid, in fact, they would probably not care. Just look at the Taurus international class action suit going on right now; there is no ATF involvement only the courts.
Under the firearms division, they basically will only enforce federal statutes issue firearms licenses and inspect licensees for compliance. Basically, at this time (that I know of since I have been retired for a few years) there is NO government agency with the authority to oversea firearm design and safety. Only what types are legal for sale in the USA to the consumer or FFL licensees with different levels.
(In fact my sign on name, RETG, stands for RETired G(man):D

As for Verizon, they are skunks, but from my experiences living out here in the west, you don't have much choice, the other ones are skunkier (is that a word?) So you have to go with the company that offeres the best coverage, service and prices.
Thanks for the clarification in respect to the ATF. I am shocked but I suppose not surprised that the ATF is only an enforcement agency regarding licensing and inspections. What is scary is that there isn't an oversight agency protecting consumers from defective designs or manufacturing that results in misfiring or backfiring firearms. I suppose it's so rare (again, I may be ignorant to that as either right or wrong), that perhaps it's really not needed?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
My airbag has a recall. I've been talking to Ford for months. They don't have replacements. They never said to not drive the car.

Ford recalls 1.9m cars and crossovers for defective airbags

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
The question is, what is the issue with that airbag that caused the recall? If it were faulty such that it could deploy unexpectedly while driving, potentially causing a deadly accident or grave risk of injury for instance, I would expect it to be mandatory that the cars would be in a forced recall and if nothing else they would have to be disarmed ASAP until they could be replaced. On the other hand, if the recall was something relatively minor, I could understand it not being a reason to demand immediate action.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
The question is, what is the issue with that airbag that caused the recall? If it were faulty such that it could deploy unexpectedly while driving, potentially causing a deadly accident or grave risk of injury for instance, I would expect it to be mandatory that the cars would be in a forced recall and if nothing else they would have to be disarmed ASAP until they could be replaced. On the other hand, if the recall was something relatively minor, I could understand it not being a reason to demand immediate action.
I think metal fragments when the airbag deploys is big enough for a mandatory recall but there isn't.

People have died from these bad airbags.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

ngt

Reaction score
Still no email from best buy. Fingers crossed for today. Otherwise I'm going in after work. Lady said Thursday.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
My friend that somehow had an appointment with our local premium retailer from contacting Samsung went to his appointment and found out that they had only ordered their replacements units the day before or so, so he was told they had nothing for him and he'd have to come back in a few days.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Still not being properly coordinated between the manufacturer and the dealers/agents/carriers. Sad, really. I hope everyone gets on the same page soon, for safety's sake if nothing else.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
My friend that somehow had an appointment with our local premium retailer from contacting Samsung went to his appointment and found out that they had only ordered their replacements units the day before or so, so he was told they had nothing for him and he'd have to come back in a few days.
I wonder how many they had ordered prior to that call, that they sold instead.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
He did test them though. I told him to make sure they weren't selling new units & denying him a refund, so he had his office manager call & inquire like she wanted to buy one instead of exchange.

They gave her the same few days wait speech he got, so at least they didn't turn him away with units in stock.

I was sure to tell him that the fed is happy to investigate if he finds out they're selling new ones instead of holding for recall.

Sent from my Moto Z

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Thanks for the clarification in respect to the ATF. I am shocked but I suppose not surprised that the ATF is only an enforcement agency regarding licensing and inspections. What is scary is that there isn't an oversight agency protecting consumers from defective designs or manufacturing that results in misfiring or backfiring firearms. I suppose it's so rare (again, I may be ignorant to that as either right or wrong), that perhaps it's really not needed?
The overall design of the firearm hasn't changed much over the years. Granted they all may look a lot different but the physics and general design are the same... I'm sure Efin can word this better than I but in the big picture firearms are a very simple design as far as components that just hasn't and won't change. When you start getting into electronically controlled devices it's a whole different world..

Then we factor in the quality of people designing, producing and assembling these guns. They don't just take Joe Smoe off the street. Gun makers (especially in the US) take GREAT pride in their product. Compare this to the guy making minimum wage with no skills assembling airbags in a hot dirty factory of course the quality of product will change.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The overall design of the firearm hasn't changed much over the years. Granted they all may look a lot different but the physics and general design are the same... I'm sure Efin can word this better than I but in the big picture firearms are a very simple design as far as components that just hasn't and won't change. When you start getting into electronically controlled devices it's a whole different world..

Then we factor in the quality of people designing, producing and assembling these guns. They don't just take Joe Smoe off the street. Gun makers (especially in the US) take GREAT pride in their product. Compare this to the guy making minimum wage with no skills assembling airbags in a hot dirty factory of course the quality of product will change.

OK, that all makes sense, but what about smaller, startup manufacturers, or custom gun manufacturers? This is a device that's both designed to be safe for the user, and yet pack tremendous power to inflict the maximum damage in the lightest, easiest to carry and most aesthetically pleasing package. The concern in my mind is that a less skilled or talented freelance gun designer could actually possibly underestimate the explosive force of the gunpowder, and that could disrupt and break a component that is poorly engineered or incorrectly hardened, resulting in backfire.

Even professional gun manufacturers can make dangerous mistakes. Take this one, where the safety must be set to "Fire" in order to unload the gun. In this case, it resulted in paralyzing a child when the babysitter was unloading the pistol and it went off unexpectedly.

"The same gun continues to be made by Bryco, now operating as Jimenez Arms.
Brandon did not receive a cent from the jury verdict. The owner of Bryco Arms, Bruce Jennings, declared bankruptcy, and spent 1.3 million in legal fees to claim bankruptcy and avoid paying the judgment and other creditors.
Mr. Jennings spent over $900,000 last year on a new house, car and aircraft."

Brandon's Arms: Flawed Handgun Design Paralyzes Child

Here's another page listing at least 13 "flawed" gun designs in history.

13 of the Biggest Gun Fails in Recent Firearm History

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Lol what happened to this thread? ;)

Yeah, I know. I used guns as an example of regulatory oversight, I was corrected and it fell off the rails from there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk