Beware of Verizon... not waiting to start new retail sales

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
What should have happened was carrier contact owner. Send new phone to owners address when it came in with return postage paid , like when you buy a new phone online. If carrier hasn't received old one by a certain time the costumer gets billed and old phone gets black listed. They could've black listed the old when the new activates as well.
There should have never been the corporate stores involved.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><
Except for one HUGE problem. I'll bet that shipping the defective Note 7 is now restricted to HazMat. Shipping one in UPS, FedEx or USPS may be illegal due to the risk of fire. One of the first things USPS asks when shipping packages is whether there are flammable or explosive devices. Technically a defective Lithium Ion battery could be classified as a potentially flammable or explosive device.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Except for one HUGE problem. I'll bet that shipping the defective Note 7 is now restricted to HazMat. Shipping one in UPS, FedEx or USPS may be illegal due to the risk of fire. One of the first things USPS asks when shipping packages is whether there are flammable or explosive devices. Technically a defective Lithium Ion battery could be classified as a potentially flammable or explosive device.

So how is Verizon , or whoever, getting them back to Samsung?
When my wife had a recall on a battery to an old phone the new one came FedEx overnight and the old one went back snail mail in the provided envelope. I used to get all kinds of stuff at my old job that was deemed hazardous and/or flammable and it just had to ship ground cross country but ups delivered it.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
So how is Verizon , or whoever, getting them back to Samsung?
When my wife had a recall on a battery to an old phone the new one came FedEx overnight and the old one went back snail mail in the provided envelope. I used to get all kinds of stuff at my old job that was deemed hazardous and/or flammable and it just had to ship ground cross country but ups delivered it.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><
I'm not saying it's been indicated that it can't ship the normal channels, just that I'd bet it may be. Perhaps there may never be a mandate of such but it's reasonable to think it could. If one of these phones catch fire in the cargo hold of an airplane it could result in catastrophic failure. Currently you can't place these phones in checked-in luggage, only carry on.

If I were UPS or like, I would want them handled by road delivery only. I might even want a special dispatch of trucks outfitted with steel containments.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I hear all your saying and don't necessarily disagree with it. I believe that retailers and carriers may feel it's not their problem and that holding stock is against the retailer's best financial interested but the CPSC does hold jurisdiction over the entire distribution chain in a government recall. Any link in the chain that doesn't follow the recall mandates is in effect breaking Federal law.

Could you imagine a food recall being handled this way? The FDA would be all over that. How about a recall of an alcohol that has a higher alcohol content than labeled or allowed, or a tobacco that's significantly more carcinogenic, or a firearm that's misfiring and causing injuries? The ATF would be livid. How about airbags that are going off unintentionally? The Department of Transportation would shut them down in a heartbeat. Those involved would be hung up by their fingernails if they disobeyed the recall. Since this isn't an industry overseen by the FDA, ATF or DOT but instead by the FCC it's being handled much more loosely. The problem is, it's a very real risk of danger to life and limb and personal property. The FCC isn't typically involved with things that have bodily harm involved.

And how much teeth do we really feel the CPSC have in this situation?

Remember VZW have for year been giving the gov the finger about their handling of unlimited data customers. Yeah they were eventually fined pennies on the dollar to which I am sure they somehow passed on to the customers.

At the end of the day here is the ultimate problem. The ground people (CSR) who are trying to make a living (commission) are caught in the middle because their bosses are telling them to sell the phones. And when you ask them about how you know the phone is safe they are googling and pulling up CNET videos vs actually knowing.

This is why I feel if you want to attack a business for their practices you go to the top (well you cant really email the CEO). They pay attention to the retention line and if they see a trend of customers jumping ship because of the way they are handling the recall you can bet something will be sent from the top asap. Versus fighting with the CSR or that particular store and having the issue stop there. Businesses fear losing customers (money) over the government. They have lawyers who are paid to handle the government and about time the courts have finished the note 7 will be a $50 Ebay special and the settlement will be pennies on the dollar, which will be written off or passed on. But customers walking out the door hurts their pockets and quarterly numbers now.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
And how much teeth do we really feel the CPSC have in this situation?

Remember VZW have for year been giving the gov the finger about their handling of unlimited data customers. Yeah they were eventually fined pennies on the dollar to which I am sure they somehow passed on to the customers.

At the end of the day here is the ultimate problem. The ground people (CSR) who are trying to make a living (commission) are caught in the middle because their bosses are telling them to sell the phones. And when you ask them about how you know the phone is safe they are googling and pulling up CNET videos vs actually knowing.

This is why I feel if you want to attack a business for their practices you go to the top (well you cant really email the CEO). They pay attention to the retention line and if they see a trend of customers jumping ship because of the way they are handling the recall you can bet something will be sent from the top asap. Versus fighting with the CSR or that particular store and having the issue stop there. Businesses fear losing customers (money) over the government. They have lawyers who are paid to handle the government and about time the courts have finished the note 7 will be a $50 Ebay special and the settlement will be pennies on the dollar, which will be written off or passed on. But customers walking out the door hurts their pockets and quarterly numbers now.
There's no doubting money talks, which is why fines are levied. Still, loss of marketshare would be a stronger deterrent.

Last edited:

ngt

Reaction score
It hasn't been determined but charging is apparently at the root of the problem and causing the batteries to overheat, resulting in fire. Charging at normal rates may not hear the batteries up enough to create the internal shunts (shorts), which result in the batteries self-destructing. Charging at the fast or rapid/turbo charging rates do tend to heat the batteries up more so the risk when fast charging may be significantly higher.

Thanks for the info. That's what I was thinking when not doing the fast charging. Maybe I'll just keep that off when I get the new one.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Got my new phone tonight... I got a call yeaterday saying i was able to get it today. Still had to wait 2 hours at the store while others ahead of me exchanged devices. I will give the store credit, I over heard them several times decline to sell the device to anyone who asked.

They also didnt care about the accessories or box. I handed it to them, they gave it back and said we dont need it. They then put my old phone in a plastic bag with what appeared to be some kind of cloth or cotton like material, sealed it up and took it to the back.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Got my new phone tonight... I got a call yeaterday saying i was able to get it today. Still had to wait 2 hours at the store while others ahead of me exchanged devices. I will give the store credit, I over heard them several times decline to sell the device to anyone who asked.

They also didnt care about the accessories or box. I handed it to them, they gave it back and said we dont need it. They then put my old phone in a plastic bag with what appeared to be some kind of cloth or cotton like material, sealed it up and took it to the back.

Excellent. The fact that they didn't take the original accessories is against what Samsung has specified however the fact they gave you the box with the new accessories is in alignment with what I've been told.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
They were overwhelmed with impatient customers so i dont know how much they cared about protocol lol.

Well I believe that to be true, but they did the main thing right which is to exchange defective devices first and put all sales of new Note 7s on the back burner. They also allowed you, and hopefully others to take the accessories as well. This was supposed to be new defective for new replacements, and the new in boxes phones were complete packages as was told to me as it should have been. Fortunately this location did those things right.

realged13

Reaction score
Got my replacement last night. Luckily they got a large shipment of them in yesterday around 2. The rep went and got the new phone then had to go print something. While he printed it I checked the IMEI on my phone just to make sure it was a good one before I factory reset. All is good now!

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I hear all your saying and don't necessarily disagree with it. I believe that retailers and carriers may feel it's not their problem and that holding stock is against the retailer's best financial interested but the CPSC does hold jurisdiction over the entire distribution chain in a government recall. Any link in the chain that doesn't follow the recall mandates is in effect breaking Federal law.

Could you imagine a food recall being handled this way? The FDA would be all over that. How about a recall of an alcohol that has a higher alcohol content than labeled or allowed, or a tobacco that's significantly more carcinogenic, or a firearm that's misfiring and causing injuries? The ATF would be livid. How about airbags that are going off unintentionally? The Department of Transportation would shut them down in a heartbeat. Those involved would be hung up by their fingernails if they disobeyed the recall. Since this isn't an industry overseen by the FDA, ATF or DOT but instead by the FCC it's being handled much more loosely. The problem is, it's a very real risk of danger to life and limb and personal property. The FCC isn't typically involved with things that have bodily harm involved.

I agree. I feel Samsung has been doing the right thing through this. The carriers seem to be the ones screwing around, and mainly Verizon.
Not having dealt with any others I don't know, but Verizon did not offer loaners and is not putting the recall as any kind of priority. That's all I'm saying.

Maybe each location is different but our local corporate Verizon store has been offering loaner phones (S7 Edge specifically) to Note 7 customers, for the past two weeks, until replacement stock is available.

I don't think all that many customers are going to jump ship to a different device because of this issue. Everyone I know personally, along with folks across multiple forums, have all stated that they love their Note 7 and have no intention of permanently switching to a new Samsung device, or a different manufacturer altogether. Samsung has handled this quite well considering.... and they've got folks their replacements a lot quicker than I thought they would.

New devices have issues, it happens. This particular issue just happened to cause more problems than usual. That said, there's a reason Samsung has held the number one spot for so many years. So while this may hurt them financially in the short term, it will soon be forgotten as Samsung continues to be an innovative leader while providing consistent customer support.

Take a look at the latest iPhone 7 issues. They may not include exploding batteries, but the iPhone 7 has been plagued with a whole host of problems.
Just sayin....This will continue to happen across all manufacturers as they fight to one up each other in an attempt to push out the most innovative product possible.

S5 tap'n

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying it's been indicated that it can't ship the normal channels, just that I'd bet it may be. Perhaps there may never be a mandate of such but it's reasonable to think it could. If one of these phones catch fire in the cargo hold of an airplane it could result in catastrophic failure. Currently you can't place these phones in checked-in luggage, only carry on.

If I were UPS or like, I would want them handled by road delivery only. I might even want a special dispatch of trucks outfitted with steel containments.

All my hazardous and flammable stuff would ship out of California and be driven cross country by ups. It's a federal mandate that anything like that cannot be air freight and has been since right after 911. Like I said, my wife's battery was shipped overnight FedEx and the one that was POSSIBLY bad (recalled) was sent back ground USPS.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
All my hazardous and flammable stuff would ship out of California and be driven cross country by ups. It's a federal mandate that anything like that cannot be air freight and has been since right after 911. Like I said, my wife's battery was shipped overnight FedEx and the one that was POSSIBLY bad (recalled) was sent back ground USPS.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><
Sounds right and what I believed to be true in my gut. Thanks for the clarification.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Yep, having worked the past ten years as Quality Assurance at a Staples fulfillment center, I can confirm that any & all batteries, or items containing batteries, must be shipped via ground only. We could receive huge fines if we shipped them air.

S5 tap'n