Beware - Asurion sending out Junk Droids

skrump

Reaction score
Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up- Beware the refurbished D1's that Asurion is sending out these days. I had one sent out to me in Mid-January. 2 months later, I've got all kinds of dust and dirt underneath the front glass but above the display- basically it looks like my phone is extremely dirty, but of course it can't be cleaned. I've also got a small square piece of plastic slowly rising up above the home key, (but again beneath the glass). After wasting a few hours on the phone with Asurion, and talking with 3 different supervisors, I've reached a dead end with them. Their official policy is that they DO NOT provide a warranty on their phones that covers defects in materials and workmanship. Their warranty only covers "Technical Defects", whatever that is. If you have a physical defect with your phone, you have 10 days to catch it from the date you receive your phone. After that, you're out of luck. I was pretty shocked and dismayed, as you can imagine, I'm now stuck with a Droid that looks filthy, and is getting worse by the day. Even worse, this is the 2nd Droid I've gotten from them in the last year that has the exact same issue.
I'm basically screwed on this one, I'll just have to ride it out until I come up for my next upgrade. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on what you can expect from Asurion. I'll be cancelling my insurance with them, and looking into other 3rd party extended warranty providers for my next phone...

Last edited by a moderator:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I've gotten 3 devices from them in the years past and all have been good.

Wadman

Reaction score
I will be honest, the 2 that I have gotten from them have been pretty good but I have heard war stories like this far too often.....

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I will be honest, the 2 that I have gotten from them have been pretty good but I have heard war stories like this far too often.....

Of course. It's the same story. If 2 people go out to dinner and enjoy it they tell 2 people. Same two go out to dinner at another restaurant and don't like it they tell 10 people.

People love to yell fire!

Wadman

Reaction score

Of course. It's the same story. If 2 people go out to dinner and enjoy it they tell 2 people. Same two go out to dinner at another restaurant and don't like it they tell 10 people.

People love to yell fire!

Completely agree...good comparison. It is the same with ROM's and themes. One person talks about how great a ROM is and how it has made their phone the most amazing phone ever....and 3 posts down you have someone who has the same ROM or theme and they talk about how slow their phone is, bad battery, freezing up, etc.........Sorry for you bad luck though man. You can pick up a used D1 for about 150 bucks anyway. I'm pretty sure that you have to pay 50 any way for a replacement right? Just save up..head to ebay or craigslist...and buy another one. I actually saw some DX's going for as low as 250....a little more money, but it's an option........

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sounds like you got a bad apple, and that sucks! like others have mentioned, i got a replacement a couple months ago, and it is pristine! hopefully, if you keep at them long enough you'll find someone with some compassion... best of luck!!

OP
S

skrump

Reaction score
Complete exercise in Frustration... that's why I kept calling Asurion back, trying to get someone who would actually work with me. Closest I got was a supervisor named Michael. He was totally cool, willing to send me out a replacement, made a note on my account and everything...BUT I happened to be talking with him on the Droid I needed to replace. He needed me to be on a separate line, and I didn't have one available at the time. Never was able to find that guy again, and the next supervisor told me "He said we could send you a replacement Droid, he didn't guarantee that we'd send you a replacement Droid..." It was almost comical if it wasn't so infuriating!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up- Beware the refurbished D1's that Asurion is sending out these days.
Look through the old threads. It's not "these days". There are always bad refurbs being sent out. However, there are also good refurbs sent out. It's rare though that people bother to post that their refurb is just fine. Forum posts are always skewed towards complaints and problems by their very nature.