Bettas, Bettas, Bettas

techRob

Reaction score
So, my ex-girlfriend got me into Betta fish. I havta say, they are prolly some of the coolest pet fish you could ask for; complete with a built-in personality ;)

My ex and I bought me 3 females (Calypso, Athena, and Hera), Hera got sick within 2-3 weeks (she's still alive, mostly blind tho - about 3-4 months later)...a few weeks after the Hera got sick, I bought another small tank and a male Crowntail Betta - Ares :D ....

Anyway...my ex and I, not being Betta experts by any means, knew just the basics. Such as; "females aren't as aggressive as males, and you can get away with putting multiple females in one tank." .... :icon_eek: not three in a one gallon though! We had to seperate them fast! ....okay okay...fast forwarding...after doing a bunch of research, reading a bunch of experiences from other Betta peeps, I had a theory... If the following conditions were met, I should be able to put multiple females in one tank with little to no problems;
1) Tank should be at least 10 gallons (rule of thumb: about 1.5-2 gallons per 1-inch of adult fish...the rule is technical 1gal/inch ... but fudge it a little to account for decorations)
2) Bettas should be young - recently leaving their brood, causing them to possibly still be okay being around other Bettas (PetSmart was receiving VERY TINY (thus young) bettas lately)
3) There should be plenty of hiding space for the fish inside the tank
4) The bettas get along decently when their jars are next to each other - they're not being overly aggressive towards one another
5) At Least 4 bettas if not more (2 - either they would constantly be going at it, or one would bully the other to death...3- has potential for a "2 on 1" situation)

..that being said, it worked! ...so far :) I've got a beautiful 10gallon tank with 4 beautiful female (baby) Bettas swimming around. A "sorority" (which I've named: Zeta Alpha Betta ) :D They tolerate each other very well too! The only thing remotely close to a scuffle, has been when one basically said: "This is my spot, get away and quit looking at me like that" - and shoved the other. ;) ... they "follow" each other (no real chasing), and they kinda nudge each other around...but I would say there isn't really any real aggression (not compared to what I've seen with my other Bettas). most of the time, 2 or 3 of them are swimming with / near each other. I'll post some pictures later (not awake enough to deal with uploading stuff, sorry).

**WARNING**
For those that don't know much about Bettas, what I did was technically pretty risky - some would say not to do such a thing, but based on the criteria I made above, it was hard to argue against it. There are lots of people that will tell you that you should give your ONE betta a 5-10gallon home (all to himself - or maybe with a different species, but as the only betta); I will *never* argue against that - if it's a typical male betta anyway. Once you have decorations in there, it gets closed off and you don't have the full space anymore. Yes, Bettas can live in small jars. But how would you like to live in your bathroom? (not to mention without being able to flush?? lol). These guys really do like to swim (between my crowntail and my females, that's what i've observed). Anyway, back to my "warning" - Bettas are very aggressive by nature, towards each other especially. They are territorial. Placing Bettas with other Bettas is asking for trouble - males should ALWAYS be by themselves (unless they are to mate with a female, and that's a whole different ballgame). They're good with a few other fishes, but not many (and some other fish aren't good with Bettas). Bettas are, for the most part, solo creatures, but could use a "roommate" in the "tank next door" to keep them company <-- that's MY opinion! They are semi sociable, at least with their owner (as i've found out). Mine more or less greet me when I get home :D

So i could easily go on ranting and raving about my lovely Bettas, and my experiences, etc... but i'll give it a stop here. I hope people are entertainmed / educated in some degree :) Bettas really are wonderful and easy to take care of - but they still have to be taken care of :p

----

the fish themselves were hard to get a decent picture of all of them once in the tank. These guys are soo small, about 1-inch at max. They make even my smallest adult betta look huge (and my biggest adult looks like Nessie compared to them) :p

Getting my babies acclimated to the temperature
fish-acclimate.jpg

most of the tank, and the 4 of em swimmin' around (the blue (purplish) and reddish one seem to pal around a lot..
fish1.jpg

Pretty much full view of tank and 3 of the bettas (barely see the 3rd one - top of the tall bonzai)
fish2.jpg

All 4 of 'em around the top of the tall bonzai ... i've noticed them in groups like this a lot (with no aggression that i could see)
fish3.jpg

Last edited:

JP 5.56

Reaction score
I've never seen betas do anything other than just float in the same spot. They actually do things?

OP
techRob

techRob

Reaction score
I'm going to assume you're being serious, since most pet shops have bettas in those tiny jars.

Yea, they apparently like to swim :) When there's room. My adult bettas don't have huge tanks (3/4 gallon, and 2.5 gallon), but they still do quite a bit of moving around. My babies in the 10 gallon, they're all over the place! lol I can easily kill 30min just sitting there watching them (partially because I'm trying to watch their behavior and learn some of their habits - kinda get an idea how they will be around each other in the months to come).

My adults, i've trained to jump out of the water at my hovering fingers, for food :) (i keep them out of reach - though my bigger adult female (Athena) gets half her body out of the water and almost nips me half the time). People keep telling me that Bettas love to jump, but I hardly ever see them actually get that kind of air needed to jump out of the tank (my sick one jumped out when i was chasing it with a net one time though). :icon_eek:

Give them adequate space to swim, and they'll do just that. They are so elegant and beautiful to watch :) If i had the space / money, i'd get a 5 gallon and this one adult male (general type of male betta) that I found at Petsmart, to put in there; he's mostly white with some blue and black around his tails - gorgeous! :D

Last edited:

Lorelai

Reaction score
Beautiful fish :)

I love Bettas. They have such unique personalities. Females can live together well if, like you said, they start out early and in a large tank. You've done a nice job giving them lots of places to hide and be by themselves. :)

OP
techRob

techRob

Reaction score
Why thank you Lorelai :) .. the places to hide was my main concern / hurdle. But once I wrapped my mind around the fact that "hide" in essence meant simply "something to obstruct the view of the other fish" and not like a cave or something, lol, i was good :) ....in the 3rd picture, there is some "tall grass" in the front, right hand corner; one of the bettas i've seen chilling inside there a few times (i found it cute actually) ;)

...right now, feeding is still a pain. I have to use a turkey baster and suck up A LOT of flakes that sink / get ignored (i really dislike flakes). half the time the girls attempt to chew the flakes, but then spit 'em out. But they don't have the jaws for pellets (strength and size). One of them has no problem with pellets tho lol...

Oh! and I've come up with two names so far; Looking at the 4th pic, the betta at the upper left, i've decided to call "Miss Pearl" - because when the light hits her just right she looks like pearl. The one towards the bottom, "Peach" - she's kind of peach colored, she's a little round right now, and it works because of Super Mario Bros. ;) lol ... still haven't got definite names for the other two yet.

I'm almost obsessed with my bettas (bettas in general). :icon_eek: ... Betta-holic Anonymous? <--great typo huh? :p

::EDIT::
One of my adult bettas, Athena..the little, err, snot... i was trying to get a piece of food off my thumb and into her tank, and she jumped up at my other finger :blink: ... i can't have any fingers at all hovering above her tank. She's alos the one that jumps the highest (at least half her body comes out of the water) lol...she actually snagged the food (pellet) from between my fingers today too! :D (haha when i was showing my friend how she jumps for it)

Last edited:

JP 5.56

Reaction score
lol - I was being serious.

I had a friend who had one in a 10 gallon tank and I always thought it was dead. From the sounds of it - it appears that maybe it was just lazy?

OP
techRob

techRob

Reaction score
lol - I was being serious.

I had a friend who had one in a 10 gallon tank and I always thought it was dead. From the sounds of it - it appears that maybe it was just lazy?
lol it's possible. My (male) Crowntail doesn't do "a lot" of swimming around...though, 1) he's in a 3/4 gallon "jar" / tank. 2) He is between two females, so he does go from side to side to check out the gals ;) ..and 3) most of the time when he sees me (within a foot or so of the tank) he spazzes out lol - working his hardest to get to me :D

I do remember reading that females appear to be a lot more active (7 of my 8 are female, albeit 4 are are "babies" and 1 is sickly - which hardly ever moves around).

I recorded a video with my droid of my new babies around day 1 or 2 (just because)...eventually I'll do it again and I'll post it up here - they are almost all constantly moving around for the most part.

OP
techRob

techRob

Reaction score
Today, I bought some "Ghost Shrimp" (or as I like to call them "The Fast Food Posse") to add to my sorority :) ...I bought 6 of them, but after dumping them in the tank could only find 4 lol ... they are pretty tiny (some of them), and pretty much transparent. Why did i get them? To have live-in janitors for the food my babies missed of course ;)

Okay, so here's the Fast Food Posse getting acclimated...and checked out by the girls - who acted like a bunch of sharks at a feeding frenzy lol ... they were poking at the shrimp through the baggie, and constantly circling it (they saw the shrimp all right :D (look closely, and you can see about 4 of the shrimp...and pebble)
sorority_fastfood.jpg

...and a new picture of the full tank with a new addition - the Fast Food Hut :D ...a hiding place for the shrimp. I was a little surprised when one of my tubby girls managed to fit in the tiny windows and then swim out a different one :)
sorority_tank072210.jpg

Once the girls grow up, they won't be fitting in there. It's interesting to watch the girls try and chase the shrimp - they get close to check them out and BAM the shrimp are in a different spot, they're as fast as lightning! (barely an exaggeration - they move like superman toying with a criminal lol) ... I'm looking forward to the 10 of them (the 4 bettas, and the 6 ghost shrimp) getting used to each other, so the "Fast Food Posse" can do their job of cleaning the excess food from the floor of the tank :D

Oh! and I finally got names for all of them! Not that anyone cares too much ;)

Looking at the top picture (in this post):

1. In the Front is "Miss Pearl" (she has the coloration of a pearl)
  2. To Pearl's left is "Casca" (kahs-ka) (anime "Berserk")
  3. To Pearl's right is "Princess Peach" (mario bros - some version of it)
  4. In the back, the bluish one, "Chloie" (smallville)