musings on droid and thumb drives

LrdElderon

Reaction score
I have no clue if this would even work or is possible, but here's what I was just thinking while being bored at my desk.

I have a usb extension cable. usb female on one end and male on the other...etc. do they make double female usb ended cables or could you rewire one and then plug in a flash thumb drive in one end and the droids usb to micro on the other and hook it into the droid?

Would the droid detect it at all assuming the cables worked? Could you mount it and use it? could this be programed to work at all? or perhaps there already is adapters to do this I don't know.

Prob a stupid idea, but as I said I'm bored and i just happen to have this extension sitting in front of me on the desk and I was like hmmmm.

dodgemaniac

Reaction score
i had the same idea the other day lol i would be interested if this was a possibility.

OP
L

LrdElderon

Reaction score
What about this?

Amazon.com: USB Female A To USB Mini Male B 5 Pin Adapter Free Shipping: Electronics

it's a small adapter that has a female normal usb on one end and a micro usb male end on the other. it should hook up just fine, problem is will the droid use it or even see it? be kind of nice to have swappable memory drives on the go.

or possibly these
http://www.amazon.com/USB-Gender-Changer-Female/dp/B000BSN4UY/ref=pd_cp_e_3
female to female adapaters and just plug in the thumb drive on one end and the moto cable on the other

Sarreq Teryx

Reaction score
the mini-b5 connector is not the same as the micro-b on the droid, but I have seen a mini-b5 to micro-b adapter at radio shack

Guurzak

Reaction score
If you really want to fit those pieces together, here is a 1-piece solution: USB A Female to Micro USB Male. Plug the thumb drive into the adapter and the adapter into your phone. (Whether the phone will mount the drive is a different question.)

With that said, though, why bother? Just treat your Droid as a 16GB thumb drive!

OP
L

LrdElderon

Reaction score
If you really want to fit those pieces together, here is a 1-piece solution: USB A Female to Micro USB Male. Plug the thumb drive into the adapter and the adapter into your phone. (Whether the phone will mount the drive is a different question.)

With that said, though, why bother? Just treat your Droid as a 16GB thumb drive!

Well it was just an idea that crossed my mind, not something I was reasonably expecting to work or do, but yeah I know my phone has 16gb and it's almost full with tv episodes, music, misc stuff ....etc Thumb drives can be as big as 128GB ! i'd say that's reason enough if it actually worked.

jimnutt

Reaction score
It won't work unless the USB port on the droid is put into Host mode, which may or may not be possible.