Best way to move applicatons from internal memory to SD card?

waregledkp

Reaction score
I am new to the Android OS, so when I download apps it appears they all go to the internal memory. I would prefer to have the files go to my 32 GB SD card.

1. How do you transfer them from the internal memory to the SD card?
2. Is there a way to have furture downloaded apps install on the SD card?

Thanks, in advance.

I've had my Bionic for a week and love it, so far!

jstwondrng

Reaction score
For now, it's best not moving apps to the sd card. For some weird reason, there is a bug in the process that erases the apps that are moved to the card.

Once this issue is fixed, then my fav app for moving apps is App2sd.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
waregledkp

waregledkp

Reaction score
I found the following on the web while waiting on someone to respond. I do not have anything on the SD card now, so it will not hurt to try, I guess! I'll test it on a couple of freebies that I may not want to keep. ;) Thx for the reply. I'll also check out your suggestion of App2SD. Thanks, again.

If you’re running out of memory space on your Motorola Droid smartphone because you have so many apps installed, you can move the apps to the SD card.

1. From the Home screen, press Menu.
2. Tap Settings.
3. Tap Applications.
4. Tap Manage applications.
5. Select an app you wish to move.
6. Tap Move to Media (the SD card)

jstwondrng

Reaction score
Yeah, app2sd really makes it simple. But, if you check around this forum you will see several postings complaining about apps disappearing. For some reason, the sd card erases/deletes them.

gsDroid

Reaction score
Move to Media does not install the app on the external 16Gb physical sdcard. It puts it into the 8Gb internal memory partition, which is also called sdcard. The external 16Gb card that we are used to from the D1 is now called sdcard-ext on the Bionic. The internal memory where the apps are being installed apparently is cleared out on a restart. We will need to wait for an update to allow installing apps on the actual external sdcard-ext.

OP
waregledkp

waregledkp

Reaction score
Move to Media does not install the app on the eal 16Gb physical sdcard. It puts it into the 8Gb internal memory partition, which is also called sdcard. The external 16Gb card that we are used to from the D1 is now called sdcard-ext on the Bionic. The internal memory where the apps are being installed apparently is cleared out on a restart. We will need to wait for an update to allow installing apps on the actual external sdcard-ext.

Thanks for the reply. What you said makes sense. After moving my applications to the "media"it did not appear on the 32 GB SD card. nowi know why. ;^)

This kinda limits the SD card to data, music or video downloads, right?

Again, thanks.

69copo

Reaction score
I've been having the same issue. Except I also loose apps that are on the internal memory. Droid Forums keeps disappearing from my home screen and app list. I don't think my apps are updating either. Its been almost a week and nothing. When I plug in the bionic and open files all I see is logs and DCIM. What's going on?

jayrod718

Reaction score
You can use sd card apps, you just have to do a hot reboot with hot reboot app after you do regular reboot

gsDroid

Reaction score
There is a lot of internal memory to install apps. Just let them install and don't move them to 'Media' or 'sdcard'. You would have to install 4Gb of apps before running out of space.