Best Phone Calling App?

azbutch

Reaction score
Well, Simply Applied, you clarified something for me. I didn't know that I could ignore the confirmation screen. That makes a considerable difference. I must admit I like the idea of not dialing because I bumped a widget. Further, the voice recognition dialer doesn't work very well for me. O.K. I'll download and give your app a try. I'll let you know more as I go forward.
Thanks

azbutch

Reaction score
Well, now I have a different problem. I followed your video demonstration. However, when I click on the widget and then click on the person in the upper right (in order to assign a sign) it doesn't bring up my entire phone list. I press on the {View All} but it doesn't bring up any more. Therefore, I haven't been able to get to my wife on my directory in order to give her a symbol assignment. I'm probably doing something dumb or missed something.

Reaction score
Well, Simply Applied, you clarified something for me. I didn't know that I could ignore the confirmation screen. That makes a considerable difference. I must admit I like the idea of not dialing because I bumped a widget. Further, the voice recognition dialer doesn't work very well for me. O.K. I'll download and give your app a try. I'll let you know more as I go forward.
Thanks

Cool, glad you'll give it a shot, and I fully understand that its not going to be for everyone. I can definitely tell that you're pretty particular about how your phone works, and pay attention to functionality. I would love to get your feedback on Sign. Two things.

First, we are implementing the ability for the user to set the default action to Call or Text. Currently it defaults to Call (which is probably how you'll want it based on your post above), but for people more concerned with texting than making calls, they will be able to make it work better for them by defaulting to text.

Also, the duration of the confirmation is adjustable, so you can go from no call confirmation to 4 seconds. Either way, though, the only time it will require any confirmation from the user before initiating the call is if it recognizes more than one contact based on the Sign entered. In that case, it will pull up both contacts and the user will have to select one. However, that doesn't happen often, and can be backed out of.

Anyways, you've got a good system that works for you, but I appreciate you trying out Sign. I hope you like it, but even if you don't, I would like to hear your reasons why so we can look at how to improve Sign.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Well, now I have a different problem. I followed your video demonstration. However, when I click on the widget and then click on the person in the upper right (in order to assign a sign) it doesn't bring up my entire phone list. I press on the {View All} but it doesn't bring up any more. Therefore, I haven't been able to get to my wife on my directory in order to give her a symbol assignment. I'm probably doing something dumb or missed something.

Nope, you found the one problem we are currently in the process of fixing. It only recognizes the contacts from your google account. We are fixing that so any EAS/3rd party contact lists are also included, but we haven't fixed that bug yet. We should have that fixed soon.

There is a workaround which works just fine, if you're interested in trying it. All you have to do is input your wife's contact information into your google account contacts. Then her name/number will show up in the contact list in Sign.

More info about the bug on our blog. The website is currently under reconstruction.

Sorry for the issue, we are trying to fix that bug.

Last edited:

azbutch

Reaction score
O.K. now I will ask a dumb question. What Google account? I have 155 contacts in my Gmail account (none with phone numbers). My Incredible is through Verizon where I have no contact list. So how did you come up with the 14 names & numbers of mine you list in your app?

Reaction score
Not a dumb question at all because Google's various accounts and services can be confusing.

Sign is currently designed to only pull information from the Google account used when you activated the phone. So to the extent numbers are showing up, those are linked to that account. If that account is the same account as your gmail account, then Google is likely pulling in contact information from another one of your google services. You may want to look at your Google Dashboard for the account you activated the phone to review those contacts. Google Account Dashboard info.

Also, you say that your gmail account and your verizon account do not have contacts with phone numbers, however, you have phone numbers in your phone's contact list. Where are those numbers coming from? They should either be coming from your Google Account or from a 3rd party contact list (many of these are related to Exchange Active Sync. These contacts are not pulled into Sign at this time, which is the bug we are attempting to fix because many people use EAS.

I'm definitely interested in finding out more about this because it gets to the heart of our issue with syncing contacts and making sure we capture the contacts people want to use in Sign. As I said, it is currently limited to only contacts in the Google Account, so several people have asked about why some or all of their contacts aren't showing up.

Thanks for your help with this, it is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

azbutch

Reaction score
Well, I went back to my Google contacts and you are right, some of them have telephone numbers and my wife's didn't. However, there are more than 14 that have telephone numbers and I added her phone number to my wife's listing. I then turned off my phone, turned off my computer and rebooted both and went to your app. The same 14 show up. My wife doesn't. So I uninstalled your app and reinstalled it. Same result. And, your {show all} button doesn't work nor does the {call} button.
O.K. What now? Helping is becoming interesting.

Reaction score
Well, I went back to my Google contacts and you are right, some of them have telephone numbers and my wife's didn't. However, there are more than 14 that have telephone numbers and I added her phone number to my wife's listing. I then turned off my phone, turned off my computer and rebooted both and went to your app. The same 14 show up. My wife doesn't. So I uninstalled your app and reinstalled it. Same result. And, your {show all} button doesn't work nor does the {call} button.
O.K. What now? Helping is becoming interesting.

Thanks again. It is difficult to really tell what is going on through a forum like this, but we appreciate your efforts.

If you would like to help some more, could you could please send us a log file - it's easy to do and shouldn't take more than a few minutes. That will provide us additional information about what is going wrong when Sign is attempting to access the contact list on your phone.

First, make sure you have Sign installed, then go through the following steps.

1. Download aLogcat from the market (its free)
2. Install and open aLogcat to ensure it is running, then go back to your home screen
3. Open up your contact list on your phone
4. Close your contact list on your phone
5. Set a new direct dial on your homescreen for someone in your contact list just like you normally would
6. Activate a call using the direct dial icon and then after the phone dialer opens, you can end the call/exit before it actually connects
7. Activate Sign by clicking on the widget
8. Click on the "Contacts" button like you would if you wanted to add a contact
9. Attempt to add a sign to a contact if any show up
10. Save and exit
11. Exit Sign
10. Open up aLogcat and click your menu button
11. Click Send and send an email to this email address - [email protected]

That would be extremely helpful as it provides information about the processes that are running and how the program is accessing the various information.

After we receive that information, the programmer will have to look - that's a foreign language to me, so it may take a few days to respond as he's still working on the other AES/3rd party contact list. Your problem is definitely unique, but we'll see if we can figure it out.

thanks,

SA

Reaction score
Did it again at 3:32 AZ time. You want to take this discussion off the board. Write me at [email protected]

Thanks. Yes, it will be easier to communicate directly by email. Plus, I am betting that nobody else is actually reading this thread anymore. Not exactly thrilling stuff.:)

However, if anyone is still reading this and is having issues with Sign, please let us know at [email protected].