Best Phone Calling App?

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am looking for an application that allows me to call people on my contacts list with one button... a direct dial.

Something a little easier than scrolling through the list.

Any ideas?

bbohannon

Reaction score
Why don't you use the pre-installed shortcut? You can add the shortcut to your home screen to call the contact you want

iPhoneBlowz

Reaction score
Have you tried out Gesture Search? It's not a one click solution, but it's very convenient.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why don't you use the pre-installed shortcut? You can add the shortcut to your home screen to call the contact you want
I'm not sure how you can beat this. Direct dials are one-button dialing. Unless the OP means something else.

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Gesture search works well but I was looking for a one press button to call anyone on my list.

destinydmm

Reaction score
Like previously stated add Direct Dial shortcuts to your homescreen. Then just add them to a folder and rename the folder speed dial?!

Reaction score
It's not a single touch, but we just released our new app Sign, which is a gesture-based speed dialer. You press once to activate the recognition engine and then simply draw a gesture ("sign") right from the home screen. It might be slightly slower than a single tap, but not much slower. However, it prevents misdials and inadvertent calls which can happen with direct dialers.

Also, it lets you choose between calling and texting.

The signs are completely customizable so you can make any sign you want for a contact, i.e., numbers, initials, drawings, etc. because it allows for multi-stroke gestures.

If you want to try it, there is a free version, Sign Lite, which has a limit of 3 contacts. The full version ($1.99) allows for an unlimited amount of contacts.

Just search "Sign" in the market. Check it out and let us know what you think.

Here's a video demo:

[video=youtube;2QsyXtqVAEw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QsyXtqVAEw"]YouTube[/video]

Here are some screenshots:

The contact list with assigned gestures
Screenshot3-1.png

A single stroke Sign on the homescreen (half cut off)
Screenshot2-1.png

A multi-stroke Sign on the homescreen
Screenshot1-1.png

Multiple gestures within one Sign (although this would defeat the purpose of a "speed" dial, it is possible to have up to 8 strokes in any Sign)
1234-1.png

Call confirmation
Screenshot4-1.png

The settings screen
Screenshot5-1.png

Contact Assignment Screen
Screenshot6.png

azbutch

Reaction score
I use the included shortcut app, but I have moved my icons to the next screen on the list as that way I don't bump it and call it by mistake. A simple thumb flip to screen two and 1 press on my ladies picture and I am dialing. Nothing simpler. It would be nice if it took a double tap to prevent mis-dialing, but at least I don't have to look down at several successive screens to verify.

Reaction score
I use the included shortcut app, but I have moved my icons to the next screen on the list as that way I don't bump it and call it by mistake. A simple thumb flip to screen two and 1 press on my ladies picture and I am dialing. Nothing simpler. It would be nice if it took a double tap to prevent mis-dialing, but at least I don't have to look down at several successive screens to verify.

I used to do this all the time, which is where I came up with the idea for Sign. Too many inadvertent calls to people late at night.

pwnvds

Reaction score
The problem with putting all your direct dial contacts in a folder or on a homescreen is that you then have a sea of direct dial contacts and you have to search through to find the one you want to call. With something like Sign, you just gesture who you want to call, no searching for the right contact. Works best when you have 5 or 10 contacts.

Reaction score
The problem with putting all your direct dial contacts in a folder or on a homescreen is that you then have a sea of direct dial contacts and you have to search through to find the one you want to call. With something like Sign, you just gesture who you want to call, no searching for the right contact. Works best when you have 5 or 10 contacts.

Thanks. Actually Sign works pretty well for as many gestures as you can remember. I actually use initials of the contacts I want to have on Sign so I can remember more of them. When two contacts have the same initials, I use a symbol or something for one of the contacts, and that is usually pretty easy to remember as well.

For instance, my wife's initials are the same as someone else I call regularly, so my wife's Sign is a heart (don't judge, it scored some points!) and then I use the initials for the other person.

One other thing is that Sign uses the number of strokes, the order the strokes are made, and the direction the stroke is drawn when evaluating and recognizing the proper contact. For instance, I have two contacts with GS as their initials, but on one of them, I draw the G from the outside in, and on the other I start on the bar in the middle and circle out to make the G. Those are different signs. A V could be drawn 6 different ways, theoretically, however, that would get complicated to remember.

Also, you can use lowercase and uppercase letters.

I have between 20 and 30 contacts and I really don't have a problem remembering them because for most its the initials and there are only a handful where I have to remember its something different. Makes it easier for me.

Anyways, thanks for the comment and I'm happy it appears you like using Sign.