Best dvd ripper?

cyber3d

Reaction score
Best dvd ripper on the MAC?

Hi all, I run both mac and pc. I am using a program called "ImToo" a dvd rip program on the PC. and been configuring files as iPod compatible mp4 at 620x480 (the only size it will allow for this conversion).

But, when I play it on t he droid. I get a thick black border around the entire movie.

I also want to control the bitrate. This program can not change from the approx 1250 rate

Any better programs? for the MAC in particular?

cb2000a

Reaction score
Hi all, I run both mac and pc. I am using a program called "ImToo" a dvd rip program on the PC. and been configuring files as iPod compatible mp4 at 620x480 (the only size it will allow for this conversion).

But, when I play it on t he droid. I get a thick black border around the entire movie.

I also want to control the bitrate. This program can not change from the approx 1250 rate

Any better programs? for the MAC in particular?

Try Handbrake for the mac. Not sure what program to decode the Dvd for the Mac. There is a whole thread devoted to this in the forum take a look at thtat for settings and programs. :)

Shel

Reaction score
DVD Catalyst

Definitely check out DVD Catalyst!

The develper has posted on these boards to answer people's question, and the program already has a "Droid" setting, along with iPhone, IPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPod, etc. etc.

Really nice program, easy to use, and the video is AMAZING! Fills the entire screen, and great sound quality!

C3-PO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V20
DVD Catalyst for sure! I played around with alot of different ones. DVD Catalyst is by far the easiest to get what you want.

AquaDan88

Reaction score
Here's a question. I used to have a program that would take episodic dvds (like seasons of a tv show), and actually separate out the episodes into individual video files while ripping the dvd, but of course, I upgraded to Windows 7 and forgot what it was. Will DVD Catalyst 3 do this? If not, do you know of any programs that would?

OP
cyber3d

cyber3d

Reaction score
I've been using Catalyst for a few nights now and it does indeed separate chapters (if that is what you are asking).

BTW, My library was in avi for the Treo but, now I want it in mp4 (in HQ) for the Droid. So, brought my DVDs out from storage and been converting 24 hours a day on three machines!

Two laptops and one tower. The quickest machine in an Intel with 2 cores at 1.83GHz and a fast built-in DVD drive this gives me an almost 1:1 ratio. One is a netbook with Intel 2 core chip but the DVD drive is external USB and it is slow so even with Catalyst running on both cores it is running at 5 to 7 percent capacity - sucks! 1:3 ratio (that is 1 hour of video takes 3 hours to finish). The tower is a Dell and typically slow - especially with only one core. It gives me a ratio of about 1:4 ratio.

I have a MACPRO with 4 cores at 2.33GHz but alas ... Catalyst does not run MAC.

Mojo

Reaction score
Its not cheep, but I use dvdfab. I can rip, copy, burn and convert just about anything.

D

dvdcatalyst

Episode DVDs

Here's a question. I used to have a program that would take episodic dvds (like seasons of a tv show), and actually separate out the episodes into individual video files while ripping the dvd, but of course, I upgraded to Windows 7 and forgot what it was. Will DVD Catalyst 3 do this? If not, do you know of any programs that would?

DVD Catalyst will display all "tracks" on a DVD, which includes episodes/special features, and even "easter eggs" found on DVD sets such as Lost.
By default, it uses a 10-minute filter (which is adjustable) that basically lets TV episodes and movies through, and blocks things like trailers and intro's.
When you insert a TV DVD, all the episodes found on the DVD will be enabled for conversion, and just like with movies, it will convert them all with the one click, just like it does for movies.

D

dvdcatalyst

cat will it convert divx files i already have on my pc?

Yep, just drag the files (or a folder with the files) onto the program. All that can be handled will be sorted out, and files that are in the folders that dont work (word documents for example) will be ignored.
If it's 1 or 100 files, it's the one click to convert them to Droid-formatted video files.

It's one of the main reasons why I made the program. I had a huge collection of video files, and didn't want to go through them one at a time.