Best Backup App?

AJRAS

Reaction score
Did you have to re download your apps and book marks on the web and stuff

AJRAS

Reaction score
Titanium back up?thanx but no thanx (I'm not rooted nor do I want to be.......yet)

jsmcdon1

Reaction score
Yep. MyBackup Pro is the way to go! Saved my butt twice now. Full backup of apps and data and full restore. I highly recommend it.

Reaction score
Yep. MyBackup Pro is the way to go! Saved my butt twice now. Full backup of apps and data and full restore. I highly recommend it.

I was using this and Backup for Root Users when I had a mytouch. Installed both on the Droid, and after rooting needed to use them because I was doing the nandroid upgrade from 2.0.1 to 2.1. Running Backup for Root Users went through the usual procedure, but left me with an empty folder on the sd, while MyBackup Pro removed the data from the phone itself. So if you ever need to wipe the phone without rebooting, I highly recommend these apps ;)

slinky

Reaction score
Just did a factory reset on my Droid. It reinstalled two apps (both purchased games) automatically. The rest were in the Marketplace -> Downloads. All the ones i had purchased were there still under the "purchased" label so all i needed to do was re-download them. My contacts sync'd accordingly... All in all it was a very painless procedure, and everything came back up well. No need for backup software...

Downloading the apps you purchased might be simple - assuming they were purchased through the Android store. Otherwise they apps are gone. Additionally, what about the data?

Riddick

Reaction score
I'm curious, why do you need a backup program at all? Can't you just connect your phone to a PC, mount it, 'select all' and paste the entire contents on a folder inside of your PC? Then when you want to restore you simply reverse the process pasting the info back onto your phone?

What's stopping this from working?

AJRAS

Reaction score
I'm curious, why do you need a backup program at all? Can't you just connect your phone to a PC, mount it, 'select all' and paste the entire contents on a folder inside of your PC? Then when you want to restore you simply reverse the process pasting the info back onto your phone?

well Riddick ill break it down for u because that was a REALLY noobish Question u just asked so here is the answer.....Mounting only mounts sd card (DUH):dry: so if u coppy that all u get is the sd card contents nothing else:icon_ nono2:

solar

Reaction score

well Riddick ill break it down for u because that was a REALLY noobish Question u just asked so here is the answer.....Mounting only mounts sd card (DUH):dry: so if u coppy that all u get is the sd card contents nothing else:icon_ nono2:

You don't have to be rude to the guy just because he's a droid newbie. Its a valid question if you're not very technical.

Riddick, AJRAS is right in that only certain things are held on your SD card. and those things can be backed up by copying the contents to you PC. The other things (Systems settings, various system files, program installations ) generally reside in your onboard memory, which is seperate from the SD card's memory. and having a backup program makes reinstallation easier and quicker.

+1 for mybackupPRO. I had to wipe my phone because the camera software started to glitch out and looked like what I imagine an acid trip to be. my backup pro backed up a few of my programs settings that were built to be used wth MyBackupPRO, my SMS stuff, my programs and settings. It also ran through reinstalling all my programs automatically. (at least the ones that came from the android store that it. It worked great, I have it do an automatic backup nightly.

Some programs have to be backed up from within the program before you wipe though. Some games, etc will install with the default settings and MyBackupPro won't grab the settings/save files unless the program has been updated to support it.

Riddick

Reaction score
AJRAS what is your problem? I just got the droid a few days ago and I'm trying to learn how it works, hence why I asked the question. Most of the people here seem intelligent and friendly, no need to act like a know-it-all teenager.

only certain things are held on your SD card. and those things can be backed up by copying the contents to you PC. The other things (Systems settings, various system files, program installations ) generally reside in your onboard memory, which is seperate from the SD card's memory.

Ok I just double checked and you're right, all I see are the contents of the SD card. However when I log into ASTRO's filemanager I can browse outside of the 'sdcard' directory and see the rest of the files(or at least what looks like the rest). A shame I can't access those files directly from my PC.

ldimick

Reaction score
From what I can tell EVERYTHING on your phone is backed up with your gmail account.

I did a factory reset the other night and it erases everything and does a complete reload. The phone came back up 5 minutes later just like it was before the reset. All I had to do was setup my desktop widgets and preferences on some of my apps.

Jayson,

Everything is NOT backed up. For example data that is on the SDCARD is not backed up. An example of this is HOME RUN BATTLE.

Also, your widget setup is stored on your phone and if everything had been backed up you would not need to recreate that either.

That is why many people use an add-on backup program. I use Titanium backup and then copy my SDCARD to my C drive periodically.

In a worst case scenario I could reload to factory, reinstall my boot ROM, reinstall the build (themes etc), and then restore my data. Maybe 15 or 20 minutes of work.

solar

Reaction score
Ok I just double checked and you're right, all I see are the contents of the SD card. However when I log into ASTRO's filemanager I can browse outside of the 'sdcard' directory and see the rest of the files(or at least what looks like the rest). A shame I can't access those files directly from my PC.

Yeah, it might be nice. But the backup programs are inexpensive and they make it just that muh easier! :)

AJRAS

Reaction score
AJRAS what is your problem? I just got the droid a few days ago and I'm trying to learn how it works, hence why I asked the question. Most of the people here seem intelligent and friendly, no need to act like a know-it-all teenager.

only certain things are held on your SD card. and those things can be backed up by copying the contents to you PC. The other things (Systems settings, various system files, program installations ) generally reside in your onboard memory, which is seperate from the SD card's memory.

sorry.....i knew that the first day i got it so i just assumed that u would.

again sorry

AJRAS

Reaction score
From what I can tell EVERYTHING on your phone is backed up with your gmail account.

I did a factory reset the other night and it erases everything and does a complete reload. The phone came back up 5 minutes later just like it was before the reset. All I had to do was setup my desktop widgets and preferences on some of my apps.

Jayson,

Everything is NOT backed up. For example data that is on the SDCARD is not backed up. An example of this is HOME RUN BATTLE.

Also, your widget setup is stored on your phone and if everything had been backed up you would not need to recreate that either.

That is why many people use an add-on backup program. I use Titanium backup and then copy my SDCARD to my C drive periodically.

In a worst case scenario I could reload to factory, reinstall my boot ROM, reinstall the build (themes etc), and then restore my data. Maybe 15 or 20 minutes of work.

i had a back up program on my old phone (PIECE OF SH!T) but it would back up EVERYTHING even up to the website cookies.....im really dissapointed that noone can creat 1 like that for the droid

solar

Reaction score
I use SPB backup for my Win Mo PDA, but I haven't tried the android version.