Before flashing custom roms... ?

Sethman29

Reaction score
Hey guys, im getting ready to root and feeling pretty confident about it thankfully. One of the only questions im having right now is... after the root process is complete what "state" is your phone in? I understand that no custom roms are flashed to it until you manually do it, but lets for example say i root the phone and do not install any roms today. Can i count on all my phones features such as maps and 4g to work as they did before i rooted? If anyone could point me in the right direction i would really appreciate it. Thank you!

Reaction score
Phone will literally look and perform the same but you will be in a state of "s-off" otherwise known as security off which will allow you to download and use apps that require superuser permissions. Should you flash a ROM there could potentially be problems with some services so I suggest you research the ROM and find the commonly known bugs so you know what to expect.

sent from a 1.5ghz-Cyanogen 'Bolt
[ROM] CM7 RC 1.6.1
[Kernel] Protekk 2.6.35.14
Waiting for the Vigor...

OP
Sethman29

Sethman29

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply that really helps a lot! I have been trying to become familiar with some roms and some problems they may be experiencing. I read on a forum that all gingerbread roms use the newest official MR2 radio baseband is that correct? I have all the newest updates from verizon with baseband # 1.39.00.0627r could i assume this radio supports gingerbread roms as stated on forums and flash a gb rom without having to flash a new radio? Any info on this would be appreciated!! Thanks agn.
Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply that really helps a lot! I have been trying to become familiar with some roms and some problems they may be experiencing. I read on a forum that all gingerbread roms use the newest official MR2 radio baseband is that correct? I have all the newest updates from verizon with baseband # 1.39.00.0627r could i assume this radio supports gingerbread roms as stated on forums and flash a gb rom without having to flash a new radio? Any info on this would be appreciated!! Thanks agn.

Well the newest radio is the 803 radio aka the MR3.5

When flashing a radio you must first flash the ROM that will run that radio first and then after it is done flashing you need to pull the battery and boot into bootloader and then flash the radio, what type of ROM are you looking for? Sense based or AOSP??
[ROM] CM7 RC 1.6.1
Waiting for the Vigor...

OP
Sethman29

Sethman29

Reaction score
Were you meaning to type 3.5 or 2.5? Not trying to step on anyones toes!! I just have never heard of the 3.5 but i have heard of the 2.5 i have been looking at liquid thunderbread. When you pull the battery did you mean replace it after or let your computer be tje power supply via charge cable?? Sorry just a little confused but i do understand that i will flash my rom before my radio now

Reaction score
Were you meaning to type 3.5 or 2.5? Not trying to step on anyones toes!! I just have never heard of the 3.5 but i have heard of the 2.5 i have been looking at liquid thunderbread. When you pull the battery did you mean replace it after or let your computer be tje power supply via charge cable?? Sorry just a little confused but i do understand that i will flash my rom before my radio now

I refer to the new 802 gingerbread radio as the MR3.5

Here's what you do:
-Get ROM manager from the market
-flash clockwork mod recovery
-boot into recovery
-wipe data/cache/dalvik cache
-then do install zip from SD
-then click choose Zip from SD
-find your liquid thunderbread and flash it
-after the flash is done click reboot
- during the reboot pull the battery
-put the battery back in and hold the power button and volume down button
-hit the power button to select bootloader
-let the radio flash then say click yea to update
-let the radio flash completely and then when you reboot you will have thunderbread and the radio installed and should be good to go

[ROM] CM7 RC 1.6.1
Waiting for the Vigor...

Reaction score
No problem:) happy flashing!

[ROM] CM7 RC 1.6.1
Waiting for the Vigor...