Questions about ROM Manager and installing a custom ROM

turtledroid82

Reaction score
I am trying to customize my ROM w/ ROM Manager and was wondering about a few things. I have recently rooted my HTC Rezound and have read up on alot of things before doing so i am not a complete noob but this is my first rooted smartphone so I am being cautious.

1. Is the rom manager backup as good as nandroid or same b/c i couldnt get nandroid to work on my phone?

2. What are some of coolest and most stable roms to go with?

3. Need a good link for step-by-step instructions for flashing rom and restoring saved rom from sd card.

4. Is there any things that i positively should never do with rooted android? Don't want to destroy my toy.

5. When to use SD card partition and how to setup the right size?

6. Any other helpful tips or cool **** to do with my rooted device?

THANKS FOR ALL INPUT IN ADVANCE, I APPRECIATE THE USE OF YOUR TIME.

Bpowder33

Reaction score
Which recovery did you install that won't allow you to do a nandroid? I recommend using amonra

Check out xda for list of roms, there are so many now. Last I was over there it looked like newtoroots rom had the most attention. I believe it's built off the incredible 4G. Each dev gives instructions for flashing rom. But standard is to flash rom in recovery and flash the boot.img in fastboot if you're still s_on.

OP
T

turtledroid82

Reaction score
the nandroid would boot into recovery then at the point where it would say backing up data it would not go any further left my phone like that for about 5 hrs i pulled battery b/c it was apparently frozen. i don't know what happened but after that i moved all apps off sd card and it worked i may not have had enough space for backup, but if that was case it would've said so, right?

acejavelin

Reaction score
Yeah, ROM Manager works with CWM Recovery, and using that on the Rez is (or was) bad if the battery died completely you couldn't get it to take a charge through the phone, had to get a different battery or stand-alone charger.

Amon Ra or TWRP are kind of tied as the standard custom recovery, either should work well but I don't know if they will work with ROM Manager at all.

For Nandroids, make sure you have enough space on your SD Card, I have seen many fail due to insufficient space, if you are running custom ROMs and making backups I recommend a 32GB or 64GB microSD card to ensure you have sufficient space for everything, the 16 gets clogged up fast with multiple ROMs, Nandroids, and then the regular stuff.

OP
T

turtledroid82

Reaction score
thanks for info very helpful i do still have 16 gb card so i will def upgrade before attempting to flash a new rom going to switch to amonra also i appreciate the input helps to avoid future complications with my phone