Beats Audio Officially Buys Itself Back from HTC

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
beats_audio_2-t2.jpg

As if the dismal financial future that has been getting worse for HTC isn't enough, now it is confirmed that their Beats Audio business partner no longer wants to team up with them. According to the latest report, the Beats by Dre company just bought back the 25% ownership that HTC held onto from the previous renegotiation. They purchased the final share's of themselves back from HTC for $265 million USD.

Previously in 2011, HTC bought a 51% stake in Beats Audio, but a year later, founders Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre bought half of those stocks back, leaving HTC with only 25% ownership. After this latest deal, Beats is wholly owned by itself and HTC has no stake in the company. Both HTC and Beats called each other important partners going forward, and HTC will still utilize Beats Audio technology in several of its devices. For the most part though, this just seems like the typical "playing nice" between two parties when they have an amicable divorce.

Source: It's official! Beats buys back HTC's stake in the company

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have to wonder whom Beats is planning to go with next. Honestly, there's no need for it, but I'm guessing with the number of Beats headphones I see people wearing that people will be willing to buy a phone just because it has Beats on board.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
beats is mostly crap anyways...
But well-marketed crap =p Skull Candy managed to play the same game, just not as well. Get some big names behind your product and it sells itself. I just want to shake my head when I run into people who pay $100 or more for either brands over-the-ear sets, or even $50 or so for their ear buds. Definitely two companies I wish someone had give me a stake in before they got off the ground though. Money for nothing.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
While I would agree that the headphones are a bit too pricey, I have to repeat the old adage, "don't knock it till you try it". For years I've used headphones that cost less than 5 dollars, and I was perfectly happy with it. Then one day I decided to try out a pair of $30.00 earbuds, and I was blown away by the difference in sound quality. I thought music was all about the amount of bass and treble, but there are other nuances your ears can perceive and enjoy, but with cheap headphones they cannot. I've also tried out the Beats headphones, and let me tell you they sound awesome; that is to say it's not all marketing hype.

Now, I do not have the discretionary income to plop a buck-fitty ($150 for those who are not inclined to the vernacular), and even if I did, I wouldn't want the oversized pieces of plastic and metal on my head anyway. The earbuds though...I wouldn't be against owning a pair for the right price.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
While I would agree that the headphones are a bit too pricey, I have to repeat the old adage, "don't knock it till you try it". For years I've used headphones that cost less than 5 dollars, and I was perfectly happy with it. Then one day I decided to try out a pair of $30.00 earbuds, and I was blown away by the difference in sound quality. I thought music was all about the amount of bass and treble, but there are other nuances your ears can perceive and enjoy, but with cheap headphones they cannot. I've also tried out the Beats headphones, and let me tell you they sound awesome; that is to say it's not all marketing hype.

Now, I do not have the discretionary income to plop a buck-fitty ($150 for those who are not inclined to the vernacular), and even if I did, I wouldn't want the oversized pieces of plastic and metal on my head anyway. The earbuds though...I wouldn't be against owning a pair for the right price.

I have a great pair of Sony's that I got for about $40 or so. No point in spending more as I mostly use my phone for music so I don't really get the benefit of higher-end brands, but Beats in any form do not give your your money's worth, nor do Skull Candy sets.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
I personally have some Klipsch S4's and I love them. Paid $50 for them on sale and have had them for 4 years I think.

I would take the cheapest $10 skull candy's over what comes with most phones(IMO).

"While I would agree that the headphones are a bit too pricey, I have to repeat the old adage, "don't knock it till you try it". For years I've used headphones that cost less than 5 dollars, and I was perfectly happy with it. Then one day I decided to try out a pair of $30.00 earbuds, and I was blown away by the difference in sound quality. I thought music was all about the amount of bass and treble, but there are other nuances your ears can perceive and enjoy, but with cheap headphones they cannot. I've also tried out the Beats headphones, and let me tell you they sound awesome; that is to say it's not all marketing hype.

Now, I do not have the discretionary income to plop a buck-fitty ($150 for those who are not inclined to the vernacular), and even if I did, I wouldn't want the oversized pieces of plastic and metal on my head anyway. The earbuds though...I wouldn't be against owning a pair for the right price."

Most beats by dre head phones sound generally pretty good. But not worth the money. For some $150 beats by dre head phones, you could get another brand, for half the price and possibly sound a little better.

Last edited:

DreamBanger

Reaction score
But well-marketed crap =p Skull Candy managed to play the same game, just not as well. Get some big names behind your product and it sells itself. I just want to shake my head when I run into people who pay $100 or more for either brands over-the-ear sets, or even $50 or so for their ear buds. Definitely two companies I wish someone had give me a stake in before they got off the ground though. Money for nothing.

Beats have some quality headphones and they are definitely worth it. You can see a good one here at sometimes. www.thehonestreviews.com/audio/beats-solo-hd-on-ear-headphone-review if you want. And if for some reason you have something against beats, the sennheiser are pretty nice. Even bose has quality audio headphones sometimes.

Last edited: