BB --> Droid... many question

dp69_2001

Reaction score
Hey, I've been a long user of BB for quite about 4 years.. I recently jumped on a sweet deal for an Incredible 2 for FREE from VZW... and now I'm sitting here with a few questions.

how can I get rid of all the VZW bloat, I really don't want the girlfriend or kids grabbing my phone and getting me a new $10 game that I don't want or something, also, I don't want to use this Friendstream widget, I only use facebook... and most of all, my phone needs notifications from facebook. I don't care what everyone's gripe is that hour. But, I do need to maintain contact...

Friendstream and the friendstream widget are not uninstallable, plus... all of the VCAST and everything else that came preinstalled on the phone are not uninstallable as well...

I simply need all of my E-mails, texts, and facebook bs to come to my phone, browsing, music... General phone things... I need to pick my apps, not them pick me. ;)

I've been reading about rooting the phone, is that what I need to do? How do I (free of charge) back up the phone to an SD card or my computer in case something goes wrong? and also, after successfully getting this device where I want it, how do I create a backup of important data in case something goes wrong in the future.

shaggykid

Reaction score
Search google for a guide on how to root your particular phone. That would be step one.

Afterwards you can download apps such as (system app remover) which you can remove all of the bloatwàre with. Also I recommend Titanium back-up.

Edit: System App Remover will allow you to remove all of those uninstallable apps.

Cant think of anything else yet

Sent from your mom's house using my Droid X

OP
D

dp69_2001

Reaction score
Ok... That sounds like what I need to be doing then...

Thank you for the quick reply.

What about installing a new ROM, does that provide additional functionality? or rather the ability to focus functionality? It would seem as this phone is powerful enough to really act as a small computer, if given the opportunity...

I mean, it seems like people are doing some pretty awesome things with these phones...

shaggykid

Reaction score
I just recently flashed a new Rom. I was hesitant to try it. Buts its so easy. Definitely seems like a lot more customization options.

As far as performance I'm not sure yet. Ill give it a few more days and have a better grasp on how the phone runs with my new Rom.

Keep us updated on how the root works out for you.

shaggykid

Reaction score
You will also want to download a bootstrapper app for when you want flash a rom.

Plenty of neat stuff you can do once rooted. ;)

OP
D

dp69_2001

Reaction score
Well, I'm pretty sure I can figure out rooting ok... I've used ubuntu (and before that arklinux) off and on for nearly 10 years and most things seem.... Similar... But mostly I use Linux to code for web and some basic normal retard things... My son runs qimo on his.. but I always just Google the problem and hunt out a solution...

Thing that's stopping me from really ripping this phone to bits is knowing exactly how to get to where I'm at if I manage to really mess this up...

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

OP
D

dp69_2001

Reaction score
Thanks.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
You wont need the bootstrapper like was suggested as above. Its not required for the dinc2. You need to check which system version you have. Menu, settings, about phone, and software. You probably have 2.3.4 which last I heard had not been rooted. You can downgrade to version 2.3.3 easily. Search "how to root incredible 2 with 2.3.4 explained". That will start you towards rooting. Feel free to post your questions on that thread or you can PM me. Congrats on the new phone and welcome to the forums.

This post is Incredible 2!

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
No worries, I've made suggestions before that were wrong (and boy did I hear about it), I know you were honestly trying to help. Just as an Fyi, I believe the bootstrap is just for Motorola phones because how the developers have to "hijack" the boot process to get around the locked bootloader.

This post is Incredible 2!

shaggykid

Reaction score
Great to know! I was just going off of my experience. Still relatively new to all this myself haha

OP
D

dp69_2001

Reaction score
psh

rooting done! any good suggestions on a new ROM? Downgrading and rooting already dumped the info I'd had on there so I might as well go for the gold ;)

Thanks for the help, I ended up using revolutionary and had a couple of snags on the way using the guides that have been written... One of them was pure stupidity, and one was because of a poor link... Otherwise, so easy my mother could do it ;)

OP
D

dp69_2001

Reaction score
This one seems to be pretty awesome... It does come with quite a bit of junk though ;) no worries... Thanks for the help guys!

Sent from my Incredible 2 HD using DroidForums