Battery

mayerjackson

Reaction score
I saw a thread where this was mentioned a bit but not exactly 100% addressed. What is the best way to save battery on your X? Especially the first time you use it. Should I open the box, turn it on, let it die, then charge it full? I don't know too much about batteries so any help would be appreciated

Reaction score
Plug it in let it fully charge even if you are using it leave it plugged in until its fully charged. Than unplug it let it completely die than do another full recharge.

iselector

Reaction score
This is a great question. Droid X has a 1540 mAHLi-Ion battery. Which is a Lithium-ion battery. One of the key advantages, and why they are in most devices today, is because they dont have the "memory effect". Here's the tricky part. These battery's aren't meant to be fully charged all the time. So it is better to give your phone several power boosts of charge throughout the day.

heres a quote from wiki on fully charging Lithium-ion batteries.

"A unit that is full most of the time at 25 °C (77 °F) irreversibly loses approximately 20% capacity per year. Poor ventilation may increase temperatures, further shortening battery life. Loss rates vary by temperature: 6% loss at 0 °C (32 °F), 20% at 25 °C (77 °F), and 35% at 40 °C (104 °F). When stored at 40%–60% charge level, the capacity loss is reduced to 2%, 4%, and 15%, respectively"

heres the link:
Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Reaction score
I know about them not caring when you charge them or for how long but I do know once every month your suppose to do a full charge "laptop". Me i put my batteries threw the paces and when I am in the car playing pandora it is plugged in charging "phone".

You are still suppose to do a full charge when you get the battery and a full depletion.

iselector

Reaction score
Full charges are going to be inevitable. Just not something that should be a priority. Also, the no memory effect means that the battery is already set to accept the full capacity, and its only down hill from here. So its up to the user how long the battery life is with how they manage the charging.

From HowStuffWorks.com

• They hold their charge. A lithium-ion battery pack loses only about 5 percent of its charge per month, compared to a 20 percent loss per month for NiMH batteries.
  • They have no memory effect, which means that you do not have to completely discharge them before recharging, as with some other battery chemistries.
  • Lithium-ion batteries can handle hundreds of charge/discharge cycles.
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/lithium-ion-battery.htm

Do you listen thru your stereo in the car? I was looking for a FM transmitter for the droids.

Last edited:

robyr

Reaction score
Full charges are going to be inevitable. Just not something that should be a priority. Also, the no memory effect means that the battery is already set to accept the full capacity, and its only down hill from here. So its up to the user how long the battery life is with how they manage the charging.

From HowStuffWorks.com

• They hold their charge. A lithium-ion battery pack loses only about 5 percent of its charge per month, compared to a 20 percent loss per month for NiMH batteries.
  • They have no memory effect, which means that you do not have to completely discharge them before recharging, as with some other battery chemistries.
  • Lithium-ion batteries can handle hundreds of charge/discharge cycles.
HowStuffWorks "How Lithium-ion Batteries Work"

Do you listen thru your stereo in the car? I was looking for a FM transmitter for the droids.

iselector, I just personally want to thank you for at least attempting to educate the masses about Li-Ion technology. I really have nothing to say on this matter however on the stereo part I can definitely recommend something to you:

BUY A BLUETOOTH HEAD UNIT!

It's seriously worth it. Quality is magnitudes higher, and Android is pretty good with controls except for select Nissan stock systems. Its also really slick for phone calls. Either way, good shot on the battery info, and good luck on the stereo setup. I personally will never use a FM transmitter again after having Bluetooth in-car. Blows its doors off.

kmcgee62

Reaction score
Does anyone know when the LTE toggle update is going to be released

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

gvanmeter

Reaction score
Download "phone info" app to toggle manually...see Droid-Life's article on it from a day or two ago.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

shinokodomo13

Reaction score
What does an explanation point mean on a grey battery. It just started happening.

Sent from my Droid inc. 2

ChrisBlaszak

Reaction score
It's "exclamation" point, and it means the battery isn't communicating with the phone. At least that's what I've read.

ki3t1995

Reaction score
Try taking out the battery and blowing on the terminals on both the phone and the battery. That should fix the problem

Sent from my Incredible 2

gclo85

Reaction score
I just got a Razr Maxx from Amazon Wireless yesterday. How am I able to tell that the extended battery is working? When I go into status, I'm only seeing 1 battery. I also have been using it pretty heavily since 7 AM and it's down to 80%. Is that good or do I just need to break in the battery by draining and charging?

ccgustavus

Reaction score
There is only one battery, and if you are at 80 with heavy usage since 7, that's about average. You can drain battery, some will say it helps, others say its a waste.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I just got a Razr Maxx from Amazon Wireless yesterday. How am I able to tell that the extended battery is working? When I go into status, I'm only seeing 1 battery. I also have been using it pretty heavily since 7 AM and it's down to 80%. Is that good or do I just need to break in the battery by draining and charging?

There is no benefit to cycling the battery to "break it in". The battery will have it's greatest ability to hold a charge immediately after manufacture and will gradually lose capacity over time whether you use it our not. Expected shelf life of a Lithium Ion Polymer battery is approximately 3 years to 70% of original capacity which is considered end of life. You can minimize the effect by charging and discharging properly.

At least once, and better to do once every month or two, power the phone completely off, then charge to 100%, then power on and use normally until you get the low battery notice at 15%, then charge while powered off again and you're done. Don't let it drain below 15% if at all possible, and avoid ever allowing it to drain completely and power down on it's own. If this happens, immediately put it on charge and charge fully once again. It's better for the battery to do shorter multiple charges through the day than one long charge followed by a full discharge every night, as the battery will last longer.

Ignore and recommendations to either "cycle" the battery or to "deep discharge" it. Cycling simply takes one of it's finite number of useable cycles away, and deep discharging could result in permanent damage to the battery or the phone could become unresponsive to power or charge "black screen of death".
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
My battery indicator is around 30% at the end of my 15 hour day of useage while entirely away from any wifi connection. With a wifi connection for the full time my battery is at 40% after the 2nd day of useage. Pretty impressive if you ask me and 8 am a heavy user of my phone not only as a phone but as aocket computer. I have been unable to kill this phones battery in any single 15 hour days useage. Best phone I ever had and will be better nice ICS is pushed out to it.