Battery suddenly died

OP
TheOldFart

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I have never seen a phone or tablet discharge lower than about 3.5v, even if discharged to 0%. Even if the battery percentage is not properly calibrated, the phone will still shut down at 3.5v, preventing a deep discharge and damaging the battery. That is why the battery percentage drops so rapidly when the voltage gets near 3.5v if the percentage is incorrect. The point of no return is about 2.8v (Battery University puts it at 2.7v), so even if a battery were to be discharged to 3.0v, it will not destroy the battery. It is common for RC buffs to discharge their batteries to 3.0v time and time again. The more conservative ones seem to stop at about 3.2v. This voltage is also common for Li-Ion flashlights. Now, I'm sure this will shorten the battery life more than stopping at 3.5v, but it will not instantly ruin the battery. Unfortunately, I was not charting or checking the voltage when the percentage rapidly dropped from 49%. However, when it instantly dropped from 14% to 8% the second cycle, the voltage was still about 3.6v. I've since deleted the widget in use at the time, so I don't have the graph to post.

I would imagine that the components heating up also contribute to the increased battery temperature, even though the battery discharging is the major factor. That's why I posted "In addition, the battery is heating because it is being used." I was going to change the post to make that the primary point, but I was too lazy to change it. I will be discharging both the Maxx and my One until they shut down this cycle to make sure that they shut down at no lower than about 3.5v. I'll monitor the voltage the last few percent. My One was at 3.605v when I shut it off at 10% yesterday. Running the phones down to 0% should not be any problem, as 3.5v is well above the voltage that will shorten the life.

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually, the battery temperature makes sense to me. I'm thinking that the battery is being heated by the electronics components heating up. Notice that the battery temperature rises when the voltage and battery percentage are dropping relatively rapidly. The electronics are heating up because the device is being used and this heat conducts to the battery. In addition, the battery is heating because it is being used. The battery heats up anytime it is charging or discharging more than it does when idle. It's the same with percentage and voltage. They drop anytime the device is being used and discharging. Screen off and little CPU usage = lower temp and lower voltage and percentage change. Screen on and more CPU usage = higher temp and greater voltage and percentage change.

Edit: As far as the battery life on the Maxx, it is great. The original problem if the percentage rapidly falling from 50% down to near 0% was after a long usage time. This has not happened after charging back up to 100%. The 2nd rundown was smooth until a fairly quick drop from 14% to 8%. I expect that this will smooth out more now that it's had a 3rd charge.

What I'm talking about is where everything is raising at once. Is this indicating it's being charged ? That's where I'm baffled. The rest of it makes sense, spikes in usage will correspond with both drop in numbers but rising temps as y'all have said .
Have you tried Watch Dog Lite and a real time cpu ?

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

OP
TheOldFart

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Yes, the phone was being charged where the graph color is green. As you can see, it stayed plugged in for some time even after it reached full charge.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I have never seen a phone or tablet discharge lower than about 3.5v, even if discharged to 0%. Even if the battery percentage is not properly calibrated, the phone will still shut down at 3.5v, preventing a deep discharge and damaging the battery. That is why the battery percentage drops so rapidly when the voltage gets near 3.5v if the percentage is incorrect. The point of no return is about 2.8v (Battery University puts it at 2.7v), so even if a battery were to be discharged to 3.0v, it will not destroy the battery. It is common for RC buffs to discharge their batteries to 3.0v time and time again. The more conservative ones seem to stop at about 3.2v. This voltage is also common for Li-Ion flashlights. Now, I'm sure this will shorten the battery life more than stopping at 3.5v, but it will not instantly ruin the battery. Unfortunately, I was not charting or checking the voltage when the percentage rapidly dropped from 49%. However, when it instantly dropped from 14% to 8% the second cycle, the voltage was still about 3.6v. I've since deleted the widget in use at the time, so I don't have the graph to post.

I would imagine that the components heating up also contribute to the increased battery temperature, even though the battery discharging is the major factor. That's why I posted "In addition, the battery is heating because it is being used." I was going to change the post to make that the primary point, but I was too lazy to change it. I will be discharging both the Maxx and my One until they shut down this cycle to make sure that they shut down at no lower than about 3.5v. I'll monitor the voltage the last few percent. My One was at 3.605v when I shut it off at 10% yesterday. Running the phones down to 0% should not be any problem, as 3.5v is well above the voltage that will shorten the life.

You are right on all points. The phones are spec'd to battery levels much higher than 3 Volts when they're supposedly discharged as you indicated, that's why I said "much below 3 Volts" when talking about the protection mode. Under normal conditions with a meter that's calibrated properly discharging to 0% shouldn't be an issue. Only concern is that I've worked with many phone owners whose phones have dropped dangerously close to protection mode in situations like yours and have become unresponsive to charging (white light of death).

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk