Battery sucks after update

korky122

Reaction score
my battery died last night after i turned it off. it was yellow but had time left. weird.

arcsum68

Reaction score
Lets be honest for a second...if you didn't download any apps or any games and then did the update, your battery is not going to be lessened for no apparent reason. There is no magic working behind the scenes.

Hypochondriac'ism or simply delusional? :)

Let be honest???? You think people are lying? Lets look at this from a reverse point of perspective. If the battery cannot be lessened by an update, then it should also stand to reason that it cannot be improved. Get your head out for a second to think about what you are saying, you are contradicting yourself.

I posted that my battery was worse, I didnt not post what apps I had installed (no weatherbug or any IM clients, not even locale) because it was not an issue before the update. I am NOT saying that an app is not to blame, I am saying after the update my battery is discharging at a significantly faster rate than it was prior to the update with the same apps/phone/battery/usage/ect. I did not get the update then feel some compelling urge to install 30 different apps and surf the internet for 3 hrs straight and complain that my battery sucks.

I am a certified proffessional who has provided tech support for over a decade, I am not some idiot shlub who cant get his wireless working and I dont need to "log" my usage to know that my battery is all of the sudden dying quicker than it used to. I honestly had no complaints about my battery life up until the update.

If I have to uninstall everything and start over I will, I posted a "me too" so that the few people that were complaining didnt feel like they were the only ones having the issue.

OP
zz500

zz500

Reaction score
Lets be honest for a second...if you didn't download any apps or any games and then did the update, your battery is not going to be lessened for no apparent reason. There is no magic working behind the scenes.

Hypochondriac'ism or simply delusional? :)

Let be honest???? You think people are lying? Lets look at this from a reverse point of perspective. If the battery cannot be lessened by an update, then it should also stand to reason that it cannot be improved. Get your head out for a second to think about what you are saying, you are contradicting yourself.

I posted that my battery was worse, I didnt not post what apps I had installed (no weatherbug or any IM clients, not even locale) because it was not an issue before the update. I am NOT saying that an app is not to blame, I am saying after the update my battery is discharging at a significantly faster rate than it was prior to the update with the same apps/phone/battery/usage/ect. I did not get the update then feel some compelling urge to install 30 different apps and surf the internet for 3 hrs straight and complain that my battery sucks.

Exactly! You hit the nail on the head. Thank you.

keiichi25

Reaction score
Guys... I am aware you stated nothing has changed except the update. I also followed up with a post stating that the update may have made issues of that nature much more noticeable.

In all honesty, guys... By NOT posting the applications and simply blaming the update without much more than what is being asked of you, some people will treat it as, "You're crazy..."

All I can do is tell you what we know, but nothing will improve if you just dig your feet in and not take the extra steps being asked of you to see if we can resolve the issue.

arcsum68

Reaction score
And that is fair, the person I was responding to wanted to blame the problem on lying or some other mental disease.

Personally I suspect its viz battery or koxx weather widget that is causing the issue. Weather has been screwy since the update, and I was reading on another widget having issues since the way API's were handled had changed. Koxx has had an update and since my usage is not been consistent yesterday and today I have not bothered to spend much time on it. I didnt even look for this thread, I just noticed it when I was browsing the forum.

OP
zz500

zz500

Reaction score
Guys... I am aware you stated nothing has changed except the update. I also followed up with a post stating that the update may have made issues of that nature much more noticeable.

In all honesty, guys... By NOT posting the applications and simply blaming the update without much more than what is being asked of you, some people will treat it as, "You're crazy..."

All I can do is tell you what we know, but nothing will improve if you just dig your feet in and not take the extra steps being asked of you to see if we can resolve the issue.

I get what you're saying, but for me... I've removed most of the market apps that I had pre-update. No widgets, no custom home screen, no clock, no app killers. No nuttin. My battery is worse after the update plain and simple. I don't know how to spell it out any clearer.

If folks really need to know what apps were installed before the update or those currently running to help with a possible solution to this specific issue, then I can do that -- but I feel that process is moot since my Droid is now bare-bones and still the same terrible battery performance since the update.

I was really happy before the update with my battery, I cannot express that enough. It rocked. But now....it sucks. My Droid is now void of market apps -- same issue.

If someone would be kind enough to download a battery widget called "BatteryTime Lite" I'm curious to see what the time reads after a full charge for web surfing. Before the update it read about 6:39 hrs -- now after, it reads 4:33 after a full charge. I know this widget may have issues or not compatible with the new update but like I said, I'm just curious what readings others may have. Btw, I don't rely on the widget but that's where I first noticed the loss in performance. I've since uninstalled it along with everything else.

fr4c

Reaction score
A long shot, but have people tried dialing *228, then option 1 and also option 2 (which updates the PRL) after doing the update?

My battery life was pretty horrendous prior, but after performing the reprogram with moderate usage I'm sitting at 80% at the end of the day (Gmail push on, 3 other emails fetching every 15 minutes, Beautiful Widgets with Geo, App update via Market, some browsing, a few phone calls, and 20 texts)

OP
zz500

zz500

Reaction score
A long shot, but have people tried dialing *228, then option 1 and also option 2 (which updates the PRL) after doing the update?

My battery life was pretty horrendous prior, but after performing the reprogram with moderate usage I'm sitting at 80% at the end of the day (Gmail push on, 3 other emails fetching every 15 minutes, Beautiful Widgets with Geo, App update via Market, some browsing, a few phone calls, and 20 texts)

Thanks. I tried that just now. will let you know later.

fr4c

Reaction score

Thanks. I tried that just now. will let you know later.
Make sure that the PRL version is 51716, which was released right after the 2.0.1 update. I would do a Power off/Battery pull also.

arcsum68

Reaction score
I updated the PRL and did a battery pull earlier today. I am sitting at 70% so far. I did not have much activity, but compared to what I have been experience i think its improved. I will post back tomorrow, I will leave it off the charger tonight and see how it looks in the morning and with some more consistent usage tomorrow.

heavyMGS

Reaction score
I to am experiencing much worse BATT life after the update. Gonna do the PRL update and give it another go because I didn't change anything to the phone as far as apps go. I'm thinking the PRL update is gonna help, I will let you guys know.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello gentleman. I have cleaned this thread up some. Please refrain from that kind of posting here. It is not welcomed or supported on this forum

ScooberJake

Reaction score

I too noticed significantly reduced battery usage after the update, though it wasn't fantastic before the update. Does this somehow make me an idiot? In fact there are LOTS of things happening behind the scenes, but none of them are magic.

Before, a full day off charger (16 hrs) and normal usage for me (a few phone calls, maybe download a few apps, check email every hour or two, a few txts, and a little bit of browsing, Locale w/ GPS all day) I would be down to 10-20%.

Today, I have been off charger for 5 hrs. No phone calls, one txt received, checked email a time or two, no browsing or app downloading, and I am down to 40%. This is based on the battery widget and spare parts, both agree.

But the phone is definitely doing something different. Before, the screen was by far the biggest user of battery. Today, I am getting:

Email - 20%
Locale - 18%
Android OS - 15%
Android System - 14%
Phone Idle - 14%
Cell Stand-by - 10%
Display - 5%

So something definitely changed for me. No new apps. I did update apps after the Droid update when those came through, but my problem appears to be with Email, which shouldn't be affected by those. Spare parts also says that Email is by far the biggest partial wake user. I am in the process of switching from Hotmail to Gmail, so I may try turning off the Email sync. But first I will pull the battery and reset the phone (*228 or whatever). Will try to report back.

Condescending and derrogative replies from those who think they are smarter than me simply because their device isn't having the same problem are not welcome. Thanks.

arcsum68

Reaction score
Well put scoober. I would like to add, the main reason I join forums is because the collective is stronger than the individual. If we DIDNT post that we were having a problem then we might never know of the fix and assume that nobody else did. Thanks to the mod for taking charge.

Back on topic.

1d 1h 17mins since unplugged and I am sitting at 20%, so my battery life has definitely improved since doing the PRL update and battery pull. I think I am now seeing the improvements the majority were seeing. Its not a TRUE test because I did do some market updates, other than that the usage has been pretty standard for a light user consisting of

20 calls
20 txt's
bluetooth on
couple market updates
some light bathroom browsing
koxx weather widget donate with current and auto refreshed location and 30min updates
194x unlocking my phone because its beautiful and I like to play with it

Last edited:

Hooblaim

Reaction score
For me I fully charge before going to bed and then when I woke up it was at 80%! Well last night I kept on the charger until 6:30 this morning and about an hour or two of wifi use and redst standby and now its 3:46 with 50% battery. Is this a bad battery?