Battery Stops charging

quiksilverdad

Reaction score
Wierd: While travelling in the car and using navigation with the Droid in the car cradle and the charger hooked up: All of a sudden I notice that the lightening bolt has disappeared and the battery is draining form using the GPS. I removed the battery, re-booted, and it strarts charging again, but after a while, charging stops. Rinse, repeat, and its back again. The Motorola charger seems fine - no shorts or kinks or anything. I'm running 2.1, non-rooted, with Helix. It seems that the GPS is stopping the charging process. Anyone else seen this?

lunargecko

Reaction score
Maybe it's the cigarette lighter. I notice in some cars my Droid won't really charge while in others it'll be just fine.

OP
Q

quiksilverdad

Reaction score
Maybe it's the cigarette lighter. I notice in some cars my Droid won't really charge while in others it'll be just fine.

Thanks, that is a possibility, except for the fact that I change nothing except for the re-boot of the phone. It is pretty hot though, both battery and case. Thinking it might be heat related.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Overheated battery. It's fairly well covered in a number of threads.

bekyndnunwind

Reaction score

Thanks, that is a possibility, except for the fact that I change nothing except for the re-boot of the phone. It is pretty hot though, both battery and case. Thinking it might be heat related.

I don't know if you're rooted / overclocked, but if so my phone would do this and get SUPER hot using P3 froyo LV 1000mhz kernel. I woke up one morning expecting my phone to be fully charged, and instead it was burning hot and still at 20%. I changed to chevy's LV kernel and all is right again. :icon_ banana:

But if you aren't using the P3 kernel or overclocked then I'm not sure what could be the cause.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you're rooted / overclocked, but if so my phone would do this and get SUPER hot using P3 froyo LV 1000mhz kernel. I woke up one morning expecting my phone to be fully charged, and instead it was burning hot and still at 20%. I changed to chevy's LV kernel and all is right again. :icon_ banana:

But if you aren't using the P3 kernel or overclocked then I'm not sure what could be the cause.

That shouldn't happen if you are using SetCPU and have your profiles set up properly. I wouldn't let the battery get past 50 Centigrade.

OP
Q

quiksilverdad

Reaction score
Thanks, thinking it is overheating I downloaded BatteryMinder, which does give me temps, but not being rooted, I assume there is not much else I can do with temps other than watch them, correct?
(2.1, Helix launcher, non-rooted)

bassjason

Reaction score
Had this same issue, the power cord actually bent the micro USB port causing the power cord not to work. Swapped phones to a refurbished one with the same battery, that fixed it