Battery Settings question - Stay Awake?

publicanimal

Reaction score
I just noticed under Settings > Battery Settings there is a "Stay awake" option. Does anyone know what this does? I had two guesses. First, I thought maybe it kept the lock screen from enabling when the screen was off, but I tested it and this isn't the case. Second, I thought it might keep the screen awake indefinitely, but this isn't the case either.

Any ideas? It seems to be a pretty odd setting as the battery should only not be "awake" when the battery is dead.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Try rebooting after applying the change.

Sent from Miui - My Theme 2 Droid

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hmm...possibly a milestone feature.

Sent from Miui - My Theme 2 Droid

OP
P

publicanimal

Reaction score
The Milestone is essentially just the GSM version of the Droid right?

Weird setting! I'm not sure if it actually even does anything at all. If anyone knows that it does in fact do something I'd be interested to find out.

TedWilliams

Reaction score
Born in Cambridge, MA but now live in Portland, OR
I just noticed under Settings > Battery Settings there is a "Stay awake" option. Does anyone know what this does? I had two guesses. First, I thought maybe it kept the lock screen from enabling when the screen was off, but I tested it and this isn't the case. Second, I thought it might keep the screen awake indefinitely, but this isn't the case either.

Any ideas? It seems to be a pretty odd setting as the battery should only not be "awake" when the battery is dead.

It does keep the screen awake, but it only applies when you're charging the battery. If I recall correctly, this is a feature that has been around for a long time; not only in MIUI. However, I think in other roms, and perhaps the stock OS, it's labeled "Keep screen awake while charging", or something similar to that. Why keep the screen awake when charging though is beyond me lol.

Oddly enough, you can have that setting turned on, but still press the screen off button and it works like normal. Weird.

OP
P

publicanimal

Reaction score

It does keep the screen awake, but it only applies when you're charging the battery. If I recall correctly, this is a feature that has been around for a long time; not only in MIUI. However, I think in other roms, and perhaps the stock OS, it's labeled "Keep screen awake while charging", or something similar to that. Why keep the screen awake when charging though is beyond me lol.

Oddly enough, you can have that setting turned on, but still press the screen off button and it works like normal. Weird.

Ah, I think you're right. I think the settings menu used to that in previous Miui builds as well, it looks like the "while charging" just got dropped. Thanks for the reply.

I only plug my phone in when swapping files between my PC anyhow, I have 3 batteries that I charge externally and I just do a battery swap when the battery gets low. It's the life.

TedWilliams

Reaction score
Born in Cambridge, MA but now live in Portland, OR

Ah, I think you're right. I think the settings menu used to that in previous Miui builds as well, it looks like the "while charging" just got dropped. Thanks for the reply.

I only plug my phone in when swapping files between my PC anyhow, I have 3 batteries that I charge externally and I just do a battery swap when the battery gets low. It's the life.

Yeah it's weird they changed it to just "Stay Awake". The only thing I could think of is that they assumed that by putting the setting in the battery settings menu, we'd pick up on that lol.

Totally agree about sporting multiple batteries. I only have 2 myself, but that's more than enough to get me through a day or 2/3.

ty_

Reaction score
under the development settings there is the still the option to keep the screen awake while charging.