Droid RAZR screen won't stay awake when in car dock

AltimateJP

Reaction score
After the upgrade to ICS, my RAZR's screen won't stay awake when the phone is in the car dock and plugged in. It sleeps after the interval that is set on the Display Settings screen (1 min, 5 min, or 10 min, I believe, but no option for "stay on indefinitely". Prior to the upgrade, the screen would stay awake when in the car dock regardless of what the screen sleep interval was set to.

Can anyone help me find a way to keep the screen from sleeping when in the car dock?

Thanks!!

Also, as a bonus, can anyone tell me how to have the stock car dock app load when the phone is inserted into the dock instead of VZ Navigator?

Thanks again!

onemat

Reaction score
One of the cool things about ICS is you can disable unwanted pre installed apps like VZW Navigator. From Manage Apps select VZ Navigator. If it gives you the option on Uninstall Updates, do it. Then you will have the option to Disable. Disable it. When you hit NAV on the dock menu it will default to Google Navigation.
As for your screen going dark when in the car dock. It turned out to be the power disconedting from the dock. When I first got the dock, I would lose power and the screen would go out, Do you have a straight, not coiled power cable? The one flaw of the dock is the plug input port for power allows some wriggle in the plug which disconects power to the dock and ultimately the phone. A common coiled cigarette adapter was putting too much strain on the end of the wire.
I found a lighter straight wire power cord, the kind that plugs into the new USB type cigarette lighter adapter. This took the pulling strain off the plug and I stopped losing power. Hope this helps.
Matt

scolmer

Reaction score
Same problem here post ICS update

One of the cool things about ICS is you can disable unwanted pre installed apps like VZW Navigator. From Manage Apps select VZ Navigator. If it gives you the option on Uninstall Updates, do it. Then you will have the option to Disable. Disable it. When you hit NAV on the dock menu it will default to Google Navigation.
As for your screen going dark when in the car dock. It turned out to be the power disconedting from the dock. When I first got the dock, I would lose power and the screen would go out, Do you have a straight, not coiled power cable? The one flaw of the dock is the plug input port for power allows some wriggle in the plug which disconects power to the dock and ultimately the phone. A common coiled cigarette adapter was putting too much strain on the end of the wire.
I found a lighter straight wire power cord, the kind that plugs into the new USB type cigarette lighter adapter. This took the pulling strain off the plug and I stopped losing power. Hope this helps.
Matt

I have the same issue. I upgraded last night to ICS and now when I put it in the cradle (which I've used every day without it ever going to sleep) it defaults to VZ Navigator and does not even give me the option to use Motorola's controls and furthermore falls asleep after the 1 minute interval. I will try disabling VZ Navigator and see what happens. There is definitely no loose connection. It charges fine in the dock.

**UPDATE**I appear to have sucessfully un-installed VZ Navigator (even though I just chose the "uninstall updates" option). Now I get the proper Motorola Navigation Dock upon insertion in the car dock. It no longer goes to sleep and has a nice, updated interface. I have not fully tested it however.

**Second Update**VZ Navigator mysteriously re-appeared with an update and auto-launched in the vehical navigation doc again. Then upon leaving it, it went to the normal (non-nav) home screen. Pulling down and tapping the "Vehicle Navigation Dock" notification brought me to the ICS/Motorola Nav screen, but the screen started going to sleep again after the designated time out. This time, I was able to remove updates and disable VZ Navigator and the problem went away.

Last edited:

dishnu

Reaction score
Ok i had the same issue with the vehicle mode, there is a setting in the apps that allows you to disable the VZ Navigator. Also the only way that it will not time out is to be in the vehicle mode.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
AltimateJP

AltimateJP

Reaction score
No loose power connection

I'll try disabling VZ Navigator and will let you all know what happens. But regarding the screen sleep problem, the power connection from the power outlet to the dock, and from the dock to the phone are both fine, and the phone charges fine in the dock. Somehow the phone is not completely recognizing that its in the dock with ICS. For example, when it was in the car dock, pressng "home" would always return to the Vehicle Home screen before my ICS upgrade. Now when I press home, it goes to the regular phone home screen and I have to go back to the Vehicle Mode home screen by selecting it in the notification bar.

dishnu

Reaction score
Now that issue i have not been able to resolve about the vehicle mode where it goes to the main screen rather then the vehicle page.

Tracey4

Reaction score
Yes, they basically ruined the car dock in ICS. I posted a couple times about it because i was pretty upset. There was the issue with vz navigator opening, then the screen won't stay on, then the home button doesn't work properly, then there was no music player. So i downloaded Car Home Ultra. There is an option to"keep screen on". Also the home button won't make it go to the main home launcher, but to the car dock instead. And it has media controls like the old music player. But it does annoy me sometimes when you put the phone on the car dock i have to unlock it myself.

IMO they really dropped the ball on designing the car dock app for ICS. Let me know if you need anymore help with it.

OP
AltimateJP

AltimateJP

Reaction score
Ok, I disabled VZ Navigator last night but waited until my drive to work this morning to test it out in the car. It seems to have worked. Although I had to touch the screen to unlock the phone once it was in the dock (another issue that's new with ICS - with GB, it would unlock automatically when inserted into the dock), the stock car dock screen opened right away, and the screen did not go to sleep during my entire commute (and I was sure to not interact with it at all while driving).

The home button still returns me to the standard home screen instead of the car mode home screen, but I guess that's a minor nuisance I'll have to live with.

Thanks for all of your help and comments.

dishnu

Reaction score
I tried the car home ultra and that is better then the old gingerbread car dock... going to be switching to that rather then use the ICS version

Inky1216

Reaction score
I don't have the official car dock, just a generic one that can hold any phone, GPS, etc. I use the app Car Dashboard Pro and have a SmartAction set up that loads that app, keeps the screen on, GPS On / Wi-Fi Off. Smart Action triggered by plugging power and headphones - pretty much the only time I plug both in is when I'm in the car. Sort of a work around, but it does work for me, and ICS update didn't change it :)