Battery Question

67RS.SS

Reaction score
I feel like I have the keep awake bug for my Galaxy Nexus that I just got. My question is I have had it less than 14 days and I was wondering if all the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon seem to be having this problem or is it kind of hit or miss? Should I return it and get a new one and hope that the new one doesn't have it? Even the Galaxy Nexus the Verizon Sales Rep in the store had was having the same issue and I was trying to explain to him that it shouldn't be having the problem but he kept trying to tell me its because its dual core and the screen and blah blah blah. Help would be much appreciated

Reaction score
I can't speak for EVERYONE but from what I've been seeing yes, its a Verizon Nexus thing. I'm waiting for the next update in hopes that Google takes care of this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

slider112

Reaction score
From what I've been able to discern through reading across multiple forums is it's definitely hit or miss. There are many GN owners who don't have this bug, myself included fortunately. I'd have to think there's a good chance you could return it and your new phone would be just fine.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
From what I've been able to discern through reading across multiple forums is it's definitely hit or miss. There are many GN owners who don't have this bug, myself included fortunately. I'd have to think there's a good chance you could return it and your new phone would be just fine.

There was a lot of us really worried about this bug and none more so than me. However, a Google Developer, I don't recall her name, came out with a statement that the main problem was that in that Keep Awake time was supposed to be active CPU time (or some phrase like that) minus the actual Screen Time. But what happened is that it is being calculated with Screen Time added, not subtracted. I have no idea if this is really true.

Here's my take on controlling the Keep Awake time:

As noted in a lot threads on a lot of forums, there are some phones that have a problem with the Android OS and the "Keep Awake" time. There seems to be an issue with some phones not truly going to sleep when the power button is used to turn off the screen as opposed to letting the screen turn off automatically when the screen times out. This results in a very high time in the Settings/Battery/Android OS/Keep Awake menu.

In stock form and with every rom that I have installed, my "Keep Awake" time was always about 50-60% of my total battery time. If the phone had been off charger for 8 hours, I'd have 4-6 hours of Andorid OS "Keep Awake" time. This was true even if the phone had been in my pocket unused and seems to be exacerbated by my habit of turning the screen off manually with the power button every single time. I used to never let the screen timeout.

There seems to be two "fixes" according to Franco (of kernel fame). One concerns the camera. Seems the camera is started and then turned off during startup. But in so doing, it leaves a sensor active and this prevents the phone from actually going to sleep. So he recommends starting and using the back button to go back to the home screen. The other is DRM Protected Content. He recommends this be disabled or frozen. A third, that I don't believe I recall seeing him recommend but that I have seen on his thread at XDA (down for blackout right now) is to disable Maps.

I have done all three of those and my Keep Awake time has gone from 40-50% of my total battery time down to a few percentage points. I mean if I don't use my phone it will now show less than a minute of Keep Awake time per hour.

You can also test if you have the Keep Awake bug by setting your Screen Off time to 30 seconds and then not using your Power Button to put the phone asleep. Just let the time out turn off the screen.

Good luck