Battery Overheating

L

leroybrute

On Saturday, December 10, my 2 week old HTC Rezound's battery overheated. It had not done this previously. The phone was not in use. It was in my pruse where it has been many times and never overheated. When I took the phone out to use it, it was very hot to the touch. After several people handled the phone and all agreed it was excessively hot, we decided to remove the battery. The battery was HOT. We let the battery coold down then reinserted it back into the phone. It did not over heat again. However, the next day my husband and I went to the nearest Verizon store where a sales associate contacted HTC customer service where the call was immediately escalated to mid-tier support. HTC decided to send me a new battery. I received it yesterday and now it is a 'wait and see' proposition.

It sure seems like something was running huh. Screen was off when you pulled it out? The battery issue is weird, I replaced mine the first week I have had it not from overheating but because it wouldn't hold a charge. The new battery has been fine for 3 weeks now.

Last edited by a moderator:

lexygirl

Reaction score
The phone was loosely housed in a see through sleeve to protect the face. There was no reason for the phone to overheat other than a defective battery. I always kill my apps several times a day. Nothing was lit up; nothing unusual at all going on. It was just an oddity that needed attention. I've noticed, already, that the new battery seems to be holding a charge longer. I hope this is a good sign. The phone is cool to the touch when in use, now. I've had no heating issues since the new battery was inserted. Hope this helps.

If you have a case the battery will also get warmer because the case will act like an insulator. The screen and processor use a lot of energy so that will generate a lot of heat as well. Normally my phone never goes above 90F while charging.. unless I am using the phone. This morning it got as warm as 112 while charging, listening to Sirius, and surfing the net. (all screen on as the screen generates a lot of heat)

cp24eva

Reaction score
Only time my battery REALLY got hot was last night when I forgot to turn the camera off and put the phone in my pocket. I was like "WTF is that burning in my pants!!!!!" Was my phone. Funny thing is that it had been like that for 30 minutes. Wasn't fully charged, but only made it down to 82 percent. This was on wifi of course. But the phone was scorching hot!