Battery life??

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
With my first phone, when it started happening, all I did was turn off 2 of the 3 GPS points and it went away for awhile. Then it came back randomly after a week or two, even with GPS settings the same. Also it went away for awhile after last time, then started again today when I played a game that I don't believe uses GPS, but is always running, even on boot. Maybe we can identify a common permission among certain trigger apps. This "Birthday" app seems like a good place to start.

SteveSchweer

Reaction score
I think they're working around the edges of the problem. In the previous version of OS software, I turned all GPS off but the battery monitor graph showed that GPS was still used about every 30 minutes for a brief while. The current software version doesn't do this... You turn it off.. It stays off. Also, I don't think that you have to forego the use of GPS. I have been using Maps and Navigation quite a lot recently and haven't had too many OP System "runaway" problems. I say again, I think this is an Op System bug... There is nothing that we can do about it from the user side of things. We just have to wait till it is recognized and fixed...... Are you listening Google/Samsung/Verizon????

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Well it's definitely not GPS nor is it app or permission specific. Did some MORE experimenting the last few days. I tried to make each day as identical as possible. Thursday I opened an online/MMOish app called Blood Brothers around 65% and after I closed it I noticed Android System was up from 4% to 20% and battery was about 53%. So I thought that might be it. Checked permissions of this app and others. Waited a day, trying other things to get rid of it. Reboots or battery pulls don't work for me. The only thing that does is draining it till it turns off, then charging to 100%. So I did this that night. Sure enough it was gone the next day (yesterday). Only thing I changed was turning on all 3 of the GPS instead of just 1, so I opened Blood Brothers around 65%, played about the same amount, maybe longer, closed it, checked Gsam, Android System is at 4.2%, battery is at 62%. Damnit! Another two possible links shattered. So I ended up playing a bunch of games last night with those 3 GPS's on, did some internet surfing on 3 different browsers....nothing. Here were my stats at the end of the night, prepare to be amazed...

View attachment 57639 View attachment 57640

That's right. 16 hours on, almost 2 hours of screen use, probably 40ish minutes of which was games, and 20-30 browser. That is undoubtedly pushing heavy usage, and I'm only at 50%. Any other phone or with Android System acting up I'd probably be at 20%, at most. I think these two screens are plenty of proof the battery in this thing has potential to be amazing. Total War and Heroes call are at the top of that list, which are easily huge games and mega drainers. I also use a live wallpaper on my home and lock screen.

Last edited:

rjeatkrconley

Reaction score
Not sure if this has already been discussed, if so, my apologies. A guy I go to school with has the sg3 and has also been having battery issues. If I remember correctly, he is on AT&T. He had read on another forum that there is a wifi setting that needs to be changed. There is a setting for the wifi going to sleep when the phone goes to sleep. Change the setting to never. He claims that his battery life has been much better. Hope this helps. If more info is needed, I can ask him Monday night at school.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Not sure if this has already been discussed, if so, my apologies. A guy I go to school with has the sg3 and has also been having battery issues. If I remember correctly, he is on AT&T. He had read on another forum that there is a wifi setting that needs to be changed. There is a setting for the wifi going to sleep when the phone goes to sleep. Change the setting to never. He claims that his battery life has been much better. Hope this helps. If more info is needed, I can ask him Monday night at school.

Hm, I can see that. Even though I thought I turned it off awhile ago it was in fact on. So I'll try it tonight and tomorrow and then update.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Bam. Ever since turning it on Never a few days ago, android system hasn't passed 7%, usually staying around 4.5ish.

Hope this works for others too.

NOVICE

Reaction score
I purchased 2 extra batteries and external charger. Run the phone heavy all day and very seldom need to change out battery. By far the best phone I ever had--not even close.

jwilly216

Reaction score
rjeatkrconley said:

Can any one else confirm this?

Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep?
Default setting is always

alboboy10

Reaction score
I can't get my WiFi to connect. It keeps saying low signal

Mike8016

Reaction score
Mines prettty good
de7usare.jpg

e3uje6ep.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Well everythings been tried by everyone with this issue and it seems the only thing that made a difference was a factory data reset. Some had to do 2 or 3.

Mike's is what it should look like. That's what mine was like before the JB update. Now it sucks. I miss ICS....

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Well this thread pretty much covers it all so browse through there, but more likely than not you'll have to do at least 1 FDR.