Battery life

joncann

Reaction score
When I first rooted my pnone using the original OS I froze all the bloat and got droid overclock and more than tripled my battery life. After flashed liberty I have seen a marked decrease in battery life. I've disabled all sync. Any suggestions?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
When I first rooted my pnone using the original OS I froze all the bloat and got droid overclock and more than tripled my battery life. After flashed liberty I have seen a marked decrease in battery life. I've disabled all sync. Any suggestions?

How often do you use your Wifi?

OP
joncann

joncann

Reaction score
Never. Actually that's a problem I've had ever since ig to the phone even before rooting is my wifi is perilously slow. 3G is faster.

jediman

Reaction score
I've also noticed a decrease in wifi speeds with 1.5. Not sure what's up with that but hopefully it gets fixed.

Check out the sysctl thread here in this forum and use those mods. That has seriously increased my battery life. After a few calls, emails/texts and light surfing, at the end of a 9-12 hour work day my phone is usually only down to 70 percent. I could usually watch a total of 4 hours of video before even getting down to 40-50% (tried that out on a recent trip out to Utah).

Also may want to go into the boot loader and clear your battery cache so it can reset and relearn.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Some generic battery saving tips:

[FONT=&quot]Here's my tips (Individual items may not apply your phone):[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. Go to settings/wireless & networks/mobile networks/Enable always-on data. Uncheck always on data. Your phone will still receive email, text, & phone calls as before as well as internet usage but your battery will last a lot longer.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. Emails: I don't know what email app you use, but try this. It saves battery power and in some cases emails arrive quicker. This scheme will have you using only the Gmail app on the phone for all email accounts whether they are pop3 accounts or Gmail. Go to the Google Gmail inbox on your computer and log into the Gmail account. On the top right of the screen is an option called Settings. In there is an option to have the Gmail program poll your regular, non-Gmail accounts (From the inbox; Settings/Accounts & Import/ Check mail using POP3). Provide the email address and the password. The Google Gmail program will then poll your other accounts on a frequency from 1-5 minutes and push the email immediately to your phone. The polling frequency is determined by each account's activity - more emails = faster polling. This saves battery power because on the android OS pop3 accounts are polled at a frequency of 1-30 minutes and that really eats battery. Because the phone goes and checks those accounts for mail whether there is mail there or not.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. If you are using Live Wall Papers, stop![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. Use wifi any time it is available. It uses a lot less power than 3G and it is much faster.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. If there are widgets that automatically update (facebook, weather, etc.) change their update frequency in their settings menu. Set them to 30mins or 1 hour.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. Oh, almost forgot, get the extended battery from Verizon.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7. Turn off the GPS unless you are actually using it. There are some background apps that can burn a lot of power via a live gps.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8. The Power Control Widget is a good tool for easily turning on and off some of these features (gps, wifi, screen brightness, etc.).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9. From the home screen do the following: menu/settings/About Phone/Battery Use. This graph will show the 10 biggest power users on the phone. It should always be Screen as the top user and the android os, android system, phone standby and phone idle should be the other top users. If there is an app listed you should determine if it’s an app you actually use a lot or do you have a rogue app that needs to be uninstalled.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10. Get Screebl. It will turn your phone off anytime you are not actively using it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11. If you have either a task killer or an anti-virus app installed, you should uninstall.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12. Go to data>system>and delete batterystats.bin after you've charged your phone to 100%. This will help with battery meter accuracy.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]13. D2G - go in to settings, wireless and networks, mobile network and change the network type from global to CDMA only. The d2g is locked out from using the local GSM networks in the US. You don't need global radio turned on in the US just overseas. Go into Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Network Mode > and turn off the default setting of Global and turn on CDMA. This assumes you are in the US.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]14. If you have ad blocker, turn it off.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]15. If you are using Launcher Pro, try switching to ADW or Zeam for a while.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]16. Reboot you phone every day or two.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

OP
joncann

joncann

Reaction score
Flyfisher you are the man. I never expected to get such a comprhensive list. Thank you! You have been a great help

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Definitely a good list, BayouFlyFisher. I'd have to agree with almost all that. Even about LauncherPro. It was fine on stock, then on Liberty 1.0, but once I went to Liberty 1.5 it went nuts and consumed so much CPU usage and battery drain I had to uninstall it, wipe it off my SDcard and any trace of it. Installed it again from the Market just to see if it took care of the problem but it persisted on a fresh install. Uninstalled again and went to ADW EX and everything is back to normal.

maxnicks

Reaction score
Thanks BayouFlyFisher. That's an excellent common sense approach to conserving battery life. I had an OG Droid forever and just switched to the D2. Pretty darn pleased with everything.

Sent from my AI

Aequitas

Reaction score
Definitely a good list, BayouFlyFisher. I'd have to agree with almost all that. Even about LauncherPro. It was fine on stock, then on Liberty 1.0, but once I went to Liberty 1.5 it went nuts and consumed so much CPU usage and battery drain I had to uninstall it, wipe it off my SDcard and any trace of it. Installed it again from the Market just to see if it took care of the problem but it persisted on a fresh install. Uninstalled again and went to ADW EX and everything is back to normal.

Was using Launcher pro and went back to ADW and cant stand the laggyness of it as well as a few other things, is EX any smoother or are they both choppy? Noticed a huge improvement with Launcher Pro... not sure if its worth the battery saved?

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Great list man. I second that i agree with the whole list. Some people wouldnt take the time to type out the list but you did tho.

Cwagmire

Reaction score
Looks like a great list but I have a question about the batterystats.bin. Is it safe to do so? Seems odd to delete files like that.

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well it seems safe to me. I do it every time i flash a back up file or new rom. I also do it once my battery has a 100% charge. Just read it help a while back and i have done it ever since

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score

Was using Launcher pro and went back to ADW and cant stand the laggyness of it as well as a few other things, is EX any smoother or are they both choppy? Noticed a huge improvement with Launcher Pro... not sure if its worth the battery saved?

I have the ADW EX, not the regular ADW. It's running fine and smooth. Not too clear with what's wrong with LauncherPro paid version.

leakim13

Reaction score
Launcher pro paid is totally dragging, so annoying

Living Free, hopefully not Dying.

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have been using LP+ for about two months and its not dragging for me. I hope the problem gets solved tho