Battery life on MIUI

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I fail to see how asking someone to elaborate on their claims as going south or touching nerves. I suppose I am used to an open rapport and scrutiny of a claim. Sorry if others are not.

sent from a rogue droid

sparty569

Reaction score
How do you wipe the battery stats? I am in the process of draining my phone so that I can do this:
full dead
charged to 100%
boot to recovery while plugged in
wiped stats
reboot to full on
unplugged from charger

But I dont know how to wipe the battery stats. I use SPRecovery if that helps.

Z

ZeroBarrier

SPRecovery doesn't have that option, ClockworkMod Recovery does. You can also just delete the files using Root Explorer, ADB or Terminal Emulator (/data/system/batterystats.bin), then reboot.

sparty569

Reaction score
SPRecovery doesn't have that option, ClockworkMod Recovery does. You can also just delete the files using Root Explorer, ADB or Terminal Emulator (/data/system/batterystats.bin), then reboot.

Cool, I appreciate the help. So then, when should I clear my stats? After charging to 100% and before I unplug my phone?

Also, were the steps I posted the correct steps?

Last edited:
Z

ZeroBarrier

Don't have to go to full dead before clearing stats.

Charge 100%
Delete /data/system/batterystats.bin
Reboot
Unplug
Let battery life die off and shut down on it's own
Plug in to charge (phone will boot up by itself once plugged in)
Charge 100%
Unplug
Charge 100%
Unplug
Use as Normal

Thing to remember is next time you flash a ROM or just an update to MIUI, try to flash once the battery is @ 100%. This will eliminate the need to recalibrate upon flashing a ROM. Also remember to recharge often even when not needed, Li-ion batteries do better when charged as often as possible as opposed to NiCd batteries.

sparty569

Reaction score
Don't have to go to full dead before clearing stats.

Charge 100%
Delete /data/system/batterystats.bin
Reboot
Unplug
Charge 100%
Unplug
Charge 100%
Unplug
Use as Normal

Thing to remember is next time you flash a ROM or just an update to MIUI, try to flash once the battery is @ 100%. This will eliminate the need to recalibrate upon flashing a ROM. Also remember to recharge often even when not needed, Li-ion batteries do better when charged as often as possible as opposed to NiCd batteries.

Thanks for the steps. I always charge my phone, every night and sometimes when I am just playing on my netbook.

PickYourKing

Reaction score
Now I will admit that this is with very moderate use. Bits of Texts, email, phone calls, TweetDeck, Youtube, Music, etc.

But this is 26 hours and I've got 40% left, I'm running T-D1-MIUI v6.2 with the stock kernel, no set cpu.

Maybe my phone is just having a good day.

cap201011032058.jpg

ipadl

Reaction score
Wow. Over a day? That's incredible.

My battery life is getting better, actually. I've been trying to allow the phone to go from completely 100% to 0% without charging in the middle. I'm on my third full charge/discharge cycle after clearing the bat stats. I think that this is helping, and it may be a calibration issue. That said, I don't think the bat life is as good as other ROMs for my device. That's a huge bummer for me. :)

Seth

Z

ZeroBarrier

Wow. Over a day? That's incredible.

My battery life is getting better, actually. I've been trying to allow the phone to go from completely 100% to 0% without charging in the middle. I'm on my third full charge/discharge cycle after clearing the bat stats. I think that this is helping, and it may be a calibration issue. That said, I don't think the bat life is as good as other ROMs for my device. That's a huge bummer for me. :)

Seth

Do not do the charge/full discharge cycle too often. Li-ion batteries do not work well if fully discharged too often, and they do not suffer from the "memory effect" that NiCd batteries do.

BostonDroid

Reaction score
One thing that might make me get rid of this rom is the battery life. I'm at 40% right now and the phone was taken off the charger around 7am this morning. This is all with normal use...I used to be able to come home at 8pm and still have 50%. Maybe I should be looking into buying a new battery since I've had this one day one droid came out...

Keep us posted if you do, I'm in the same boat as you: Old droid, bad battery life, Not quite sure it's MIUI

I just bought one on amazon for 6 bucks...will post back with resukts in few days.

JLangevin

Reaction score
One thing that might make me get rid of this rom is the battery life. I'm at 40% right now and the phone was taken off the charger around 7am this morning. This is all with normal use...I used to be able to come home at 8pm and still have 50%. Maybe I should be looking into buying a new battery since I've had this one day one droid came out...

Keep us posted if you do, I'm in the same boat as you: Old droid, bad battery life, Not quite sure it's MIUI

I just bought one on amazon for 6 bucks...will post back with resukts in few days.

I would be careful using cheap, no name batteries (If this is a no name that is) - Cheap cells that fail can cause serious issues in handsets, including fire, burns and failure of the phone.

Remember the exploding phones in the past? Caused by faulty cells... usually when it comes to batteries, you get what you pay for, so just be careful.

OP
o Fi1thy

o Fi1thy

Reaction score
The big thing ive noticed is that whenever I do about a half hour of browsing/texting making a 2 minute phone call. Pretty much med-heavy usage for an 30 min. My battery plummeted from 70%-to 5% in that span.

Odd thing was at 5% that I made a call that wasnt answered. sent about 20 texts. checked facebook and checked xbox live app. and it didnt die. stayed at 5% for a long while, about another hour. Just got home and put it on the charger.

Jrizzill

Developer
Reaction score
The big thing ive noticed is that whenever I do about a half hour of browsing/texting making a 2 minute phone call. Pretty much med-heavy usage for an 30 min. My battery plummeted from 70%-to 5% in that span.

Odd thing was at 5% that I made a call that wasnt answered. sent about 20 texts. checked facebook and checked xbox live app. and it didnt die. stayed at 5% for a long while, about another hour. Just got home and put it on the charger.

Yea I was drunk a couple nights ago and my girlfriend and I got in a verbal disagreement, so she made me get out of the car in some random part of town and made me walk. Looked at my phone like sh*t! -- I was at 5% battery. Needless to say, I called and text just about everyone who's important in my phone book... even made a couple Twitter and Facebook status updates... all just trying to get a ride, but nobody wanted to come pick my drunk azz up at 4am, so I walked the whole way. Took me about 3 hours to get home and my battery stayed on 5% the entire time -- even after HEAVY use. The moral of the story is: girlfriends lie, phones lie, trust your instincts.

Last edited:
OP
o Fi1thy

o Fi1thy

Reaction score

Yea I was drunk a couple nights ago and my girlfriend and I got in a verbal disagreement, so she made me get out of the car in some random part of town and made me walk. Looked at my phone like sh*t! -- I was at 5% battery. Needless to say, I called and text just about everyone who's important in my phone book... even made a couple Twitter and Facebook status updates... all just trying to get a ride, but nobody wanted to come pick my drunk azz up at 4am, so I walked the whole way. Took me about 3 hours to get home and my battery stayed on 5% the entire time -- even after HEAVY use. The moral of the story is: girlfriends lie, phones lie, trust your instincts.

This my favorite post of all time. You are now my hero Jrizzill
:hail::hail:

ipadl

Reaction score
As I had said in a previous post, I continue to get better battery life on 6.3 (haven't tried 6.4 yet). Today, even with streaming Pandora for 4-5 hours, some bluetooth calls, email, web browsing, etc., I ended up with 14+ hours of battery life.

I think that I was too quick to think that the battery life was crap without giving it a full 2 charge/discharge cycles. I would give it 1 or give up when I hit 5%on the second discharge thinking that it was already out of battery, but I'm now a believer that a good battery calibration is key. Thanks for the help and suggestions guys, I'm sure loving this ROM.

Seth