MIUI v5 battery life?

ipadl

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have read a few threads relating to this, but thought that I would check to see if anybody else has had any thoughts or experience about this topic. I switched over from Chevy's SS4.8 a few days ago and have noticed that my battery life is roughly 1/2 of what it used to be. My use patterns are as follows:

1. Usually have bluetooth paired
2. Push email from Corporate Exchange, 2 Gmail accounts
3. Call infrequently on cell
4. Wifi always turned off
5. Listen to podcasts (stored locally) about 1:20 per day during commute
6. Infrequent download of apps or other data
7. Infrequent streaming of pandora

With SS 4.8, I could make a whole day on a single charge. If I talked more on the phone than usual, I would throw it on the dock at my desk.

With MIUI, I can barely make it to 2:00pm with less use (no bluetooth paired, 1/2 of the podcasting). I took the advice of a different thread and wiped my battery stats in recovery, charged to full, completely discharged, and it seemed to be better, but still not good.

In addition, the phone is warmer than normal. I have tried a bunch of different kernals from ChevyNo1's old stock and am currently on the 800Mhz kernal. Runs well, but warm and wastes the battery.

Any thoughts or similar experience? What kernals are you guys using that are working well? Next step is going to be to wipe everything, not load any email, and check with this and perhaps another kernal. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated. Aside from battery life (and missing tun.ko), this is an awesome ROM.

Thanks,

Seth

ebruot

Reaction score
i'm running a Slayher v1.6 800 kernal and my phone runs cool and the battery life is "almost" as good as what I was getting on SS 4.8. I take my phone off the dock at 4:30am have bluetooth on playing music for 8 hours a day and when i put the phone on the dock around 11:30pm for the night I usually have 20-30% battery left. On SS4.8 i usually had around 30-40%.

JLangevin

Reaction score
My battery life also went to hell with v5... I honestly am afraid to unplug it when sitting at my desk at work, but figured that I could live with it the way it is...

The thing that concerns me most is that my phone will be at 100% when going to bed, and when I wake up, Im sitting at 30% or so...

So the other night, I wanted to see what was using the most of the battery. I rebooted the phone, immediately turned off the screen and went to bed.. sure enough I woke up with 20% battery left.. turns out that the Phone Idle process was using over 60% of the battery usage. This doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me.

I use my phone as my alarm clock and one morning, it never went off. Fortunately I didnt oversleep by more than 10 minutes... when I went to wakt up my phone, it was completely dead.

Edit: Oh, and if I play Angry Birds for more than 20min, i lose over 50% of my battery.

I am using the 250-1250 P3 Droid Standard volt kernel (used this with my Sapphire roms with AMAZING battery life) and have a SetCPU profile to reduce the phone to 250mhz when the screen is off and not plugged in.

I have my fingers crossed that there will some sort of address to the battery issue in this 10.29 release...

eggsped

Reaction score
Angry Birds kills my battery too. I assumed it was the program and not MIUI. I'll leave mine out of the charger tonight and see where it's sitting in the AM.

JLangevin

Reaction score
Be sure to make sure the phone is 100% and to reboot it before you go to sleep. This way you can see excatly what is eating the battery when idle.

PickYourKing

Reaction score
My battery life with v5 has been pretty great, but since chevy's newer kernels don't work with this rom i've been using the stock kernel that comes with it.

I took it off the charger at about noon yesterday and was out and about until about 4am and I had 40% still. This is with moderate use - some GPS, some music, constant SMS, TweetDeck, a few calls, a bunch of emails, and some WordFeud. When I first started using MIUI which was around the late version 2's, early version 3's my battery life was horrible, but it seems to get better with every update.

Can't get enough of this Rom, cant wait for the new update!

JLangevin

Reaction score
The only issue I had with the stock rom compared to the P3 which I am running now is that with the stock rom always defaulting to 600mhz and having to deal with the CPU button, my phones transition between the home screens was quite choppy and laggy... I do not run vary many apps, and have mostly everything in folders. The only widget I run is the Beautiful Widgets Small Home.

If the phone didnt reset the 200mhz underclock in the status bar, i would have kept that kernel.

Perhaps its time to mess around with various kernels again.

Armyof2

Reaction score
Slayer 1.6 lv 1ghz and set cpu profiles keep me close to what i had with my sapphire build...angry birds usually kills my battery but with MY normal use i'm still getting fantastic life

killjoylm1

Reaction score
Try uninstalling setCPU and see if that helps. The OS does a good job of managing your battery. I'm using Slayher's 1100mhz + compcache and my bat lasts all day with moderate usage and no setCPU.

JLangevin

Reaction score
Can I get a link to the Slayher kernels? i cant seem to find it. Ill give it a shot with that kernel and uninstalling SetCPU... it might a case where both programs are fighting for control of the throttling or managment of the batterym causing an issue.

OP
I

ipadl

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I loaded Slayher's 800 MHz kernel and am charging now. I'm hoping that this or maybe one of P3s will solve my problems.

Thanks!

Seth

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
fyi chevy's older kernels work with miui v5.

My battery life is not as good as I recall with other ROMs Ive used, but its not horrible. I use setcpu and recently installed chevy 1.0ghz lv kernel and

I used phone a bit today (not to mention 30 percent of the time my phone searches for signal inside my work building), and I have 10 hr 23 minutes and I have 50 percent left.

Overclocked using setcpu to 1000mhz. profiles set to save battery while screen is off.

tlpalmer01

Reaction score
i'm running a Slayher v1.6 800 kernal and my phone runs cool and the battery life is "almost" as good as what I was getting on SS 4.8. I take my phone off the dock at 4:30am have bluetooth on playing music for 8 hours a day and when i put the phone on the dock around 11:30pm for the night I usually have 20-30% battery left. On SS4.8 i usually had around 30-40%.

thanks for your advice, i am running same now and my phone is a heck of alot cooler and my battery i have already noticed a difference.....

Ozzie

Reaction score
Try uninstalling setCPU and see if that helps. The OS does a good job of managing your battery. I'm using Slayher's 1100mhz + compcache and my bat lasts all day with moderate usage and no setCPU.

Please humor me here...I'm looking into this, uninstalled setcpu, and am looking into compcache and am not finding it. Is it native to this rom?
I'm not seeing performance settings yet...