Battery life after maps update.

cb7junkie

Reaction score
Ok guys, I have noticed a serious drop in my battery life since I got the new maps update. I'm talking its only been 4 hours since full charge and I'm at 20%. I'm not using it any more than usual. Not rooted. Anyone having this issue and how can I fix it?

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

OP
C

cb7junkie

Reaction score
Anything guys????

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Turn off your gps?

I don’t know. I've got the update on ny Droid and have seen absolutely no change in battery life.

Good luck.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
C

cb7junkie

Reaction score
Gps is off. It may not be the update then. That's just when I noticed it. Does anything else cause this?

Thanks BTW.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it has something to do with the offline caching? Yesterday I was reading on one of the Google dev blogs that their algorithm to figure out what to cache is still a bit rough around the edges and will be improved over time.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Go into settings and check battery usage. It will show the top consumers of power.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
C

cb7junkie

Reaction score
Dave, you could be right.

Usage:
Android system: 42%
Cell standby: 23%
Display: 15%
Phone idle: 14%
Internet: 4%
Media server: 2%

Does any of this sound out of the ordinary?

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
cb, try turning on wifi. It may help your battery usage. None of your stats look totally out of whack. If that doesn't help, check your apps. You might have one that's been consuming more than its fair share of power.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Usage:

On my phone, I've never seen android sys consume more power than the Display (IIRC).

If this was my phone, I'd uninstall Gmaps and see what the impact is on the battery. After I had a grip on that, I'd reinstall Gmaps5 and see if it straightens out.

You may have a factory hard reset in your future. :icon_evil:

Last edited:
OP
C

cb7junkie

Reaction score
Defiantly not what I wanna hear...... lol.

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Might be the easiest way to deal with the problem. You'll lose text messages but if your contacts are stored as google contacts and pics are on your SD card you won't lose anything else. Apps can be restored from Market, and you can use an app like SMS Backup to save your text messages to gmail if you so choose before the reset.

OP
C

cb7junkie

Reaction score
Ok, so how do I go about doing a hard reboot?

OP
C

cb7junkie

Reaction score
And how do I move my apps to my SD card?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Usage:

Media server .
Something is using it or else you've been watching a lot of videos,a huge battery drain.
A couple of weeks ago my battery suddenly started dropping super fast when my habits hadn't changed. Media server started showing up as a top 4 user.I deleted Power Amp music player because it kept deleting my playlists on it and stock player, it went back to normal, battery life back to normal

Support Our Troops!! UltraKeyboarded from a wifi monolith.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok, so how do I go about doing a hard reboot?

Don't move your apps to sd. The paid apps will reload automatically and you can reinstall the unpaid apps if they don't install.

Then: Power down the Droid.

[FONT=&quot]With your Motorola Droid still powered "Off," slide open the keyboard.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Press and hold the "X" button on the keyboard while pressing the "[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Power[/FONT][FONT=&quot]/Unlock" button, located next to the 3.5mm headphone jack. Continue holding down the buttons until a yellow triangle "Warning Sign" appears on the screen.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Once the yellow warning sign appears, press the physical "Volume UP" and "Camera" buttons simultaneously until a new menu appears. This may take several attempts before success.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]From the new menu that appears on-screen, go down to the "wipe data/factory reset" option using the Directional-Pad next to the keyboard, and press the "Center" button on the D-Pad to confirm.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Scroll down to the "Yes -- delete all user data" and press the "Center" button on the D-Pad once more. That's it! When your Motorola Droid is done wiping all saved applications, information, and settings, your device will be back to the factory settings.[/FONT]

Good luck.