Battery icon not representing actual charge?

aramos87

Reaction score
I just got my Bionic yesterday and let it die then charged it fully before bed.. and I'm noticing that the battery icon in the upper right corner is not representing what it says the charge is at in the battery manager... it shows the battery a bit more than half full on icon but says 50% on battery manager... the same was the case when the icon showed 100% full but was only 90% full in battery manager? Anyone else notice this issue?

I know with my Droid 3 it was dead on.. full was 100%, 1 tick off that represented 90-80 two ticks off was 70-60 and half was 50-40 and so on and so on... just curious if this is how it is on this phone considering its the same software?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

JimmyGT

Reaction score
I have the same issue. Also the battery meter only shows the charge in increments of 10. Who thought this was a good idea? I downloaded Circle Battery widget which measures in 1% increments and also appears to be more accurate.

OP
aramos87

aramos87

Reaction score
I'm wondering if I fully charge it then factory reset it w a full battery if that would fix the stats/icon issue.. I'm gonna try it.. I'll post if it works or not.

phoenixus

Reaction score
I think the ICON goes by this:

if your actual charge is say, 45%, the Icon shows 50%

once it hits say, 38%, the icon changes to 40% remaining

OP
aramos87

aramos87

Reaction score
Yeah thats how it but when my battery is at 50% it shows the 70%-60% battery level icon... even after a factory reset...

cwoms167

Reaction score
My old one did the same thing I took it back thinking it was just the phone but it looks to be doing it on this one as well...severe software glitch...let me know if that factory reset fixes it

AndyMcDroid

Reaction score
I have the same problem here, and had it on my OG Droid as well. The battery icon in the notification bar overstates the current charge level. In some cases it appears to be off by 20% (of a full charge), so when the icon shows 50% (at least it looks that way to me), the actual charge level is 30%.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not sure I'm looking at this right, but I extracted the files from the framework resource file on the phone and it appears that the battery icon is only displayed in 20% increments. The icon for "100%" has a green area that is 30 pixels wide. Here's what I found for all of the battery icons:

100% --> 30 pixels shaded
80% --> 24 pixels shaded
60% --> 19 pixels shaded (should be 18, to be scaled properly)
40% --> 13 pixels shaded (should be 12, to be scaled properly)
20% --> 7 pixels shaded (should be 6, to be scaled properly - color is now orange)
0% --> 1 pixel shaded (but it's the red outline)

It's sad that they can't give us 5 more icons to improve the precision, or even scale them properly.

OP
aramos87

aramos87

Reaction score
Yeah the factory reset didn't fix it... I got a new one just now and it appears to be the same way... and the display phone in the Verizon store was the same way... it seems its the software and icons they gave use for it... pretty crappy IMO!!

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

Goddesslisa

Reaction score
I know I'm late on responding but I have the same issue with my Bionic, where the icon is at like 90% and the meter shows 70% or its at 70 and the meter shows 40% its not like its off a little bit its off a lot! Wondering has anyone found any more info on this. I just got the phone Thursday. Also I noticed that with doing very little with it, during the day with being at work the battery when i got home was 80% the FIRST DAY! And the icon and meter matched Since then its dropped down to about 50% by the time I get home. I do charge it every night so it starts off each morning with a fresh 100% charge. Now I am also aware that I have prob about 200+ aps on there so maybe it has something to do with that. I hate the idea of taking it back, but if it must be done so be it. Any imput would be great! Thanks!!!

tbell6

Reaction score
Fully charge your battery then restart your Bionic.

If you are rooted, get Battery Calibrater app.

tbell6

Reaction score
I suspect there is reason you're supposed to fully charge battery before first use. The litium ion batteries don't have memory problems of older types. I suspect Bionic captures voltage level in at start up, if you "trick it" starting with battery at some lower % then you get the descrepency.

Goddesslisa

Reaction score
I'm not rooted, I don't know anything about rooting and really would be to scared to do it for now.
I did right away charge my phone to 100% before even activating it. I will do it again, it still doesnt explain the fantastic battery the first day and then the drop in charge the second and so forth days. I am aware that the litium ion batteries dont have the memory problems.
Please let me know any other ideas, I still will charge to 100% and try it out that. However if that becomes an every time i charge which is everyday. That will not be a pleasant experience.
I love the phone other than this issue.

missrachel

Reaction score
My Bionic does the same thing, and I've read of similar experiences on other forums. I would recommend downloading Circle Battery Widget (free from the market) and using it to determine your battery life. It shows your battery percentage remaining in 1% increments from a widget on the home screen. Very useful and customizable (not to mention accurate). Also if you click the widget you can navigate directly to your battery info and usage. :)