Battery dying quickly? Check Battery stats.. MEDIA process may be the culprit

mastervader

Reaction score
I noticed that under battery usage statistics, I had 3 processes taking up most of my battery
Phone Idle, Cell standby and MEDIA
After days of troubleshooting, I discover that MEDIA was the one killing my battery within 5 hours with little usage.
After researching the problem, I realized that MEDIA was causing the phone to constantly scan my microsd card.
WHen I got my Bionic, I transfered my microsd from my Thunderbolt to the Bionic. The card had many video and music files, and the process MEDIA has a sub process call DRM that is causing the CPU to be on constantly searching my media files on the microSD card.
The easist way to fix it is to FORMAT YOUR MICROSD under storage settings on your phone.
After doig so, do not add any files to your card. Keep an eye on battery usage. MEDIA should no longer be using CPU time
If this does not help, do the following after formatting the card.
Go to settings > applications > manage applications > all > MEDIA STORAGE and CLEAR DATA.
Reboot the phone.
This should clear the problem. Now you can start putting your files back on the microsd.
I only added my pictures back to the card, and have not added music or videos as I am afraid the problem will come back.
If you are still having a problem with MEDIA after my suggestions, take out your SD completely and reboot the phone. See if that resolves the problem.
Please reply to this thread if you have this problem, so I can have some examples to bring up to verizon/moto regarding this
Thanks

gsDroid

Reaction score
I think your problem was using the old Thunderbolt microsd card. I have all my music, pictures, and video on the microsd and don't even have Media running in task manager. I copied my original Droid music, pics and vids files to my pc and copied from my pc through the usb cable to the Bionic microsd card. No way I want those files in internal memory.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Not sure why the SD card would be the problem? I'm still using the one from my OG Droid! Also used it in my DX for 8 months.