Battery draining faster than it used to.

Kmoenck

Reaction score
I have had my razr maxx for about 3 months now. I used to be able to go a couple days without charging it with normal use. No i have to charge it daily. Any suggestions as to why this is happening or how to fix it?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
This could be due to any one or combination of several things. First thing I would suggest is doing a battery meter training. I am going to move this post to the Battery subforum but a permanent link will remain here so you can find it. Our great community will assist you with the battery meter training and then begin to troubleshoot any applications or phone features that may be using excessive power as well.

OP
K

Kmoenck

Reaction score
Thanks. I know nothing about the technical aspect of the phone so I'm gunna need people to talk dummy language and walk me step by step :) i did just change my network setting to lte/cdma. Don't know how to do the battery meter training.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
No problem. First, if you're like most people you probably always charge your phone with the power on. This is not a bad thing, per se', but over time it causes the phone to lose track of what the actual battery capacity is and where the voltages are at full and empty. This results in the phone seemingly running out of charge in an unusually short period of time. It has nothing to do with the battery and everything to do with the meter (hence the name "meter training").

To remedy the situation, at the next opportunity when your phone can be powered off for about 6 hours, we're going to do a "power off" charge to 100%.

First, press and hold the power button for about 3-4 seconds. At the menu which pops up select "Power off". One fully powered down, then place the phone on the charger with the stock charger and stock cable. Allow the phone to self-start and eventually it will sore a large battery icon and a percentage of charge. To check battery levels during the charging process tap either volume button briefly. Once the battery reaches 100%, take it off charge and power it up normally. Now use it as you normally do but watch the meter and once the phone reaches 15% and signals "Low battery", power the phone off and repeat the process above. Once charged fully the second time, the meter is properly calibrated to the battery and you won't get false readings.

If the problem with poor battery continues, then the cause is likely software or service related.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Great. If you don't see an improvement in 2 days (it takes 2 days or so to get through the training charges), then we'll start to look at various settings and also what may be running in the background that could be causing excessive battery drain.

I've had my MAXX for over half a year now and still get stellar battery life daily. I often am able to charge every other day rather than every day.

OP
K

Kmoenck

Reaction score
Ok! I am going to do it this weekend because i use my phone for my alarm clock! Ill post as soon as its all finished. Thank you for the advice!

AirJunky

Reaction score
Assuming your in the US...... Try going into System Settings, More, Mobile Networks, Network Mode. Select the LTE/CDMA mode. Battery life should improve dramatically.

OP
K

Kmoenck

Reaction score
I did that yesterday and im pretty sure it seems to be helping!! Fingers crossed!

OP
K

Kmoenck

Reaction score
Phone battery lasts about 2 days with normal use!! Thanks for your help!!!

bswnyca

Reaction score
Assuming your in the US...... Try going into System Settings, More, Mobile Networks, Network Mode. Select the LTE/CDMA mode. Battery life should improve dramatically.

Thank you! have no idea why the default is global. Hopeful I'll see some improvement too