Battery Dies after about half a day

cjb5327

Reaction score
So, I've had my DROID X since it came out and I know a lot about it through numerous problems that occurred. I'm beginning to think that my battery may be wearing down because after it charges to %100 it wont even get me through the day like it normally use to. I just started to notice this a week ago and it never acted like this before. I manage my Apps very closely and and keep the data refresh prolonged. Before, my data refresh rate was fine at every 15minutes for email and facebook etc. and it would last me all day into the night. I Tried changing the refresh rate to 60 minutes and it still would die half way through. I do have advanced task killer to kill all apps when phone display is off. I know using the phone during the day definitely kills the battery but its dying while the screen is off. I know this is a lot of information, but I just wanted to say everything I do....SO, maybe it is the battery??

Thanks,
Chris

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Here's my tips (Individual items may not apply your phone):[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. Go to settings/wireless & networks/mobile networks/Enable always-on data. Un-check always on data. Your phone will still receive email, text, & phone calls as before as well as internet usage but your battery will last a lot longer.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. Emails: I don't know what email app you use, but try this. It saves battery power and in some cases emails arrive quicker. This scheme will have you using only the Gmail app on the phone for all email accounts whether they are pop3 accounts or Gmail. Go to the Google Gmail inbox on your computer and log into the Gmail account. On the top right of the screen is an option called Settings. In there is an option to have the Gmail program poll your regular, non-Gmail accounts (From the inbox; Settings/Accounts & Import/ Check mail using POP3). Provide the email address and the password. The Google Gmail program will then poll your other accounts on a frequency from 1-5 minutes and push the email immediately to your phone. The polling frequency is determined by each account's activity - more emails = faster polling. This saves battery power because on the android OS pop3 accounts are polled at a frequency of 1-30 minutes and that really eats battery. Because the phone goes and checks those accounts for mail whether there is mail there or not.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. If you are using Live Wall Papers, stop![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. Use wifi any time it is available. It uses a lot less power than 3G and it is much faster.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. If there are widgets that automatically update (facebook, weather, etc.) change their update frequency in their settings menu. Set them to 30mins or 1 hour. Or, [/FONT]"Get rid of widgets that update automatically. Add a shortcut to the app instead". It takes just as long for the app to open as it does for it to update.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. Oh, almost forgot, get the extended battery from Verizon.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7. Turn off the GPS unless you are actually using it. There are some background apps that can burn a lot of power via a live gps.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8. The Power Control Widget is a good tool for easily turning on and off some of these features (gps, wifi, screen brightness, etc.).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9. From the home screen do the following: menu/settings/About Phone/Battery Use. This graph will show the 10 biggest power users on the phone. It should always be Screen as the top user and the android os, android system, phone standby and phone idle should be the other top users. If there is an app listed you should determine if it’s an app you actually use a lot or do you have a rogue app that needs to be uninstalled.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10. Get Screebl. It will turn your phone off anytime you are not actively using it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11. If you have either a task killer or an anti-virus app installed, you should uninstall.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Go to data>system>and delete batterystats.bin after you've charged your phone to 100%. You should let your battery deplete completely, then charge it up to 100% again. This will recalibrate your battery for your current setup. It’s a good practice to do this with any new ROM install. If this doesn’t work for you, then it may be time for a new battery. This will help with battery meter accuracy.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]13. D2G - go in to settings, wireless and networks, mobile network and change the network type from global to CDMA only. The d2g is locked out from using the local GSM networks in the US. You don't need global radio turned on in the US just overseas. Go into Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Network Mode > and turn off the default setting of Global and turn on CDMA. This assumes you are in the US.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]14. If you have ad blocker, turn it off.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]15. If you are using Launcher Pro, try switching to ADW or Zeam for a while.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]16. Reboot you phone every day or two.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

schatzy62

Reaction score
I have found that advance task killer really kills my battery quickly. Once removed the battery last A LOT longer well into the 20+ hour range even with over 300 texts, 1-2 hours of talk and 15 minute e-mail fetch for three accounts.

Now that is my experience not only with my personal phone but also with 7 others that I manage for my company.

So my advise is to get rid of the task killer.

OP
C

cjb5327

Reaction score
thanks guys most of what you said (Bayou) is most of my setting but i will def change the ones that i haven not done. Definitely will remove task killer, thanks

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Are you running stock?

skoviak99

Reaction score
Regarding battery dieing

So we have company Droid X's here, we both have had them about a year or so. I have several purchased apps the other has none. On the same day about a week ago both our phones experienced the issue that you are seeing. Where as previously the battery would basically last an entire day, it would now go from complete charge to zero in less then 3 hours with nothing running, and the screen off. What was noticed was that if you looked at the 3G Data transfer icon at the top of the screen you would notice that there was constantly uploading and downloading (low level) of data. Constantly. System Monitor would also confirm the data exchange, between 3 to 10k of data constantly. The battery would get warm/hot and would discharge in 3 hours. Turning of GPS, killing various apps (including System Monitor), trying to identify the app that was getting data, i.e. all the various usual suspects turned up nothing. Both phones, both days. After killing near every app running including system apps I finally gave up and restored the phone using Titanium Pro. (Note that both phones were rooted...) This fixed my phone; my battery is back to lasting all day, and the data exchange associated with the 3G is gone. The other phone, did not have Titanium Pro and so he tried a factory reset and this did not fix his problem. I have not spoken with him this week so don't know if he has found any answer yet.

Natey2

Reaction score
Disable ATK auto kill.
Install JuiceDefender and custom configure for 30 minute (instead of the default 15) data enabling.
Just my $0.02

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

michael101108

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not so sure its a battery problem. My DX just started doing this last week. I'm thinking it could be an app causing it. This started when I updated some of my apps. I have 300+ apps so I'm not sure which 1 could be causing it. My best guess is that it's CK Zombies. It had an update, then for some reason, I had to install the package for it again. It never would finish downloading. In about a 30 minute period of trying to download it over wifi, my battery went from 84% to 29%. I don't use ATK but I used to and it can cause battery drain. It could be the battery but I'm not 100% convinced it is. I have literally locked my screen and then unlocked it and my battery has dropped 7%. This has happened a few times. I guess I will try a replacement battery.