Battery calibration

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
Wiping your battery stats doesn't actually do anything to improve battery life. This comes straight from a google engineer. You don't need to do ANYTHING to "Calibrate" a battery. This is 2012; the OS and hardware take care of that themselves now. Anything else you hear is pure internet speculation gone out of control.

Wiping battery stats doesn't improve battery life, says Google engineer | Android Central

I'm not trying to improve it I'm trying make my phone accurately read my extended battery. I don't want my phone saying 5% when I still have 5 hours left on it.

Sent from my DROID3

Cdjones187

Reaction score
Wiping your battery stats doesn't actually do anything to improve battery life. This comes straight from a google engineer. You don't need to do ANYTHING to "Calibrate" a battery. This is 2012; the OS and hardware take care of that themselves now. Anything else you hear is pure internet speculation gone out of control.

Wiping battery stats doesn't improve battery life, says Google engineer | Android Central

Hard to believe this after owning multiple android devices different extended batteries and flashing roms for the past 3 years. Considering the length of time that I've been doing this, I can say that if you do not calibrate you battery after flashing a new rom or puting in an extended battery, it will not correctly read the battery and in turn cause your phone to die eiher before the battery is actually dead or before the % reaches 0 or like the post above said have it read 5% when it actually means 20%. I've encountered this many time BTW.. Would of been nice to have an explanation of WHY this happens. I also wipe battd not just batterystats.bin. Diane Hackborn is a reputable source of information but she doesn't give reason for current situations.

Last edited:

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I don't know about deleting battery stats, but the discharge/charge procedure I've outlined sure does seem to work for me. See here:

A discharge/charge may be beneficial for calibrating a “smart” battery, but this service only addresses the digital part of the pack and does nothing to improve the electrochemical battery.
Source: How to Prime Batteries - Battery University

In other words, the phone figures out the battery's capacity and current state if you cycle it.

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
Hard to believe this after owning multiple android devices different extended batteries and flashing roms for the past 3 years. Considering the length of time that I've been doing this, I can say that if you do not calibrate you battery after flashing a new rom or puting in an extended battery, it will not correctly read the battery and in turn cause your phone to die eiher before the battery is actually dead or before the % reaches 0 or like the post above said have it read 5% when it actually means 20%. I've encountered this many time BTW.. Would of been nice to have an explanation of WHY this happens. I also wipe battd not just batterystats.bin. Diane Hackborn is a reputable source of information but she doesn't give reason for current situations.

I would suggest you take your questions to the google engineer who posted that.

I think I would rather trust someone who has first-hand knowledge on the matter (the person who works at google on Android) than random people on the internet who offer little more than anecdotal evidence...

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
lol....I like the comment about manufacturers caring about your calibration and whether you have to root or not. Let's be honest....Manufacturers would PREFER your battery to NOT be calibrated....that way they can entice you to buy a new phone, more chargers, or simply another battery.

It's all about profit. Not quality of product, functionality, or ease of use.

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
lol....I like the comment about manufacturers caring about your calibration and whether you have to root or not. Let's be honest....Manufacturers would PREFER your battery to NOT be calibrated....that way they can entice you to buy a new phone, more chargers, or simply another battery.

It's all about profit. Not quality of product, functionality, or ease of use.

Now your getting into tinfoil hat territory.