Battery calibration

DROID11

Reaction score
So I got the extended life battery today and I just wanted to know the best practice for calibration of the battery. I have heard tons of different methods but wasn't sure how well any of them worked necessarily. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

DroidStang

Reaction score
Let it run down as low as you can, like 10 or 15 %, then reboot it, see if even lower, then charge it up, my extended battery might take any where from 5 to 8 hours charge, depends what cord you use, funny the one that comes with it that uses the USB to A/C adapter type, even though you are plugged into outlet, look at phone say method USB, and when you charge plugged into computer, says USB, but if I use my ac cord from 9650 blackberry, it say AC as method of charge, takes 4 hours to get to 100%

ziggy484

Reaction score
Let it run down as low as you can, like 10 or 15 %, then reboot it, see if even lower, then charge it up, my extended battery might take any where from 5 to 8 hours charge, depends what cord you use, funny the one that comes with it that uses the USB to A/C adapter type, even though you are plugged into outlet, look at phone say method USB, and when you charge plugged into computer, says USB, but if I use my ac cord from 9650 blackberry, it say AC as method of charge, takes 4 hours to get to 100%

I just plugged mine in with the usb to ac into wall socket and it says charging ac, not usb

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
I bought an extended battery and was trying to calibrate it. I was trying to find out do you have to have a custom rom or can you be stock????

Sent from my DROID3

Cdjones187

Reaction score
In order to properly calibrate your battery you must be rooted. Doesn't matter if its stock or a different ROM.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
In order to properly calibrate your battery you must be rooted. Doesn't matter if its stock or a different ROM.

I tend to disagree. If you discharge your phone until it shuts off and then charge it all the way without unplugging then it seems to calibrate the phone's understanding of the battery's capacity just fine. I do this once every 2 months but not more often than that.

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn't even have permission to do it if i weren't rooted. I did it with battery calibration by nema. Process was quick is it suppose to be quick?

Sent from my DROID3

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Just follow the procedure I gave you and you'll be good to go. You don't want to run Lithium-based batteries down all the way too often so that's why I do it once every 2 months. The discharge until phone shuts off then charge all the way without unplugging procedure should be done after an OS update, after a factory reset, and when you get a new phone or change batteries.

On a side note, dial *22899 every month to update PRLs. These two things are pretty much the only maintenance I do on my Droid 3.

Cdjones187

Reaction score
Like I said, in order to PROPERLY calibrate your battery you do need to be rooted. Doing your method takes a while for the battery stats to correct them selves. By using the using the application the OP mentioned its instant calibration and you don't necessarily have to run the battery till it dies and it doesn't hurt anything if you do. (this is new technology, li-ion batteries will always have a charge even when your phone dies)

OP, yes, the process is that simple and fast. It may take a day or 2 for it to be noticeable if you don't let it die.

RangerAL

Reaction score
*22899 ? What are PRL's? Enlighten me.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Like I said, in order to PROPERLY calibrate your battery you do need to be rooted. Doing your method takes a while for the battery stats to correct them selves. By using the using the application the OP mentioned its instant calibration and you don't necessarily have to run the battery till it dies and it doesn't hurt anything if you do. (this is new technology, li-ion batteries will always have a charge even when your phone dies)

OP, yes, the process is that simple and fast. It may take a day or 2 for it to be noticeable if you don't let it die.

I doubt that the phone's manufacturer would say that rooting is the way to properly calibrate. In my experience, the method I mentioned works well and is the proper and only way for stock phones. The battery stats are correct as soon as the battery is charged fully. Can you explain how your method's "instant calibration" works and why it takes 2 days?

It's true, the phone should prevent the battery from behind discharged (or charged) to the point where damage occurs. I should have said that people shouldn't try to somehow overly discharge nor should they try to run the battery down quickly. And on the other side of things, leaving the phone charging for extended periods ends up cycling the battery thus shortening the battery's overall lifespan so that's not a good idea either.

*22899 ? What are PRL's? Enlighten me.

Yes, I think Verizon recommends doing it every month. It stands for Preferred Roaming List or something--the phone's knowledge of the cell network or some such science.

Last edited:

doogald

Reaction score
I doubt that the phone's manufacturer would say that rooting is the way to properly calibrate. In my experience, the method I mentioned works well and is the proper and only way for stock phones. The battery stats are correct as soon as the battery is charged fully. Can you explain how your method's "instant calibration" works and why it takes 2 days?

It's really not instant calibration at all. What it does is it wipes the battery stats off the phone as if the phone were fresh. Then you really need to do something similar to your procedure anyway - let it discharge well (it doesn't necessarily need to be until loss of power) and then charge full.

So, it's instantly wiping bad battery calibration stats off the phone - a better description.