Battery Analysis

gwnorth

Reaction score
Hey Guys and Merry Christmas to everyone. I am a noob here and have a few issues with the battery life on my new device. I have read a few of the battery threads and adjusted display etc but still find the battery to be awful for a device of this caliber. Looking at the battery manager tab I come up with the following:

2 hours 23 mins since last unplugged
Displ 34% - Lowest setting/Power saver mode
And Sys - 16%
com.motorola.com - 11%
Android OS - 8%
com.motorola.providers.com - 7%
motorola services - 6%
media - 4%
cell standby - 3%
Text messg - 3%
com.android.phone

I have been getting about 5hrs out of each charge with MIN usage. Extremely frustrated with new device. Not sure if it is facebook updates or one of the three downloads I performed. One was the app from this website, second was NESN sports download, and isynchr. I did also link my droid to the facebook app as well. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks......:icon_ banana:

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Downloads will kill your phone if your not connected to wifi, and games will kill battery life was well.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys and Merry Christmas to everyone. I am a noob here and have a few issues with the battery life on my new device. I have read a few of the battery threads and adjusted display etc but still find the battery to be awful for a device of this caliber. Looking at the battery manager tab I come up with the following:

2 hours 23 mins since last unplugged
Displ 34% - Lowest setting/Power saver mode
And Sys - 16%
com.motorola.com - 11%
Android OS - 8%
com.motorola.providers.com - 7%
motorola services - 6%
media - 4%
cell standby - 3%
Text messg - 3%
com.android.phone

I have been getting about 5hrs out of each charge with MIN usage. Extremely frustrated with new device. Not sure if it is facebook updates or one of the three downloads I performed. One was the app from this website, second was NESN sports download, and isynchr. I did also link my droid to the facebook app as well. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks......:icon_ banana:

"For a device like this"…..You are going to use a lot of battery just with regular use. From your read outs I don't see anything out of the normal.

Like I tell everyone, invest in a backup battery, a wall charger and maybe a car charger. Battery is inexpensive on Amazon. I'm not sure about wall chargers for the X.

What's going to happen is you will be using it less then what you are now. See you're worried about the battery so you're checking the battery read out, which uses display and that's the #1 battery user. You should get about 8 hours minimum out of a battery, I think. So when you have the extra batteries you won't be worried about these things, you will use it less and by doing that actually extend your battery life.

OP
G

gwnorth

Reaction score
Also of note is that it is constantly turning off and on, saying Droid often. Seems half the time I put display to sleep it actually shuts off instead. Twice has made a short beep mid call and shut itself off, even with 50% battery left. Frustrated with DX! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.....

CD95YJ

Reaction score
I would say that's an entirely different issue

Scubamike

Reaction score
Your post doesn't tell us anything useful. After 2 hours and 23 minutes, what percent of battery life were you at. Also, how minutes of display comprised 34% of the battery usage? If your phone was at 50% and 20 minutes of display ate up 34% of your battery then I would complain too. If your phone was at 90% with 60 minutes of display being only 34% I'd say "be happy".

My personal experience with the stock battery is about 14 - 18 hours with 2 to 2.5 hours of screen time and 1.5 hours of talk time. Who cares what ate up a bigger percentage? My normal usage includes texting, e-mail, surfing the web, twitter, light gaming, listening to 30 minutes of podcasts, etc... I am not a believer in second batteries, extra chargers, etc... My phone is used for business and it had better last, which it certainly does.

If I am in a weak signal area, which is rare, my phone dies after 12 hours or less.

My personal record for battery usage on the STOCK battery is 29 hours.

Here is a link to a youtube video I posted showing the stats.

[video=youtube;PnJ9EhBO7jA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnJ9EhBO7jA[/video]

LilTortillaBoy

Reaction score
Wow. I get about 20-24hrs with light use, 15-19 with moderate use and 5-9 with heavy duty use. All with the stock battery. Don't know what the problem could be with your battery dying that fast with such light use. Only thing I could come up with is a faulty battery maybe?

K20turbo

Reaction score
Your post doesn't tell us anything useful. After 2 hours and 23 minutes, what percent of battery life were you at. Also, how minutes of display comprised 34% of the battery usage? If your phone was at 50% and 20 minutes of display ate up 34% of your battery then I would complain too. If your phone was at 90% with 60 minutes of display being only 34% I'd say "be happy".

My personal experience with the stock battery is about 14 - 18 hours with 2 to 2.5 hours of screen time and 1.5 hours of talk time. Who cares what ate up a bigger percentage? My normal usage includes texting, e-mail, surfing the web, twitter, light gaming, listening to 30 minutes of podcasts, etc... I am not a believer in second batteries, extra chargers, etc... My phone is used for business and it had better last, which it certainly does.

If I am in a weak signal area, which is rare, my phone dies after 12 hours or less.

My personal record for battery usage on the STOCK battery is 29 hours.

Here is a link to a youtube video I posted showing the stats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnJ9EhBO7jA

You should start believing because investing in a second charger is well worth the 5 bucks. I leave one at work, car, and one at home. These were by far the best investments for my phone. My typical day is wake up 4 30 am, gym, work by noon I would need a charge by five if I go straight home I would have 20-40 % left. If I decide to go out I could leave it at the car for thirty Mins and it would b at 80% if I go home ill leave it on the charger over time. The cost of the charger was worth ten messily bucks that beats the hassle of unplugging my charger and bringing it around with me everywhere I go
Like having late dinner or going to a local bar I could have it charged through the car charger. It was 3.88 shipped through amazon what a deal.... also I am using the wall charger that came with my Motorola h17txt bluetooth at work perfectly fine

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

TheLastNative

Reaction score
My personal record is 28 hours and 55 minutes and it hadn't died yet. It was just a 15% battery alert. So I can prove, along with scubamike, that it is possible. This is one of the most powerful phones out there, I felt like mine needed a good amount of conditioning before it got to optimal performance.

I've been getting around 22 hours no problem with good usage. Give it some time and always lock your phone immediately finishing with whatever you're doing. That's what I do and I'm a heavvyyy texter.

Edit: Didn't notice it was Droid X...I've got Droid 2 :/

dirtyfingers

Reaction score
I ordered a spare battery from amazon the other day for $7 like hookbill suggested. I was wondering if this is the same battery that comes with the phone or if it is just a cheap knock off that doesn't work as good. In the picture it has all the same markings as the original battery and has the motorola brand on it.

Rocko

Reaction score
I ordered a spare battery from amazon the other day for $7 like hookbill suggested. I was wondering if this is the same battery that comes with the phone or if it is just a cheap knock off that doesn't work as good. In the picture it has all the same markings as the original battery and has the motorola brand on it.

Link to battery please.

Charge the battery up with supplied charger to 100%, reboot the phone, don't download anything and report back how long before it gets to 15% and what you did with it during that time.

Rocko

Reaction score