Battery actually discharges while connected to car dock and car power adapter

AlexSB

Reaction score
Watchdog is a must have app I recommend it to not only everyone's TB but to every phone. Try that and see if there's any app that you thought you exited but was still running in the background

AWESOMEbolt

tnronin

Reaction score
I would like to adds that the Verizon chargers aren't all that. I have one and had to quit using it because it was one of those wonkie ones. Kept activating my screen and could not keep up with charging while running navigation and beyond pod. I also noticed an extreme slow down afterwards as well. I trashed it after a couple episodes like that.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

PhishyKris

Reaction score
I have not been able to find a cigarette lighter adapted that will above enough charge onto the phone to keep it moving in the right direction.

Luckily I have an AC adapter so I just use that.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Snow02

Reaction score
Just look for one rated at 1 amp. My motorola one is close at 950 mA.

And the phone may stop charging if it gets too hot. Just something to look out for.

OP
A

anubis442

Reaction score
I returned my phone yesterday for my earpiece speaker problem and the new phone chargers fine while using the NAVI with my VZ car charger. It must have been something with that particular phone I guess.

thmorrill

Reaction score
Have the same issue, but a task killer and using the lowest brightness that is still viewable works for me and I use Car Home Ultra with some additional settings that allow less frequent updating.

bhall238

Reaction score
I've heard again and again don't use a task killer. I know for a fact that I've stopped running applications manually and gone back in and found them running again. But back to the battery issue, I had this happen recently. I should mention too that I have a Thunderbolt with the official HTC 2750 mAh battery. I charged it fully overnight then turned it off. The green LED turned orange indicating it was charging again. I think this is called bump charging and I gather normal. When it turned green again I unplugged it and changed the battery back (all with the phone still off) to the stock slim one to make sure that battery was charged (still waiting for the desktop dock for charging 2 batteries at once). After bumping that one as well, I put the extended back in with the phone still OFF. The LED came on orange again and stayed that way for a while. This thing discharges batteries even while off! I wonder what it was doing.

As far as the car charger, I just bought the dual USB cigarette charging device but have not used it yet. Anyone have any experience with that one? What is the output of that thing?

OP
A

anubis442

Reaction score
Watchdog is a must have app I recommend it to not only everyone's TB but to every phone. Try that and see if there's any app that you thought you exited but was still running in the background

AWESOMEbolt

just installed it, thanks for recommending it.

iRenegade

Reaction score
I just used my NAV yesterday for the first time and encountered the same issue on a 3 hour drive. I am assuming from this thread that the direct car to TB charger is too weak. I do have an AC adapter/charger I can try, but can anyone recommend a brand or source for a direct charger?
Pretty decent map/GPS BTW, my Magellan and Mio may be passed on after a couple more trial runs. Does the Google Nav have live traffic updates/rerouting or can anyone recommend an app?
Thanks!

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Does this happen to anyone else? I live in a 4g area and my battery can't charge the phone fast enough to even keep up while using the navigation. What is the point then?! It is very frustrating. I love this phone but this one is really bothering me since I used to use my Droid all the time as a GPS nav. Is there a higher power car adapter I should be using?

You need to purchase a car charger that outputs 1A or close to it, because that is what the wall charger outputs. Your typical car charger outputs 500mA, which is half the output of the wall charger that comes with the phone. These TB are power hungry devices. I use my Moto car charger from my last phone because it outputs 950mA, which is pretty much 1A.

Last edited: