Bad Radio? Can a ROM help?

Jacktheknife

Reaction score
Ever since I upgraded to jb ota I have had turrible serviced, both for calls and data. It was suggested that I may have a corrupted radio. I am using safestrap to load other roms and am seeing no improvement. Can a rom help in this situation, or do I need to fix them radio on the jb ota?

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Ever since I upgraded to jb ota I have had turrible serviced, both for calls and data. It was suggested that I may have a corrupted radio. I am using safestrap to load other roms and am seeing no improvement. Can a rom help in this situation, or do I need to fix them radio on the jb ota?
factory reset the phone and reflash the os (it is packed into sbf file found here) with a program called rsd lite. don't forget to charge the phone to 100% and remember to install the Motorola drivers.
[video=youtube;8CSSO_M8VbU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8CSSO_M8VbU[/video]

OP
Jacktheknife

Jacktheknife

Reaction score
OK, will give it a shot. Do you recommend 9.8.20-72_VZW-18 or 9.8.20-72_VZW-18-2?

Also, will this affect safestrap?

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
OK, will give it a shot. Do you recommend 9.8.20-72_VZW-18 or 9.8.20-72_VZW-18-2?

Also, will this affect safestrap?

use 9.8.20-72_VZW-18-2
uninstall safe strap before you do any of this it could cause a brick if it is installed (uninstall the recovery and app). when the phone is reset use the latest version of razr blade by rosenburg. it is more complicated this time tho. you got to reset smart actions and make a battery saver profile to root it(the root script prompts you to do so) http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/t...ows-razr-blade-droid-razr-41-jb-root-exploit/

OP
Jacktheknife

Jacktheknife

Reaction score
That's what I used to root last time. Making a backup of liquid and hoping for the best.

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
That's what I used to root last time. Making a backup of liquid and hoping for the best.
don't bother backing up liquid. it may have bad data which may give you a problem when you restore it. the best method is to format your sd before the factory reset and install liquid on a clean rom slot. this will ensure less errors.

OP
Jacktheknife

Jacktheknife

Reaction score
OK, clean slate mode. I will let you know tomorrow if the reception is better during my commute.

OP
Jacktheknife

Jacktheknife

Reaction score
Seemed to be about the same. I am going to try to get a new SIM card after work today. Also, I think I may be able to take the antenna off of my old phone if that doesn't fix it.

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Seemed to be about the same. I am going to try to get a new SIM card after work today. Also, I think I may be able to take the antenna off of my old phone if that doesn't fix it.

yeah dont do that lol you will just butcher a phone and get prob worse reception. try the sim if u want tho. what kinda reception are you gettin? it could be a software prob with the jb update.

OP
Jacktheknife

Jacktheknife

Reaction score
I get 3g and 4g in and near towns, but when traveling between towns I lose all reception including calling and texting. From what I've read the antenna is located on the back housing, which i've already had off of the broken phone when i replaced the screen a while back. If it still isnt fixed after the sim card i will look into making the swap to rule out one more possibility.

OP
Jacktheknife

Jacktheknife

Reaction score
Still had poor reception after getting the SIM card replaced. Just swapped out the board with the antenna on it, won't know until my commute if it will help.

Froyo

Reaction score
I get 3g and 4g in and near towns, but when traveling between towns I lose all reception including calling and texting. From what I've read the antenna is located on the back housing, which i've already had off of the broken phone when i replaced the screen a while back. If it still isnt fixed after the sim card i will look into making the swap to rule out one more possibility.

This has happened to me as well. I'm fairly certain it's just a bad radio, because I noticed my signal drastically decline, with constant falling back to 3g all day... right about the time I got my replacement phone from Asurion. Now, my natural inclination would be to blame Asurion for sending me some refurbished POS like they usually do. However, this was a brand new Droid 4 in it's own sealed box. (Actually, they did originally send me a refurb, which had a busted power button, so I called them that night, sent it back to them the next day, and then after that, I recieved my brand new Droid 4...)

...with a brand new ****ty radio. So, with that in mind, I think swapping out the phone will be your best bet. Keep us updated if you do get a new phone, and what the outcome is. Because if it does make a big difference, I may call Asurion and tell them to send me another one as well. I'm sure it'll be another refurb, but finally being able to keep a steady signal again is well worth the trade off.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I've tried the swapping of the sim with mine as well, didn't help me at all either.

OP
Jacktheknife

Jacktheknife

Reaction score
Swapped out the antenna last night, no improvement there either. I am really thinking this is an issue with jb.