Bad Digitizer?

notphilip

Reaction score
So recently, my phone has been acting really funky with false touchscreen inputs. It began when I had Simply Stunning 5.2 on it, so I wiped everything x3 and installed SS 5.4. The problem got worse, so I tried a froyo rom which also did not help.

Now I'm back to the stock 2.2.2 rom/kernel, and it has greatly reduced how much it occurs, but it still happens. It seems that whenever I try to do anything that makes the cpu have to work hard, then it triggers the false touches to begin again.

3rd party chargers seem to worsen the situation, though using the original charger doesn't necessarily fix it either.

Is this necessarily just a bad digitizer? The fact that the rate of incidence seems to be positively correlated with cpu usage, 3rd party charging, 3rd party kernels/roms makes me think that there may be something else going on...

Any ideas?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Third party chargers are always a bad thing.

Possibly a bad digitizer, but ROMs aren't "3rd" party, as they use the OTA and AOSP from source.

Any moisture in your area? I noticed this phenomenon when I was skiing over the winter. There was a fog on the screen and the screen was very jumpy.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
N

notphilip

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm going to use the official charger exclusively until I can resolve this. Sorry for my misuse of terms, but I think you get what I mean.

I do live in a HUMID swamp, so that may explain things. However I did not experience this problem last summer. Regardless, it is unusable in its current state and there is no refuge from the humidity :(

I'm waiting on squaretrade to get back to me for making a mechanical defect claim, but if there is possibly something I am overlooking to fix this on the software side of things, that would be much preferred to shipping it out/paying a deductible.

illegalsmile

Reaction score
does your phone act like it's possessed? pressing random buttons and opening random programs at will?

my lady friend had this too and i put on SS 5.4 and when it works it works great but when it acts up it's REALLY annoying, can be hard to make a call or do anything sometimes.

We live in the desert where it's pretty dry and the phone stays dry. I think her hardware is bad. Of course she's eligible for an "early" upgrade for the "low" cost of $20 (plus new 2 year contract and cost of subsidized phone). Since she's out of warranty there's nothing Verizon can do. As much as I love technology (DX myself) I really hate this facet of planned obsolescence these companies swindle us with. Having played with her D1 with SS5.4 it runs SO smooth and really nice when the hardware (touchscreen) isn't acting up.

BUILD BETTER HARDWARE ASSHOLES.