Bad data reception problems

stopswitch

Reaction score
I live well within a LTE area and my phone has horrible problems maintaining a data connection. It keeps dropping from 1X to 3G to 4G to nothing. This is a huge disappointment seeing how I came from a OG droid phone which constantly had 3G full bars in my area(literally everywhere). The phone is very impressive with data speeds when it does work (1/10th of the time).

I left my house and took the phone on the road in San Diego, the phone still has a problem maintaining a data connection, OUTSIDE!

Has anyone else had this problem? Is the phone a dud? If Verizon cannot resolve this issue in 15days, I'm returning my phone, a smartphone is POINTLESS without a stable connection(when you're in a known good area).

xXJakeXx

Reaction score
Yes sir I'm in SD too live in lakeside travel to santee all the time dropping a lot same as you from 4g to 3g to 1x to nothing a whole help of a lot!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

itzjonjon69

Reaction score
i had flawless connection yesterday, but today i too noticed that my phone would go from 4G to 3G, to 1X and i would have no data connection also. I think they're doing something to the network

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Had this issue today and a reboot fixed it...for me at least.

Sent down via a Bolt of lightning!!

metstang

Reaction score
I'm in Miramar and had the same issue. Went to the Verizon store and was told that the problem was due to the 4G network being overloaded. They are supposed to have it fixed sometime this weekend.

Reaction score
i just started having problems with my phone yesterday. i work in an area that has 4g but was getting 1x instead. after maybe 30 minutes i got 4g on my phone and was able to maintain that. once i got home i went back to 1x and stayed there... i live in a 3g area. i was able to send and receive text messages but by midnight i couldn't do anything so i just shut the phone off. isn't the phone supposed to default to 3g if 4g service can't be reached?

biglipps66

Reaction score
Mine was whacked out too. I rely on my phone for work purposes. I just took it back. My D1 works perfect in the same spot that my TB failed miserably.

joewilly013

Reaction score
Same issue for me (as mentioned on other threads). Try different locations in your city- VZW told me they believe some towers might be having issues. Have them set up a trouble ticket to inspect your area- they told me that 4G tickets are getting highest priority and are getting 24-48 be turnaround.

When LTE works, it is nothing short of incredible. I'm starting to believe it could be a location specific issue, because some areas in Phoenix provide me flawless and fast LTE, while other areas (well within the LTE coverage zone) constantly bounce between 3g, 1x, and no data (while my old Droid shows solid 3g the entire time)

PhishyKris

Reaction score
Having the same problem in LA. I think its a tower issue because there are spots where its perfect. I was at my gym today and it didn't have a data connection the entire time. Just couldn't hold it. No 1x, 3g, or LTE...nothing. drive down the road 4 miles and was flying again.

Where the LTE icon is there is nothing and then its back and then It's gone and then...you get the picture.

gvanmeter

Reaction score
I have had the same problems...I think it's a phone issue because we all have issues with it and restarting the phone fixes it and it even does it when I program the phone to do 3G only. The next thing I'm going to try is a task killer to see if it's some kind of software issue.

joewilly013

Reaction score
I doubt if its software, I had the same problems before I installed a single app.

vzwtek

Reaction score
It is a sim provisioning issue.

One way to keep it from dropping back and forth is to force it into 3g only.

HTC Thunderbolt - XDA-Developers

go to the bottom for the how to.

This way it wont go back and forth killing your battery.

I wouldn't say its a network issue, if it were it would or wouldn't be there. Not just kinda.

Seems to be an issue with 4g authentication is my guess. Anyone try a hard reset?

And its not the 4g network being overloaded. Because then it wouldnt show only 1x, it would stick in 3g and not attempt to return to 4g if the spectrum isnt there.

Again, I think its a provisioning related issue related to it attempting to control both 4g and voice on the device in the local switch.

joewilly013

Reaction score
Putting it in 3G only mode doesn't help for me- it still hops between 3g, 1x, and no data

vzwtek

Reaction score
Huh, thats weird.
Did you try cutting off data roaming and putting it in home only in the wireless settings, network menu?
I would try that, if to no avail, wipey wipe wipe.

PhishyKris

Reaction score
Well...whatever was completely screwed up yesterday seems to be gone today. I had no connectvity issues today where I had little to no data consistency yesterday. The LTE/3G icon was in and out and today LTE was there and strong all day long!