Data connection problems

tmal2

Reaction score
My Thunderbolt is driving me nuts and I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same problem. I keep losing my data connection and it's got nothing to do with being in an area that has poor coverage. I'm talking about losing it on major highways in metropolitan areas. I'll be going down the road with everything working fine and my data connections just vanishes. I'll be scrolling through Facebook posts for example and see a picture a friend posted. I'll click on the picture and get a message saying I'm not connected to the network when I just was 2 seconds earlier. When I look at the top of my phone to see what's in the notification bar my 3G or 4G symbol will be gone and there is nothing there. Eventually it comes back but it's really driving me nuts now. It's gotten much worse since 4G was introduced into my area.
I don't know if it's a 4G/3G handoff issue or something else but I'm tired of it happening.

One other thing I've noticed is I also have a handoff issue when going from WiFi back the Verizon's data network. I usually have my phone set to automatically connect to my home network whenever I am there (Wifi is always toggled on). Lately it will take anywhere between 5-10 minutes once I've pulled out of my driveway and gotten out of range for the 3G or 4G symbol to show. I've complained to Verizon about this numerous times and there answer is that the WiFi to Verizon network can take some time and it's normal. Their suggestion was to turn WiFi off completely and just use network data since I'm on an unlimited plan.

I've had this phone since April and never had problems like this until the past few months. Is anyone else having this problem and were you able to fix it?

johnd09

Reaction score
The wifi problem could have something to do with the latest software update, but the thunderbolt has always had data problems. It sounds like the phone is having a hard time locking onto 3g or 4g. Have you tried using the lte on/off app to lock it to lte only when your in a 4g area. That should stop it from dropping off 4g, but when you leave a 4g area, be sure to switch it back to CDMA auto or CDMA/EVDO/LTE, otherwise you'll be stuck on 1x.

Sent from my Transformer Prime That Is Taking Over the world.