Backup Questions?

djgdroid

Reaction score
I've need to clarify a few things before I try flashing a ROM

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I believe the backup that you do when you go into Hboot and the clockworkMod is called the nandroid backup? This backup will do a complete backup similar to an image you might do on your computer.

So if that is true, what is the difference between nandroid backup and Titanium backup > backup all user apps + system date? I believe the Titainum backup that I listed backs up everything also, am I right?

smtom

Reaction score
Titanium backup can backup system data.
Following PC image example, would you load system files from a different setup onto a fresh / clean workstation? No. Same premise here, you don't restore system files from ROM A into ROM B. Why? Maybe different framework, Sense or AOSP, etc.
Titanium backup doesn't allow for choosing specific system file, like the kernel, to flash into something other than what it came with. Restored Nandroid backup reloads everything.
Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

OP
djgdroid

djgdroid

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply
My whole purpose is to gather more information before I try flashing a rom again. I thought that I had read though enough posts to know what I was doing, but apparently not. Thanks for the info, I can see the problem with restoring all system data after flashing a ROM.
So, nandroid backup and titanium backup (backup all user apps + system data) are the same thing.
I have Titanium Backup and Rom Manager, so when I flash a rom and I don't have all my apps showing up do I use titanium backup and just "restore missing apps with data"? Not all system data

tweebee

Incredible RS
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yes, after flashing a ROM, "restore missing apps with data" will restore your missing user apps and their data.

OP
djgdroid

djgdroid

Reaction score
Thanks Tweebee I appreciate the confirmation. I'm sure after I do a ROM or two I'll feel more comfortable. Thanks again

smtom

Reaction score
For the record, they are not the same thing. Nandroid backs up the bootloader, cache, and other base level things that TB cannot. TB may be best thought of, practically, as an enhanced means to backup apps. It is by no means a 'system restore point.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

OP
djgdroid

djgdroid

Reaction score
Smtom,
Thanks for taking the time to clarify that. Knowledge is a good thing